Whatever happened to DCS:Apache ?

Rudel_chw

Hello,

I've seen references to a DCS module called DCS:Apache that was supossed to be developed by ED to be released after the A-10C, for example here:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?8636-The-Fighter-Collection-To-Release-Digital-Combat-Simulator-Black-Shark

I've been on this Forum since 2013 and dont remember what happened to this helo, does anyone knows why it was cancelled?

I'm asking just out of curiosity, as the development history of DCS has always been an intriguing subject to me :)

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Here are some pictures of the cockpit that was being modeled circa 2007:

http://www.simhq.com/_commentary/all_037e.html

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Probably waiting on systems development, which is happening with F-18, F-16.

hmm.. what systems should that be?

For the AH-64A/B/C everything is on board already (unguided rockets, laser guided mavericks, stingers, FLIR, CCTV, hell they even could reuse Jester as "Jake Preston" :lol:)

And for the "D" is only the A/G Radar missing.

ED was talking about making the AH-64A in 2007, that's how I became a beta tester tester in 2007. For whatever reason, it didn't work out, there was never a playable Apache in DCS.

Thanks for the insight ... My belief is that implementing the dual cockpit was at that time a bit beyond what could be achieved within the DCS engine and thus they opted to cancel its development.

:(

I can offer an educated guess. DCS isn't the only product of Eagle Dynamics, they also have the "professional" flight sim called "The Battle Simulator". And the website for the Battle Simulator states that they are developing a AH-64 Module. So most likely the DCS Apache project got moved to a DOD project for the the Battle Simulator. That being said, there might still be a chance that we get a Apache module, since the A-10C was also a recyling product from their Air Force product.

Crowbar Inc.: "We deliver pain."

Thanks for the insight ... My belief is that implementing the dual cockpit was at that time a bit beyond what could be achieved within the DCS engine and thus they opted to cancel its development.

:(

Yeah, I think THIS is probably what's holding it back. I recall someone saying they were having some kind of "sync" problem with side by side cockpits. Though I have no idea what that means.

I can offer an educated guess. DCS isn't the only product of Eagle Dynamics, they also have the "professional" flight sim called "The Battle Simulator". And the website for the Battle Simulator states that they are developing a AH-64 Module. So most likely the DCS Apache project got moved to a DOD project for the the Battle Simulator. That being said, there might still be a chance that we get a Apache module, since the A-10C was also a recyling product from their Air Force product.

Ahh, did not know that. I'll have to look that up. Kind of like VBS and Arma.

They've said many times it's not a question of if but of when...

They'll get to it.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

• 1 month later...

I'd like to see Apache in DCS... not for me... ...for my children... in the future. :)

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Alot of the tbs information is outdated.

They still say the hornet is still in development ( I guess it still kind of is because Ea) and show very early wip photos 0f the hornet form many years ago when it was supposed to be an earlier lot from the 1990s without any post production features that we currently have. Even though they could easily update that section with current hornet images.

I really think it's just a matter of priorities .Prior to BST merge with ED there was an f4E in development but was put on hold to allocate additional manpower to help finish the hornet , and start f16c. Also consider that at the time ed capability for creating multicrew vehicles was not there.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

IIRC Wags mentioned in one of the very first Hornet videos that ED developed a greal relationship with Boeing and that this is a great foundation for future Boeing modules like the Apache.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yeah it's still coming I'm sure...

Tech level and priorities :).

Also...

""A" I'm not interested in, but D would be a nice adversary for the Ka-50."

The "A" would be a much better counterpart to the Shark than the "D".

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

In earlier Wag's videos he had an Alpha build that had F16, MI24 Afghanstan, Syria modules but no AH64:( so that means it possibly isn't in development yet .

Interesting, musta missed that video I was under the impression the mi24 was pretty far from release, same for the afg map.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Can I at least get a Huey with Vikhrs and a Shkval to hold me over for the next 6 years?

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Can I at least get a Huey with Vikhrs and a Shkval to hold me over for the next 6 years?

Only if it doesn't have unrealistic pylons for iglas :megalol:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yeah it's still coming I'm sure...

Tech level and priorities :).

Also...

""A" I'm not interested in, but D would be a nice adversary for the Ka-50."

The "A" would be a much better counterpart to the Shark than the "D".

Agreed. The RFI and Longbow on a D amongst other bits could make the AH a little OP vs KA50.

It would be interesting to see how they model the FLIR flying on one eye on AH too.

I’d rather they turn round and say no we aren’t instead of something like Sqn 42.

"It would be interesting to see how they model the FLIR flying on one eye on AH too."

Hopefully just in one eye in VR ;)