Four-ship SEAD strike, but only three planes launch their AGMs?

pbpullman

I'm trying to get a 4 ship flight of F-16s to attack a group of 12 SA-15s using AGM-88s. When they get to the designated waypoint, I use a WP enroute task, Search and engage group. What happens is that because each airplane is loaded with 4 88s each, once the first three launch a total of 12 missiles, the AI thinks the task is done. Inevitably though, not every missile hits its target all the time. How can I force the 4th F-16 to launch its payload? Moreover, is there a command that will direct a group or unit to expend all of its ordinance?

I'm trying to get a 4 ship flight of F-16s to attack a group of 12 SA-15s using AGM-88s. When they get to the designated waypoint, I use a WP enroute task, Search and engage group. What happens is that because each airplane is loaded with 4 88s each, once the first three launch a total of 12 missiles, the AI thinks the task is done. Inevitably though, not every missile hits its target all the time. How can I force the 4th F-16 to launch its payload? Moreover, is there a command that will direct a group or unit to expend all of its ordinance?

I guess the question is what is the behavior of the units after they have passed the enemy? Do they just go and land? do they eventually circle back? To my knowledge, there is no option to force the AI to expend all of its stores but in my past experiences, the SEAD flights will fly off a little ways and then come back until the threats have been neutralized. Sometimes this can be a bit lengthy in time though.

DCS: A10C Warthog JTAC coordinate entry training mission http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/99424/

DCS: Blackshark 2 interactive training missions http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=84612

SEAD aircraft have quite a few quirks to em. Most of it depends on how many aircraft are in the group, how many threats there are, and how the threats are organized by group. Currently the AI tend to break threats down by aircraft, and since the first aircraft have all the missiles they theoretically need, only those are assigned to take out the SA-15s. You could try breaking the AI SEAD flight into waves of smaller flights. For example have a pair of F-16s engage first followed a few minutes later by another pair of F-16s.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

@BigfootMSR: Yep, the F-16s continue on with their flight plan, and don't return to the target area.

@Grimes: Breaking the 4 ship into 2x 2-ship flights is an excellent idea and I did consider it...will try that tonight. I wondered if there was any difference between the search and engage task and the "Attack Group" task, or if there was a difference in assigning the commands via the waypoint advanced actions panels or as triggered actions, but I'm doubting it. I suppose I could also assign each aircraft specific targets, though that would be a cumbersome task to do.

I wouldn't micromanage the tasking that much. Simply search and engage in zone, or group, or even the basic SEAD role with a flight plan over the SAMS should be fine for setting up the AI. You could put additional WPs with a similar task available to it so if the AI decide to continue with their flight plan the next WP they come across will order them to engage the group again.

The difference between attack group and search and engage is pretty straight forward. With attack group or unit the AI know EXACTLY where the target is at. Search and engage requires the AI to detect the target. With SAM sites its pretty easy for AI to find the target once the AI gets with the radar range.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum