Metric or Imperial

tmansteve

There has been threads on this before but I have to ask if it is better to set all to metric as I am not sure which planes if any use the imperial measurements?

I created a mission with AI and noticed their callouts didn't register with mine. When they called out @2000, I noticed I was at 600, and I set their speed to 500, I had to be at 920 to keep up. A little confused so would like any comment to help.

Cheers

There is no right or wrong on this. Whether metric or imperial setting is better totally depends on the plane you are flying. All the US aircraft use imperial measurement, while all the russian aircraft use the metric system. The europeans are inbetween. Pretty much all modern european NATO jets use the imperial system (e.g. the Mirage 2000), while older and/or non-NATO aircraft (german WW2 birds or the Viggen) use the metric system.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

the problem is that on us planes whether you set settings on metri you'll always have hud in imperial, as well as BRA from awacs which are always in imperial.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

It's worth pointing out that aviation and naval navigation work best when utilising nautical miles and latitudes and longitude. combined with angles it's all derived from historical naval navigation methods

There's a reason that lat long refers to minutes and seconds too

This allows us to use things like the 1 in 60 rule for angles and nautical miles of offset or error.

The space between latitude lines is 60nm per degree such that one minute of lat is 1 nm

Basic distance travelled or position estimation. 360 knots is 6nm a minute

Or 6 minutes of latitude per minute

So on so forth

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Mgrs is used for ground based military coordination yes as it's the preferred system for land based activity

That fits into the decimal based system that ground forces use for navigation and grid references including mils for angular measurement.

This is why modern western aircraft have the ability to utilise mgrs in data entry for ground based coordination

They still however use knots for speed nm for distance and degrees for angle and feet for altitude as it's far more practical when traveling large distances and high speeds

Mgrs has certain limitations when you start talking about this sort of scale

Nautical units of measurement are not just used in civilian space

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Edited by jimiC

There has been threads on this before but I have to ask if it is better to set all to metric as I am not sure which planes if any use the imperial measurements?

Every single country in the world uses imperial for aviation except Russia, China, and North Korea. And Russia has mostly switched to imperial by 2018.

Every single country in the world uses imperial for aviation except Russia, China, and North Korea. And Russia has mostly switched to imperial by 2018.

However every Russian jet in DCS will be metric - because we won't see aircraft from this decade in DCS from Russia until our grandchildren are playing.

To the OP - I set to Metric if in a Metric aircraft (generally the Viggen) because then my map marks are metric.

---

AJS37 Viggen, F-16C Viper, Adobe Premier.

X56 HOTAS, Ryzen 7, GTX 2070S

youtube.com/leadnapgaming

Interesting. I haven't heard that russia switched to the imperial system last year and can't find anything about it online. Could you give me a source for this? :)

i think it would be better that we could set

imperial or metric settings for every aircraft in the special option folder ...

and one general option for the missioneditor ...

i say only L-39 :(

Please don't, as this would be very unrealistic for most aircraft, because in reality they usally only use one type of instrumentation.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

sorry for missunderstanding:

i did not mean the gauges (except the L-39) ...

i mean the normal information in radio calls and the external views ...

by default it should be the value of the airplanes installation

if i flew a SU-27 i do not want see feet and knots in the external view

ok i belive Awacs gave me km and m in their russian calls ...

and if i fly a F-15c and have metric settings for ME i will see knots and miles/feet in external views

which type of values gave Awacs or JTAC to a Viggen pilot ?

there are differencie available

hope for clearance

and yes, you are right ...

we need a special option only for planes with changeable gauges like the L-39

Edited by caponi

too much ...

Oh, alright then :)

There is indeed no way for the status bar to switch automatically between metric and imperial systems, depending on the aircraft.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Interesting. I haven't heard that russia switched to the imperial system last year and can't find anything about it online. Could you give me a source for this? :)

Russia is using Imperial for aviation. At least when you cruise through their airspace.

Please don't, as this would be very unrealistic for most aircraft, because in reality they usally only use one type of instrumentation.

Incorrect - basically any aircraft with glass cockpits can switch between imperial and metric at will, and pilots flying internationally are trained to use both. If you're an airliner flying through Chinese airspace, you'll switch your systems from imperial to metric and fly at the metric altitudes given, then switch back to imperial when you exit their airspace.

Even many gauges are marked with both standards, just like speedos in cars that show both mph and km/h. Although this is not the norm.

Edited by Jester2138

Incorrect - basically any aircraft with glass cockpits can switch between imperial and metric at will, and pilots flying internationally are trained to use both. If you're an airliner flying through Chinese airspace, you'll switch your systems from imperial to metric and fly at the metric altitudes given, then switch back to imperial when you exit their airspace.

Even many gauges are marked with both standards, just like speedos in cars that show both mph and km/h. Although this is not the norm.

That would apply to civilian airliners and maybe some modern combat aircraft, but I was referring to the aircraft we have in DCS now and will likely get in the future. Those are mostly older types of combat aircraft that have fixed instrumentation.

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

As a Metricist (?) I can appreciate the utility of the imperial system for navigation. Its hexadecimal, as is our (native) mesurement of time and circles and imperial measurement - base 12, has more factors than metic - base 10, so it makes sense. Also, our brains work with hexadecimal better for some reason, like with currency I've heard that you can learn and calculate change faster with a hexadecimal than a decimal, eg. pounds vs dollars. Makes sense to me that its easier to calculate navigation stuff in hex, like pounds of fuel per minute per mile at X knots at angels rah...

Opinions expressed here are subjective and redundant

As a Metricist (?) I can appreciate the utility of the imperial system for navigation. Its hexadecimal, as is our (native) mesurement of time and circles and imperial measurement - base 12, has more factors than metic - base 10, so it makes sense. Also, our brains work with hexadecimal better for some reason, like with currency I've heard that you can learn and calculate change faster with a hexadecimal than a decimal, eg. pounds vs dollars. Makes sense to me that its easier to calculate navigation stuff in hex, like pounds of fuel per minute per mile at X knots at angels rah...

Just a short nitpick:

You mean duodecimal (base 12) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duodecimal

not hexadecimal (base 16) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexadecimal

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022