Best training jet?

The trouble with trainer planes is you still have to go through all the learning and such but it’s an aircraft that just isn’t front line worthy. So there isn’t any real combat capability you get after you’ve gone though all that. Pick a first plane that you find exciting and just dive into it. Truth be told there are no “beginner” aircraft in DCS.
That learning is fundamental, basic. A lot of people doesn't know how to fly properly, because they jumped into the battle, so they just learn how to take off and land but without the basics, they are real ducks in the air.

He said, he already owns a frontline fighter. But he wants to learn properly.

Trainers exists or a reason in RL, so they exists here too for the same reason. To learn the basics. That's the pillar of everything.

Sent from my MiG-29S (9-13S) using Tapatalk

:megalol:

That learning is fundamental, basic. A lot of people doesn't know how to fly properly, because they jumped into the battle, so they just learn how to take off and land but without the basics, they are real ducks in the air.

He said, he already owns a frontline fighter. But he wants to learn properly.

Trainers exists or a reason in RL, so they exists here too for the same reason. To learn the basics. That's the pillar of everything.

The reason trainer aircraft exist IRL is because the actual front line aircraft are to expensive and dangerous for trainees to handle. That limitation doesn’t exist in DCS. Your could jump straight into an F-18 if you wanted to. One thing the trainer aircraft do offer though which is cool for training is the ability to fly with another person as an instructor.

But you could learn the basics of flying in the free TP-51 and Su-25

I'm a complete Noob to DCS and have immediately jumped in head first with the F16, A10, FA/18

Here’s a tip. Pick one. Just learn one of these instead of all at the same time. The F/A-18C isn’t actually that complex if you just focus on that one plane. When you learn one, the others will be easier. But stick to one plane for a significant time and master it. Then move to another.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

The reason trainer aircraft exist IRL is because the actual front line aircraft are to expensive and dangerous for trainees to handle. That limitation doesn’t exist in DCS. Your could jump straight into an F-18 if you wanted to. One thing the trainer aircraft do offer though which is cool for training is the ability to fly with another person as an instructor.

But you could learn the basics of flying in the free TP-51 and Su-25

A trainer is easier ( more stable and slower) to fly and that can help you to focus in the important.

Perform an on- speed correctly. Get out of a spin, learn IFR...

Can you learn all these things in a hornet? Sure, but it will be more difficult.

BTW, you cannot learn proper IFR with a Su-25T or with a TF-51.

:megalol:

A trainer is easier ( more stable and slower) to fly and that can help you to focus in the important.

All the jets are easy to fly, really. They have FBW and such. The WWII are the tough ones to handle. It’s cool that there are trainer aircraft but they don’t excite me enough. My first DCS plane was the A-10C. It’s certainly slow and easy to handle but it’s got all the combat capability to make it more appealing.

If the OP is looking for the easiest of those three he has to simply “fly” then the A-10 is certainly the choice.

Going back to the OPs question. After spending $$$ on those modules I wouldn’t feel compelled to buy more just for learning navigation, you can learn that in any of the planes and it will be the same. The weapon systems will be different but similar, if you learn one that will make the others easier but learn one first.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Someone else recommended the Mirage 2000 and I would second that recommendation for the following reasons:

1. Clickable cockpit but most switches are "set and forget" so you don't need to keep your head down.
  2. Fly by wire shallows the learning curve.
  3. The autopilot is probably the best in the game, and will let you do just about anything while you're playing with switches.
  4. Outstanding HUD helps you with AOA, throttle settings, and approach.
  5. 4th gen technology, but simple system implementation (again, shallows the learning curve).
  6. Good combination of digital and steam gauges, and the analog HSI helps for learning navigation principles.
  7. The training missions and first part of the campaign are geared toward learning the aircraft. Easily one of the best campaigns in DCS.

It may only be Fox-1 capable and carry 4 missiles and limited A/G stores, but it's fun to fly and you can learn the fundamentals before getting in deep with more capable (and therefore more complex) aircraft.

Edited by Home Fries

C-101, enough there to learn advanced procedures without evolving into a permanent HUD cripple. If you can master all it's features you can pretty much move on to anything and fly it well.

L-39 if your into red, nothing in it much compatible with western navigation or weapons systems similarity, its good, but really leads down another path. Navaids are limited map wise.

Every airplane is a trainer. Its the training that makes the training, not the plane.

Modern 4th Generation fighters are purposely easy to fly. If your goal is to fly the latest and greatest, jump right into a F/A18 or F16 and fly a training program in those that doesn't involve the weapons systems.

If you want to learn a bit more about swept wing aerodynamics or handling a (relatively) under powered fighter, train in an F-5, F-86, Mig 21 or Mig 15.

For props, I would start in the P-47. Comparatively easy to operate on the ground and a bulletproof engine.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

Thread itself seems to evolve. The OP was talking about complexity of F16, A10, and F18. Navigation and weapon systems were his own words. Not about how to "fly". Honestly, do you really need to learn how to fly? Make coordinated turns and flaps on F18? You can't learn about BVR tactics of Aim-120 with TWS on C-101.

FC3 planes are where you can learn the basic concepts of weapons and tactics and radar modes without the complex steps of full fidelity. ED actually promotes FC3 as "easing in" module.

"FC3 aircraft provide an easy learning curve for new players and focuses on a broad range of aircraft rather than a detailed single aircraft."

Biggest reason why F16 and F18 are overwhelming for a beginner is due to lack of training missions. Obviously because they're not complete module yet. Even F14 when I tried during free trial was missing quite a few training including BVR and Phoenix. F15C on the other hand existed since LOMAC days and has comprehensive training materials for beginners. If not Full FC3, just pick up F15C for 8 bucks during sale.

Edited by Taz1004

I'd second those who say stick to the original planes you've bought.

- If those planes are the reason you came to DCS the training will be much more enjoyable

- You'll get familiar with the planes you're actually gonna fly later

I'd also suggest creating your own training program.

I like to start with airfield patterns. They're great for getting familiar with the plane and the cockpit, maintain airspeed/altitude and even basics of navigation (TACAN, setting course, etc).

To learn navigation the best way is to just create a mission with a simple route (waypoint navigation). Then create a new one but without setting up waypoints in the editor. You can use it to practice navigation without waypoints (using beacons, setting up your own waypoints or just dead reckoning).

To use weapon systems I'd start with A-G and use the combination of YT videos and tutorial missions. Then move to A-A - for modern jets I'd start with understanding how radar works (most if not all modern jets use mainly pulse doppler radar). Then just watch a lot of YT videos (I'd suggest Growling Sidewinder videos and

).

Then I'd move to bad weather and more complex tasks (such as AAR or carrier ops). These can be a bit frustrating so doing them at the end means you can still do other stuff in the meantime.

Also, here you can find a great set of manuals, not only about aircraft but also how to use DCS in general:

https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/Hoggit_DCS_World_Wiki#Technique_Guides_.26_Resources

Edited by PL_Harpoon