Want to Create 2 New Actions in Axis Commands Options / Controls for the Ka-50 : How?

DieHard

How, kemosabe?

Maybe should ask about this topic to the Input / Output forum to DCS Forums, but I will start here...

(Moderator: please move this post to Input/Output Forums if you so deem it necessary.)

I want to rig up either 2 rotary switches or sliders with USB connectors, kind of hard wired to have very fine control of the IT-23 TV brightness and contrast rotary(ies) for adjusting viewing conditions using the Shkval in immediate real time.

The mouse wheel works very well if I overlay the mouse cursor over each rotary dial controller, but it is a real pain and not very handy fine tuning to lighting conditions. I currently use 4 G-keys in a Logitech G510 keyboard Hi/Low for each dial rotary that gets close enough, but it does not fine tune as well as the mouse wheel does.

I use CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals in a profile using the CH Control Manager that I am very happy with but cannot figure out how to accomplish what I want to do with the limitation of no rotary dials with what I have.

I just added an older Saitek AV8R-01 joystick with the 2 throttle sliders using a powered Belkin 4-way hub as I ran out of USB ports. I want to use the throttle sliders for the rotary dials as one for brightness, the other for contrast.

How can I add these 2 functions to the Axis Commands as a new Action heading/title within Options / Controls and set the sliders?

I also found a rotary dials switch box that might work, see 2nd photo down: http://simrace.hgsitebuilder.com/button-boxes

Started browsing Input/Output forum concerning this topic, found this cool sim-pit: [ame]

[/ame]

Thanks for any help or ideas or alternate ideas.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How, kemosabe?

Maybe should ask about this topic to the Input / Output forum to DCS Forums, but I will start here...

(Moderator: please move this post to Input/Output Forums if you so deem it necessary.)

I want to rig up either 2 rotary switches or sliders with USB connectors, kind of hard wired to have very fine control of the IT-23 TV brightness and contrast rotary(ies) for adjusting viewing conditions using the Shkval in immediate real time.

The mouse wheel works very well if I overlay the mouse cursor over each rotary dial controller, but it is a real pain and not very handy fine tuning to lighting conditions. I currently use 4 G-keys in a Logitech G510 keyboard Hi/Low for each dial rotary that gets close enough, but it does not fine tune as well as the mouse wheel does.

I use CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals in a profile using the CH Control Manager that I am very happy with but cannot figure out how to accomplish what I want to do with the limitation of no rotary dials with what I have. I just added an older Saitek AV8R-01 joystick with the 2 throttle sliders using a powered Belkin 4-way hub as I ran out of USB ports. I want to use the throttle sliders for the rotary dials as one for brightness, the other for contrast.

How can I add these 2 functions to the Axis Commands as a new Action heading/title within Options / Controls and set the sliders?

I also found a rotary dials switch box that might work, see 2nd photo down: http://simrace.hgsitebuilder.com/button-boxes

Started browsing Input/Output forum concerning this topic, found this cool sim-pit:

Thanks for any help or ideas or alternate ideas.

Have you tried programming inside Helios? I personally use the BRT/CON on my cougar MFDs which works very well for me.

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

I've tryed in the past, by adding those lines to the Joystick file, in the axis section at the bottom, with no success.

{action = iCommandPlane_I251_Brightness, name = "IT-23 display brightness"},

{action = iCommandPlane_I251_Contrast, name = "IT-23 display contrast"},

(re: Message #2)

"Have you tried programming inside Helios? I personally use the BRT/CON on my cougar MFDs which works very well for me.

Reaper6"

Programming : How do I do this; what's the process? Tutorial anywhere?

Helios? I take it, this is software?

(Louisiana - New Orleans? Fond memories of some good times there. My Navy base was an hour away, took bus, walked to French Quarter, went whenever I had the weekend off and no duty section.)

Thanks

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have noticed the 2 Brightness/Contrast rotary dials have a spin motion speed to them on the console.

Any way to slow the speed down in their respective (.lua) file or whatever the file is?

If I could slow the spin rate down, my keyboard G-keys would probably be more sensitive and adequate.

Thanks

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

(re: Message #2)

"Have you tried programming inside Helios? I personally use the BRT/CON on my cougar MFDs which works very well for me.

Reaper6"

Programming : How do I do this; what's the process? Tutorial anywhere?

Helios? I take it, this is software?

(Louisiana - New Orleans? Fond memories of some good times there. My Navy base was an hour away, took bus, walked to French Quarter, went whenever I had the weekend off and no duty section.)

Thanks

Helios allows you to use other monitors for guages, switches, rotarys etc. I used the rotarys on my x52pro and programmed thru helios for brt/con. But now I have the warthog so, I use the mfd buttons. It is free software http://www.gadrocsworkshop.com/helios/latest

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

They are well worth it! Here is my setup with Helios(work in progress)...

1096030432_Cockpit-1.jpg.858851f215c555dea0248e8682c10445.jpg

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

• 2 years later...

Axis control for IT-23 TV Brightness and Contrast

I have created two axis commands for TV brightness and contrast by adding the two lines below in the "axisCommands" section of the "default.lua":

{action = 3002, cockpit_device_id = 8, name = _('IT-23 TV Brightness Axis')},
{action = 3003, cockpit_device_id = 8, name = _('IT-23 TV Contrast Axis')},

They need to be added after the line that has "axisCommands = {" and before the line with "},".

To make the sim use the full range of your slider or pot, you need to set the following parameters in Axis Tune:

- Change "Saturation Y" to 50%

- Tick "Slider"

- Tick "Invert"

Note: If you wanted to bind one of the commands to an axis on your TM Warthog Throttle (that's how tested the solution) then that command would need to be added to the file "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.lua".

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Reduced "Speed" for TV brightness and contrast key commands

I almost forgot that I had some time ago slowed down these two knobs when used with pushbutton-type switches (I use the UP/DOWN toggles on my DSD button box). This however could not be done in the "default.lua". I had to reduce the "gain" values in the file "clickabledata.lua" from 0.1 to 0.01.

This works fine for me. If you want to jump through that hoop I can post the detail of the change.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5