JDAM dual rack always drops both bombs

UrgentSiesta

Hey,

Tried to find answer for this but I must not be seeing it...

If I'm carrying 2 JDAM/JSOW's on a dual rack, and want to drop only one, I'm consistently dropping both with the single pickle press.

I'm seeing some threads about dual racks not being handled quite right by the SMS, but don't know if that's my issue or not?

Seems like QTY only lets me select station's and not an actual qty - or am I missing something else?

The QTY menu selects which stations drop when you press pickle. If you select both racks, both will drop. If you select one, that specific rack will drop (and if it's empty, nothing will drop).

If you deselect all stations on the QTY menu, then one bomb will drop for each press of the pickle button.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

If you deselect all stations on the QTY menu, then one bomb will drop for each press of the pickle button.

I must be confusing Stations and Pylons and Racks?

I thought Stations = Pylons, does that change when a dual rack is mounted to the Pylon (can't try it now as at work)?

Thank you.

A weapon station (hardpoint) is any location where ordnance is loaded, and are generally referred to by their number (Station 1, Station 2, etc). Racks (e.g. BRU-55 for dual JDAM/JSOW) and launchers (e.g. LAU-117 for Mavericks) are mounted on pylons (Hornet wing pylons are SUU-63, centerline is SUU-62). Some ordnance can be loaded directly onto the pylon, such as single JDAMs/JSOWs, or dumb bombs.

For JDAM/JSOW, using QTY will cue up multiple stations to release at the same time, whereas normally it would release in the station release order (8, 2, 7, 3). AFAIK, QTY should not affect how many weapons are released from a dual-rack.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Pylons are bolted to stations. A station is an address, a mental concept and positional definition. It is the name of the location on the airplane. A pylon is a physical structure bolted to a station. Since JDAMs can only be located at stations which also have a pylon attached and only one pylon is on each of those stations, the two words can be used interchangeably. The most technical term would be station since station is the logical location that has the 1760 data cable. The fact that a bit of metal called a pylon attaches items physically is incidental.

In general you choose to box up to four stations to select for quantity release. The quantity desired equals the number of boxed stations. In the case of zero boxed stations single release mode is used which is different. Single release releases one bomb per pickle from the priority station which can be changed by STEP and will change automatically as weapons are released.

Quantity release of 1, 2, 3, or 4 stations selected results in a desired release quantity of 1, 2, 3, or 4 weapons. Weapons will only be released from boxed stations. If a boxed station does not have a weapon to release the desired quantity remains the same and other stations will release more than one weapon to reach the total number of desired releases. E.g. box 3 & 7, 3 has two bombs, 7 has zero. Station 3 will release two weapons.

If there is a particular scenario where the released quantity is different than the number of boxed stations (or QTY number is not equal to this number as well) I have no found it. Please share the exact configuration that causes this.