Ground Terrain Mods - Which is best?

Hi all,

The amount of different Ground Texture Modifications (GTMs) out there currently for DCS World 1.5.5 Caucasus region is quite simply staggering. The amount of work gone into each one is extraordinary - congratulations to all.

That said, I wanted to compare what I perceived to be the most popular. Note, I said compare and not review - you are the reviewer - each to their own.

I decided upon, Starways 2.5, Mustangs 1.2 and Barthek's new v7.0.

I compared them all to a vanilla install, with no other mods - v1.5.5.

System settings are shown in the video - sound Db reduced - Jet noise gets a bit much after a while - if you want it, crank up the volume.

Go 1080, full screen - sit back and note the distinct and differing texture styles of each of the variations and make an informed choice of which one is for you. The date for all videos is 01st June. I think this is 'summer' (??)

Do, please, feel free to comment here or on the YouTube page - so....................which is your favourite?

Regards

'T'

3Dom3zBX0Y8

hVBI8wAYUos

Edited by Tyger
  • Like 2

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

PS: Can someone remind me how to embed this video?

Put only 3Dom3zBX0Y8 in youtube tags. See below. You can quote the post to see how the code looks. :)

Nice video. :thumbup:

Edited by grunf

Thanks very much for this. I think in my opinion that the best looking textures according to this video is Mustangs v.12, then Starway's 2.5, then Vanilla's and finally Barthek's GTM. Very nice vid man

I'll try to pop something up here. A real time eater.

Thanks for the suggestion.

'T'

Edited by Tyger

Main Banner.PNG

Thanks. Some people have asked for comparison videos of the different seasons, but i really think that is not necessary. It is very clear which is the most realistic in my view - seasons are irrelevant - but again, my view only.

'T'

Hey just wanted to say thanks for doing this video. Really appreciated and very useful.

Torso

Maybe just add a poll on this thread? the statistics can help everyone....

(Mustang's mod user on this end)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i5 4690K | ASUS Z-97PRO Gaming Mobo | Nvidia Gigabyte GTX970 3.5/0.5 GB Windforce3 | G.Skill Ripjaws-X 2x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Samsung Evo 120GB SSD | Win10 Pro | Antec 750w 80 Bronze Modular

I prefer Barthek s GTM 6.5 because it looks best for planes and helicopters.

I also mixed in some files of Starway.and Mustang (Runways, trees, Buildings, borders) ;)

I agree. B's 6.5 much better than 7.0.

SubZero's mix sounds perfect.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

I haven't tried Mustang's due to having to sign up to the 104th website to download it. I've tried the Starway and Barthek packs and feel like they both shine in different areas. To me Barthek's is much better down low, they just look sharper and a cleaner, Starway's look too blurred down low and at times just messy. Starways look much better up high, more detail, while Barthek's look a little plain up high. Obviously Starway's trees and buildings are also very nice.

To sum up, if I'm flying helicopters or in planes but down low i prefer Barthek's, if I'm flying high i prefer Starway's.

Edit: I used some words like messy and plain but I'm not trying to be insulting towards either of their work. Both are excellent mods, as i said they just shine in different ways.

Edited by Meiz
  • Like 1

You can download the latest version of Mustang's mod without signing up to 104th's, the recent links are at the end of this thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=133618&page=15

For comparison, I would add PicsKing's compilation v 2.2, which combines Barthek's GTM 6.5 (which I like better than 7.0) with objects/infrastructure from Starway and Mustang - sort of a "best of", which I've been using lately.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

You can download the latest version of Mustang's mod without signing up to 104th's, the recent links are at the end of this thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=133618&page=15

For comparison, I would add PicsKing's compilation v 2.2, which combines Barthek's GTM 6.5 (which I like better than 7.0) with objects/infrastructure from Starway and Mustang - sort of a "best of", which I've been using lately.

Picskings is a great mod but a Hybrid - trying to stay with a single 'modder' who owns the mod. That said, it is clear to me that some mods are much better in some areas than others. Perhaps a Hybrid is the way forward?

'T'

Edited by Tyger

Main Banner.PNG

Picskings is a great mod but a Hybrid - trying to stay with a single 'modder' who owns the mod. That said, it is clear to me that some mods are much better in some areas than others. Perhaps a Hybrid is the way forward?

'T'

hi where can I find pickskings mod?

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

I can give you a link if you wanna try ;)

Was hopin you would offer. Thanks loads man.

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

'T'

Last I checked, Picskings nice composite mod was broken by an update.

JUST CHOPPERS

Was hopin you would offer. Thanks loads man.

Try this: Map Caucasus SkinCompilation v2 by Domi

To remember:

• The link above is my personal mix of different Terrain Mods (Bartheks GTM 6.5, Starway, Mustang and my own work).
  • Where possible I have re-saved the files from DXT3 to DXT 1 No Alpha format. This reduced the size of the files per 50% (e.g. noise_mount.bmp.dds from 80MB to 40MB).
  • DO NOT REDISTRIBUTE THIS MOD

My Mods: DCS User Files

Modules owned: EVERY Module :pilotfly:

Good work on the comparison videos.

I'd say Starway's for low altitudes and buildings then a toss-up between Mustang's and Barthek's for mountains. Except that Mustang's mountains seem to be too snowy for June. Do Mustang's vary with the seasons ? Also the Mustang's vid seems blurrier than the others.

I'm currently using Picksking's.

The only part that was broken was the part that included Mustang's Tree Shadow mod.

Edited by Kozmyk

OS:Win10 Home CPU:i7 3770K 3.5(@4.3GHz) COOLER:ZalmanCNPS10X-PERFORMA MOBO:GigabyteGA-Z77X-UD5H SSD#1:SamsungEVO850Pro 500GB SSD#2:SanDisk240GB HDD:2x Seagate2TB GFX:GigabyteGTX670 WF3 2GB OC1058MHz RAM:16GB 16000MHz DDR3 KEYB'Ds:Corsair K95/MS SidewinderX4 MOUSE:LogitechG700s MON:2x ASUS 24” ROUTER:ASUS RT-N66U DarkKnight INTERWEBS:Fibre152Mbps/12Mbps JOYSTICK:TM T16000m Modded THROTTLE:TM TWCS HEADTRACK:TrackIR5Pro