Slack on TM HOTAS Warthog?

Another WH user here, and my joystick has the described play in the y-direction only (not sure about the axis label conventions -- I mean the pitch axis). About 5-10 h of use. Currently not sure whether to try to get a replacement or just get used to it.

It's as you have described, where there is no dead zone. When the stick is centred, I can move it between two stable positions, a few mm apart. One of these is the sensor centre, and the other is north of it.

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

I have the same exact issue on mine. It was solid when I first got it then it became a little slack in the y axis. Just like the video posted. I emailed thrust master and they said that it is normal and all their sticks in their shop exhibit the same trait. It is a real pain in the ass when trying to refuel by over correcting. I had to add a minor deadzone to the stick. Oh well, it's still an amazing stick.

This was Thrustmasters response:

That is kind of a retarded response. That's like me writing to Toyota about a braking problem and them responding "our R&D department testing brakes on many of the Priuses and found that this is normal". Like what the .....! Just because it did it on many hotases doesn't mean normal is right.

I can just see how well that would go in my industry.

Letter to Boeing:

"After the first month of receiving the 737 we noticed that the landing gear doesn't extend 100% of the time"

Response from Boeing:

"Our R&D department have tested this and noticed every aircraft that rolls of the factory line has this occurence. Therefore it must be normal. Please continue to fly our 737 and get back to us if the gear fails again"

You helped me greatly, but probably not in the way you expected: I did the mod, didn't really like it, and put the spring back in. Now, the slack is gone! It seems the earlier observation of the OP that the position of the large spring affects the phenomenon. In any case, thanks for the tip!

To other WH owners with this issue: try opening the stick up and moving the main spring around -- you never know, it helped for me.

EDIT: If not gone, improved.

Edited by Corrigan

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

• 6 years later...

Dumb question.

Is sensor slack (as opposed mechanical slack) technically even possible?

Isn't the magnet fastened to the moveable stick and it moves over the sensor fastened in the base? Meaning no matter if there is mechanical slack the sensor will always sense movement whenever the stick moves?

I have a small mechanical slack in the Y axis. It doesn't show in the Device Analyzer (I get a steady 32768 ). Estimate 1-2 mm movement at top of stick. I wonder if this translated to a smaller throw inside the base that is below the sensor detection.

I also wonder what is causing the mechanical slack. Could a worn O ring cause it?

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))