[REPORTED]Shadows in cockpit projected in the wrong direction

Redglyph

DCS 2.5.4.25729

The switches, knobs and other details of the cockpit have projected shadows when a light source like the sun is behind them, as if the fuselage, panels and those controls/details were semi-transparent and the sun could go through.

See two first screenshots on the Mi-8 and Huey,

- the Mi-8 (bottom right): the shadows seem to come from the two light knobs on the rear panel near the door,

- the Huey: the upper panel projects shadows of its switches on the front panel.

It reminds me of the old problem of strobe and landing lights illuminating the cockpit, again as if the fuselage were transparent, perhaps both have the same root problem in common.

My settings in the 3rd screenshot.

6.thumb.jpg.47acf99f603a48d141490c346c6ad783.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.d00491d30eb819b3bd769185f8e6822b.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.0af77a2dde43fc9afd9d03fad43ebf26.jpg

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

big image

Ouch, including a 35-MB image as a sub-sampled and dithered gif is probably not very user-friendly to those who read the forums... Next time just a link or a couple of actual screenshots would perhaps be more appropriate? ;)

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Yep, I get sunlit rudder pedals in the Viggen when I'm flying into the sun! Should be in total shade.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Im guessing it might have something to do with 'Updated Cockpit to have Shadow Casting.', from the Mirage 2000 changelog in the last OB. So maybe these just havent been updated yet?

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

• 3 weeks later...

any solution?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU i7 7700K@4.5ghz * COOLER ARCTIC Freezer 13 CO * MB MSI Z270 Gaming M3 * RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4-2400 DDR4 2400MHz * GPU Zotac GTX 1070Ti mini * SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500GB for S.O. * SSD Samsung 860 EVO 500GB for DCS * HDD 1TB WD Blue x2 * PSU Corsair CX650M * SO Windows 10 pro 64bit * TrackIR 5 * Saiteck x52 Pro

The first time I'm thinking over the idea of letting the flat :( shadows, the confusion in the cockpit is crazy that distracts attention.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

• 4 weeks later...

It seems that the problem is caused by the fact that some cockpit parts are "see through" when seen from outside. Don't know what was different before 2.5.4, maybe the material definition was handled differently. Some aircraft are worse than others, but helicopters are near unusable.

See that on the video from outside the rotor shadow is on the roof, while from the interior the shadow is right on the dashboard, like there was no roof at all.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Too add to my previous post, most of the aircraft have "optimized" cockpits which lack outside geometry, so the sun shines through and produces weird artefacts. This can easily be seen in Oculus because you can position your head outside the cockpit.

YBsZ0Ku.jpg

qGDWQmM.jpg

doWlgba.jpg

NBBIjqi.jpg

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Sadly, and as I expected, this problem doesn't seem to be reported nor shown as known issue, so that's one more report in vain. It would be so much easier with a bug tracker (although... some developers have one and it's either impossible to have problems reported in them, or we can report bugs and they are just ignored - but at least we have a visibility on what they are willing to report/fix).

• 4 weeks later...

Well, at least the F-5 cockpit has been fixed in the latest Open Beta.

But if ED is going to wait for "major cockpit overhaul" to fix the shadows issues with each plane, then it's going to take several years until they redo all of them.

• 3 weeks later...

it is very annoying. strange shadows cast on the cockpit panels

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

• 2 weeks later...

yep... this should be fixed... been like this for months... cockpit shadows have holes in them... no good.... also should allow modification of shadows.lua to pass ic with res set to 8192 and 16384..

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

• 2 months later...

Looks like it's been fixed in the latest Open Beta. Any you can see the shadow of pilot's head moving around. Cool.

I just hope this is not the thing that broke VR optimizations, lol :D

• 4 weeks later...

Aaaaand it's broken again in today's open beta.

ED, come on!

Yes, same in Hornet, also water on the deck-level shimmers badly and there are artifacts around objects against the water, on low / mid / high water settings, and it looks to me that it is related to the shadow bug.

We need those fixed shadows back!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...