Intermediate Experienced DCS User w a few MORE F-14 Questions

redmantab

Can you kind folks help me with these ?

1 - Buffet Shaking is the console and everything in front of me shaking as I turn etc?

2 - I've watched other videos of F-14 DCS and their VDI looks almost like a map of the ground in more detail than anything I've been doing. How ? Also, during a night mission my VDI was red...how do I make it green as I'm used to?

3 - Answered **

4 - Sparrows. When I swap to sparrows from guns, then sidewinder, then SP on the flight stick they don't always fire dependably like the sidewinders. What gives? Do I need to do something else to use them?

5 - When about to engage air to air with the F-14, do you typically always want to jettison the drop tanks? That's alot of fuel to dump even when traveling far they hold ALOT. With that in mind, I'm enjoying trying instant action Persian Gulf summer of 88 mission...where you launch from a carrier and engage about 100 miles north. What would you do? Burners until within 25 miles of the enemy and then drop tanks for increased maneuverability? Or did F-14 Pilots typically always keep drop tanks anyway for their long range?

6 - After using the P-15, F-5, Mirage 2000, and now the F-14 it seems as if the F-14 has a much larger fuel capacity and flight range. Also a much faster speed, even than the Mirage. Am I right on this overall?

1- watch your AoA. Remember, no FBW to smooth the edges of flight if you're throwing the stick around.

2- Probably the TID repeater switch on the right? That display can show either the HSD or the TID. To change colors of the top display... Click on it in the middle to add/remove the night filter. The HUD is handled by the white ring to the right.

4- You activated missile prep before? No missile prep means you don't get a hot trigger.

5- That entirely depends on the situation. Cookie cutter answers may not apply here.

6- Yes, it's a long range interceptor.

5: I never jett the drop tanks. Usually they're empty by the time I'm in a fight though.

I only ever jett them if I've got a super long leg to make it back to mother, and need the jet in as clean a config as possible, or if I'm intercepting or running and speed is of the essence.

-SnakeShit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Peace through Superior Firepower

EVERYTHING YOU'LL EVER NEED FOR LOMAC:

http://flankertraining.com/ironhand/news.html

1. It's just proper simulation of RL buffeting.

2. Maybe it was TCS (TV Camera Set) you saw? You choose this view changing VDI mode on the pilot's right control panel.

4. Did you have a lock?

5. If you have any slight chance of ending up in a dogfight - drop'em. Taking the risks is suicidal.

6. F-15 is comparable. Others not much.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1. It's just proper simulation of RL buffeting.

2. Maybe it was TCS (TV Camera Set) you saw? You choose this view changing VDI mode on the pilot's right control panel.

4. Did you have a lock?

5. If you have any slight chance of ending up in a dogfight - drop'em. Taking the risks is suicidal.

6. F-15 is comparable. Others not much.

I'm on a mission where I have to fly about 90 miles from the aircraft carrier and then dog fight. Would I really dropped the tanks that far away dog fight with afterburners and then have enough fuel to make it back?

Also, separately, I know where all the lights are on the bottom right side panel... And I can't for the life of me get them all to turn on. What gives?

I'm on a mission where I have to fly about 90 miles from the aircraft carrier and then dog fight. Would I really dropped the tanks that far away dog fight with afterburners and then have enough fuel to make it back?

You should... how long are your dogfights lasting that you are running out of fuel in a Tomcat at that range? Even in a Hornet you should still have fuel to spare and she doesn't have anywhere near the legs of a Tomcat.

You should... how long are your dogfights lasting that you are running out of fuel in a Tomcat at that range? Even in a Hornet you should still have fuel to spare and she doesn't have anywhere near the legs of a Tomcat.

Well, ummm, sometimes I'd dead right off the bat or other times I have a hard time maneuvering to get the enemy in front of me and out from behind my back.

Should I just be letting sidewinders fly right off the bat? I know this could be answered in such a long discussion, but generalities here can help a new guy out. Thanks

Also, separately, I know where all the lights are on the bottom right side panel... And I can't for the life of me get them all to turn on. What gives?

If BVR has failed and you are merging with a bandit, entering a dogfight is a survival situation...think hand to hand combat, trench warfare. You make the Tomcat as maneuverable as possible (drop the tanks) and do whatever it takes to survive, then worry about getting home. With that said, make sure there is tanker support nearby to help get you back home.

As for the lights...internal or external? If external, make sure you are using the pinky switch on the throttle to turn them on/off. If internal, just increase the numbers on the dials until the desired light level is achieved.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Well, ummm, sometimes I'd dead right off the bat or other times I have a hard time maneuvering to get the enemy in front of me and out from behind my back.

Should I just be letting sidewinders fly right off the bat? I know this could be answered in such a long discussion, but generalities here can help a new guy out. Thanks

Far from any expertise here so this is an in my opinion but it depends on the scenario. If facing off against a more manoeuvrable opponent than yes, get the shot off, force them to evade your missile while you clear out and reposition for another attack or bug out. If you are confident you can take them on then dogfight to gain optimal firing position (6 o'clock) and let the missile off the rail.

Once you commit to a dogfight thought likely only one of you is going home so commit to win that fight which includes dropping your tanks.

Would I really dropped the tanks that far away dog fight with afterburners and then have enough fuel to make it back? ?

Well, its more than possible to turn fight with your tanks still attached and win, but the Tomcat guzzles fuel like nothing when you're in full AB and keep it there, so I guess it also depends on your fuel management, that extra bit of fuel could help.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh and anyone on the Tomcat's exterior lights?!

For the external lights, after you have switch them on from the right console, you have to light them up using a switch on the trhrottle (see pag 28 of the manual).

Gibo

Can you kind folks help me with these ?

1 - Buffet Shaking is the console and everything in front of me shaking as I turn etc?

2 - I've watched other videos of F-14 DCS and their VDI looks almost like a map of the ground in more detail than anything I've been doing. How ? Also, during a night mission my VDI was red...how do I make it green as I'm used to?

3 - Answered **

4 - Sparrows. When I swap to sparrows from guns, then sidewinder, then SP on the flight stick they don't always fire dependably like the sidewinders. What gives? Do I need to do something else to use them?

5 - When about to engage air to air with the F-14, do you typically always want to jettison the drop tanks? That's alot of fuel to dump even when traveling far they hold ALOT. With that in mind, I'm enjoying trying instant action Persian Gulf summer of 88 mission...where you launch from a carrier and engage about 100 miles north. What would you do? Burners until within 25 miles of the enemy and then drop tanks for increased maneuverability? Or did F-14 Pilots typically always keep drop tanks anyway for their long range?

6 - After using the P-15, F-5, Mirage 2000, and now the F-14 it seems as if the F-14 has a much larger fuel capacity and flight range. Also a much faster speed, even than the Mirage. Am I right on this overall?

1. The shaking is normal for high AOA. Take it as a warning that you're about to leave what the Tomcat is considering comfortable flight.

2. They're switching to the LANTIRN pod view, you have a switch to the right for that. If the RIO doesn't have LANTIRN enabled, you will get the TCS camera instead. Turn the VDI green or red by clicking onto the middle of it.

4. Never had them not fire reliably. Make sure to hold the button pressed until they release. Some radar missiles be like that.

5. I drop tanks only when I'm about to close in on the enemy in a merge. When I'm still in BVR shooting AIM-54s, I don't see the need to drop tanks just yet when they still got fuel in them.

6. Yes. And no. If you're liberal with your afterburner, the Tomcat burns through its abundant gas faster than any other jet I know.

http://www.csg-2.net/ | i7 7700k - NVIDIA 1080 - 32GB RAM | BKR!

Also, for the external lights, not only do you have to flip on the throttle switch, but on the right console to the left of the dimmer dials, there are position toggle switches for wing (bright/off/dim), tail (bright/off/dim) and another toggle for them to strobe or steady. Below that there is a switch for anti-collision lights which is only on/off. Have all of the above those on as needed.

Also the bottomost dimmer dial controls the brightness of the formation lights, from off to bright.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot