Is DCS VR getting Better?

FragBum

Okay over the last few updates I have been noticing improvements with both Rift image quality and DCS performance and with this latest update DCS 2.5.3.24984 more so.

Whilst not 45FPS to 90FPS kinda improvements initially over the last few updates I've noticed smoother game play and improved VR image and seemingly slightly lower GPU and CPU usage for a given free flight mission using Taskmanager.

In an effort to keep as smooth as possible gameplay and reduce the occurrence of stutter and frame drops I previously tweaked settings so that I rarely hit 100% CPU or GPU and average 60 to 70% in NTTR map the actual usage ramps up and down through normal gameplay however having some headroom means less issues. The maps are important as different maps have different CPU/GPU requirements.

Now TBH I haven't changed anything this side as far as settings go until last night where I increased AF to 4 because I can now and still have CPU/GPU headroom.

I have mentioned this observation a few times however seems no one else has noticed anything as well apart from a small mention in DCS official news there has been no indication in the OB update thread either, yet my PC/DCS/Rift experience has improved.

Whilst I had a quick fly after downloading 2.5.3.24984 update yesterday it was last night when I was sitting in the Mi-8 the switch labels and the interior just popped I don't recall any of the models looking this good since ver 2.3.x

Or there may have been a Windows or Oculus update that I missed but I don't remember any in the last month or so.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Okay over the last few updates I have been noticing improvements with both Rift image quality and DCS performance and with this latest update DCS 2.5.3.24984 more so.

Whilst not 45FPS to 90FPS kinda improvements initially over the last few updates I've noticed smoother game play and improved VR image and seemingly slightly lower GPU and CPU usage for a given free flight mission using Taskmanager.

In an effort to keep as smooth as possible gameplay and reduce the occurrence of stutter and frame drops I previously tweaked settings so that I rarely hit 100% CPU or GPU and average 60 to 70% in NTTR map the actual usage ramps up and down through normal gameplay however having some headroom means less issues. The maps are important as different maps have different CPU/GPU requirements.

Now TBH I haven't changed anything this side as far as settings go until last night where I increased AF to 4 because I can now and still have CPU/GPU headroom.

I have mentioned this observation a few times however seems no one else has noticed anything as well apart from a small mention in DCS official news there has been no indication in the OB update thread either, yet my PC/DCS/Rift experience has improved.

Whilst I had a quick fly after downloading 2.5.3.24984 update yesterday it was last night when I was sitting in the Mi-8 the switch labels and the interior just popped I don't recall any of the models looking this good since ver 2.3.x

Or there may have been a Windows or Oculus update that I missed but I don't remember any in the last month or so.

for me is always a bad experience...no improvements in the last months despite having the most expensive hardware possible.

I am not using VR in DCS and probably won’t again until the advertised improvements will bring 45fps in every situation with reasonable settings...

in the meantime i am using dcs jn 2d and enjoying in Vr another sim (ww2 one easy to understand which is) that with the last 2 patches improved a lot its framerates and i can have it mostly at 90fps with high settings.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Yea I had/have the same impression, that there is some gain. I had been flying around in single player in a given mission, in various modules, and was able to enable shadows (low, and terrain flat), and still maintain +45 fps. That I wasnt able to do before.

But then last night, I hosted this same mission for 2 other clients, and I far too often saw 30 fps. Thats not saying there is or isnt any improvements, just that it shows me once again, that Im quite CPU bottlenecked, cause as soon as it has to chew a bit extra, then my GPU isnt getting fed enough.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I was thinking the same thing last night....frames are better. I thought I must have turned mesa off. Checked my settings and it was enabled. So, it feels to me something has improved recently.

Check out my 'real world'

video series

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not much improvement that I've noticed. Really wish they would improve the visual quality of the trees in normandy and do away with the luminous green vomit color. Looks awful close to the ground and all they would have to do for a vast improvement is make them darker.

I just flew a spitfire mission and shot down 3 enemy planes and landed perfectly. Felt wonderful, I even enjoy it more than the other sim nowdays, and performance is as good or about the same (although horrible stutters first time a pilot ejects).

I know my limitations with DCS, I keep my settings low, PD is down to 1.0 and MSSA on 2.0 I think, which makes it a vastly better experience. I also dont fly crazy missions, chok full of assets, of the kind a 2D user can. I also use the shader mod.

I think the main thing is that it now looks better with lower graphics settings, although maybe I just am imagining it and now have lower standards.

The main test of performance is how the game peforms in a dogfight and I have to say its pretty damned smooth even without motion smoothing on, which overall because of artifacts has proven to be a bit dissapointing.

Actually I should just turn MSSA off as it looks fine up in the air, but down low is pretty unbearable especially on a map such as normandy. Gah those trees!

Got the feeling the devs having announced VR improvements are confident enough that there is something worth getting our hopes up about!

But seriously fix normandy trees!

Edited by Wolf8312

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

something has changed for sure in the last few weeks,

it's a lot easier to maintain visual contact with aerial targets.

I can't quantify it, but it's just there

I'll try and re-run my benchmark track and compare.

Edited by uri_ba

honestly? no idea.

I flew three missions tonight. First one on Caucasus, butter smooth, great, crisp graphics. 45 fps steady.

Then Nevada and Persian Gulf, 30-35 fps, double vision.

GTX 1080 is being delivered as I speak, but anyways I don´t understand such a difference.

I know it´s different maps, but I have flown missions on all of them with decent (45) fps for my system.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

@Tundra odd I find in order of GPU/CPU usage NTTR is the most efficient map. Is that 1080 an upgrade? :thumbup:

Now I did a bit more investigating and seems I got an Oculus update around the 8th of Nov. interestingly that's about when i started getting random BSODs and DCS crashing. Which I haven't had in the last week or so. Now wondering if it's windows/Oculus function.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

@Tundra odd I find in order of GPU/CPU usage NTTR is the most efficient map. Is that 1080 an upgrade? :thumbup:

Now I did a bit more investigating and seems I got an Oculus update around the 8th of Nov. interestingly that's about when i started getting random BSODs and DCS crashing. Which I haven't had in the last week or so. Now wondering if it's windows/Oculus function.

yeah, I have been flying with a 1060 3Gb for a year, and this days I bought a second hand GTX 1080, which will be deliver by next Monday.

Looking forward to flying with shadows ON hahahaha

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

yeah, I have been flying with a 1060 3Gb for a year, and this days I bought a second hand GTX 1080, which will be deliver by next Monday.

Looking forward to flying with shadows ON hahahaha

Oh nice enjoy. :thumbup:

Oh nice enjoy. :thumbup:

i have a 1080ti and a i9 9900k and i cannot fly with shadows low...but i can put my lenovo explorer in 60hz mode and be on 30fps most of the time with higher settings

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I have no experience with lenovo explorer but I see the res is somewhere around the VivePro so will take a bit more CPU/GPU power to drive it although looking at your PC specs I'm surprised you can't get better out of it by dropping some settings back.

You are right about shadows for both performance and visual appearance I can only use flat/terrain shadows with Rift but depending on map and complexity can mostly maintain 45FPS.

The different maps have their own performance requirements.

NTTR fastest rare to have drop frames.

Caucasus second occasional drop frames occasional drops below 45FPS.

PG third more frequent drop frames and drops below 45FPS.

Normandy a tad more frequent drop frames and drops below 45FPS.

Here is my current settings although I have been testing with AF at 8*, I also only run PD @1.1

ED are also working on the VR side of DCS as well so hopefully that will provide a performance boost as well. :thumbup:

@ FragBum

What type of Hardware do you have?

I have added spec to signature cheers.

The updates I am looking for are increased peripheral FOV and clarity.

Both of these can only be achieved with the next generation of VR headsets.

PIMAX is due out in 2019. So is the 3000 series video cards to drive it.

Added:

I currently have most of my VR on high, 1.5 IPD, and get a solid 45 fps no matter what I try. Looking straight upwards into a clear sky gives 90 fps, which is not helpful.

No matter what I try, I still get a solid 45 fps.

i5 16GIG 1080Ti SSD HTC Vive

Edited by captflyby

The updates I am looking for are increased peripheral FOV and clarity.

Both of these can only be achieved with the next generation of VR headsets.

PIMAX is due out in 2019. So is the 3000 series video cards to drive it.

I'm guessing we're all waiting for that although that isn't the discussion here. The point is DCS Rift image is still not as clear as other Rift apps, however seems more likely seems.the previous Oculus update DCS image has gotten better under Rift.

I'd suspect unless DCS code gets some much needed optimazions a "3081etc" isn't going to help doubly so with near twice or more pixels as we are still largely CPU bound. Although Vulcan may help by allowing more multi-threaded operation.

In the mean time I'll just try and get the best outcome for the hardware I actually have. :D

@ FragBum

I have als othe feeling, the Rift is worse. Even in other games i always felt, that the normal vive (not the pro) has just a more sharp image - even though I can see the single pixels a bit more, when I am looking at a still image.

The thing is, why I have bought a rift recently (250€ in a sale shortly before black friday) is the price. I hoped I can wait for the next generation of VR headsets, but I just needed it for DCS and Assetto Corsa, so this is the best I could get for a small buck till the next generation comes out incl. 10th gen Intels and 3000 GTXs/RTxs :)

I have found now a quite good solution to my settings problem. I run mostly Medium settings (Shadow flat, terrain textures low) without MSAA/SMAA.

AF is 16x and Pixel density is 1.3.

The resolution ingame is 1680x1050 --> How does the resolution affect the game in Vr anyways? When I crank it up to 2560x1600 like my normal display or go lower like 1440x900 it does not really affect the details itself, but the performance gets better or a lot worse on the high resolution. On the other side, if I go on PD 1.5 (No matter what resolution) my FPS just go down and the rift stutters while viewing around.

I tried 1440x900 or even lower with PD 1.4, but the performance gets a lot worse (But you still see a slight improvement in the sharpness of the game - but the edges aren't smooth)

What a horrible game to setup haha :)

1000 flights, 1000 crashes - perfect record

Today:

Definitely....It seems it get better...

What it is? don't know. Fly on singleplayer and multiplayer. Yep better then before!

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

I have not seen any improvements to VR yet.

I am running the Open Beta.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have not seen any improvements to VR yet.

I am running the Open Beta.

Same with dburne, nada. But no worries, I know it's in the works. :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

At my side it was installing the new nvidia drivers yesterday and i had yesterday a new windows update.

Strange.. after that i had a stutterfree 45 FPS play...

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly: