Worth Buying?

Pinola

Hi all,

Lunar sale on steam right now, and I'm wondering if it`s worth buy the module now or wait for BS3, since seems is going to be released this year...

Btw, I don`t have rudders pedals and find the huey really hard to fly, is the same with this bird?

Thank you!!

M2000 | Mig-21 | Mig-15 | F-14 | UH-1H HUEY | A-10C II | MB-339A | A-4E-C | F-18 | F-86 | KA-50 | F-16 |AH-64D| NTTR | PG |

AMD RYZEN 5 2400G 3.9GHz + RX 580 8GB OC + 32Gb + 1TB SSD

Its probably my favorite DCS helo module. And what everyone else said on price/BS3, though I can't imagine using a twist grip for choppers, but in this case figuring out how the AP is trying to kill you is the most important thing, and once that's solved its fairly easy to fly compared to the huey.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Lunar sale on steam right now, and I'm wondering if it`s worth buy the module now or wait for BS3, since seems is going to be released this year...

Yes, it's a good buy any time it's on sale.

The main 2.5.x issue that I'm aware of is it's "deferred lighting" and the Ka-50's cockpit panel lights i.e. Auto-pilot heading, roll, pitch buttons don't illuminate or are reversed (light when off).

Ricardo's cockpit mod fixes most of it but is imperfect.

Btw, I don`t have rudders pedals and find the huey really hard to fly, is the same with this bird?

The Ka-50 makes extensive use of it's auto-pilot, so is "easier" to fly but you'll still use the trimmer switch to disable the auto-pilot/use the rudder, when taking off or landing.

If you are able to fly the huey, you should be ok.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Indeed, regarding the twist-grip. "Normal" helicopters like the Huey have the anti torque rotor that needs constant (sometimes static) adjustment due to several phenomena, tedious with twist-grip.

The Ka-50 on the other hand has the coaxial twin rotors, effectively canceling the need for anti torque, hence much easier for twist-grip users.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I'll be frank in that I'm not sure why you'd want another helo if you don't enjoy the quintessential helo, that is the huey. Rotorwing is rotorwing. The Ka-50 has autopilots and systems to make it way more stable than the huey, but it is still a helicopter and not a fixed wing. I wouldn't want you to waste your money is all. Maybe helicopters aren't your thing? I dunno. I got the Ka-50 because I love helicopters.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

It’s a great module, and you’ll get the cockpit/model/lighting fixes free regardless of whether you buy BS3 or not.

The 3rd edition has some systems added the real aircraft never had so that people can use it as it was never intended to be used...

If you’re happy with having only systems actually fitted, and flying it within the circumstances it would actually have been used in, no reason not to get it now.

Also - it’s fine with a twist stick - the only tricky thing is the AP, so depress the trimmer, change attitude, let the aircraft stabilise THEN release the trimmer.

Edit, why you’d like it more than the Huey is that it’s easier to fly, easier to land, easier to hover, faster, tougher, has better weapons, has a targeting pod and has stand-off capabilities...

And GPS and a real auto pilot :-)

Edited by Weta43

Cheers.

Yes.

It's the first module I bought (back when it was just Ka-50 Back Shark and DCS was a glint in Oleg's eye) and it's the only one I really use. In spite of spending hundreds of pounds on several others.

The Gazelle is good but is just a trainer to me (because it's what I learned to fly a helicopter on). The Huey and Mi-8 don't really have missions or mission configs that light my candle so until the Hind arrives it's Black Shark all the way...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wildcards BlackJack_sml.jpg

Do it for sure.

Part of the reason to choose this even if you aren't super in love with the huey is that it's a WAY more capable aircraft in every way aside from transport.

It kills the ever loving heck out of a LOT of stuff. If you run VR then the HMS is super, SUPER fun.

Yeah it's got its warts, but those will be fixed soon :). "soon" :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Its probably my favorite DCS helo module. And what everyone else said on price/BS3, though I can't imagine using a twist grip for choppers, but in this case figuring out how the AP is trying to kill you is the most important thing, and once that's solved its fairly easy to fly compared to the huey.

Yea, I agree with all this. The shark is a blast to fly. I can't imagine flying any helo without pedals, but of all of them blackshart would be the easiest to do so

Interestingly, it's the only one I've managed to autorotate so far, largely cuz it can keep flying with damage that would send any other copter to the ground in flames...it's kinda funny to watch an autorotation after the whole book has gotten blown off!:megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

Soon we'll have an updated cockpit, like the one for the a-10c; BS3 will come later and there will be a discount for BS2 owners, while it's likely that when BS3 will be out it will be sold full price, so it's ok to buy it now: maybe you can save some money buying BS2 now with sales and then upgrade to BS3 with BS2 owners discount. No worry for the pedals because in the black shark, since it has no tail rotor, the use of pedals is not so important as in huey or mi-8.

Edited by nessuno0505

I find the pedals are most important on the busy, followed by on the gazelle. You can get by in most situations with out them on the flying school bus .. unless you're trying to land precisely or doing slingload...ka50 gets some use out of them, but they're least needed on the shark compared to the other 3

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

That being said, the pedals are a worthwhile investment that enhance all the aircraft, once I had them I wouldn't want to do without (kinda like vr :). )

System:

Definitely worth the money Especially since it's on special.Once you figure out the trim and stop feeling like the helicopter hates you and want's you dead you'll have a ball in it. The Vikhr Missiles are no joke either they wreck stuff, Very Satisfyingly.Enjoy:pilotfly:

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas. 

No question, great price for a great module. BS is one of my favorites. I would strongly encourage pedals. I plan on getting the BS3 myself,,, I started with BS1, no regrets. For the price, you at least get a handle on it so you can decide if you really want BS3.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Thank you all for the advices! I went for it and it seems a very interesting module. Didn`t have much time to fly it, but I saw why everybody talks about trimming. I reset the trimmer and the Bs went 90º nose up!!

@Relic, don`t get me wrong, I love the huey, is the chopper I grew up seeing in the sky, but without peddals is hard to master.

M2000 | Mig-21 | Mig-15 | F-14 | UH-1H HUEY | A-10C II | MB-339A | A-4E-C | F-18 | F-86 | KA-50 | F-16 |AH-64D| NTTR | PG |

AMD RYZEN 5 2400G 3.9GHz + RX 580 8GB OC + 32Gb + 1TB SSD

I recommend getting yourself some pedals once your budget allows, you won't be disappointed. Useful for all aircraft, especially so for helos

System:

Yeah you won't generally need trimmer "reset" much... unles something quite bad has happened...

You will need the trim button though. A lot :).

The idea is to hold the trim button while changing the aircraft's attitude, then release trim when the airframe stabilizes. You'll be HOLDING the trim button IN a LOT.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I just hopped back in this module last night, took off from the Kuz, and landed in the Petr Veliky. I bought the original when it was stand alone almost 11 years ago. It was overwhelming to me then, twist grip Saitek, etc. Now it feels better than the other helos, I have pedals and VR. Incredible experience. Still can be a handful in normal flight, (though it helped I learned to fly a real helo). Go for it, much enjoyment there!

It is easy. You have to press and hold the trim button while you are performing a maneuver, and release the trim after you finish the maneuver and stabilize the helicopter. For your understanding of how the trim works: when you are pressing the trim button autopilot is giving you control on the helicopter, and when you release the trim the autopilot takes control over the helicopter again.

Edited by f1rst

Yes my favorite module I invest a lot of time to learn it... still not fill comfortable for 100% ;) but pedals IMHO is a must I have "Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals" not the best but they do their job, better then nothing...

Take a look my mods :joystick: 

dcs_footer500.jpg

CPU: i7 7700 | GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DDR5 | Motherboard: ASUSTeK PRIME B250M-A | RAM: 2x16GB DDR4-2400 | Output: Kingston HyperX Cloud II | Edifier C2XD 2.1 | Controlls: Saitek X-56 Rhino | Saitek Flight Rudder Pedals | Saitek Multi/Radio/Switch Panels | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Elgato Stream Deck XL | OpenTrack with LaserClip | VoiceAttack with VAICOM Pro plugin