Huey and landing! Where are those experts pilot with quick landing :)

Frag

Nope, we don’t do this IRL. Couple of big problems with it:

1. Loss of tail rotor effectiveness. If you turn right and decel moving left, you are in danger of tail rotor VRS. If you do it the other way, the aircraft will want to weathercock and you will run out of left pedal.

2. Door gunners. If you are doing a tactical insert like that, your door gunners can’t shoot anything to defend your aircraft if the LZ is cherry.

3. Skids straight. If you lose an engine (or the engine in game, since I fly a twin), you will hit the ground sideways and flip in a spinning mass of death

4. Sidewards flight limitation. My aircraft (CH146 Griffon) has a limit of 35kts sidewards flight, related to point 1 above. Don’t know about the Huey.

5. There’s no need, we can get her slowed down in a Tac decel straight ahead just fine :)

I couldn’t have said it better myself.

Also I think a lot of people are missing the whole multiship aspect. If you do a crazy maneuver like this you might have another aircraft up your ass.

Also the chapter 5 limitation for sidewards flight is the Huey is 30 knots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are you ready to take your chopper flying skills to the next level?

Then check out http://www.blacksharkden.com/ Or visit us on Discord https://discord.gg/kaayJ5z and talk to some of our awesome pilots today.

its much the same as broadsiding a car, ripping a board/surf/skate, and flicking on mtb, the sideways movement works to scrub of speed quickly acting like a brake.

imagine a piece of card held sideways on edge, swing that round in your hand, then turn it face on, you can feel the friction effect

Nailed it, friction. It's got skids right. :P

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

There's a nice 270 Huey landing, at the end of this vid. by Penshoon..

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

HOLY HELL!!! As I said in the youtube comments, I wish its passengers were having puke bags. CRAZY flying!

Indeed the landing at the end is quite impressive and prove that skilled sim pilots can land that thing quickly!

I can land everywhere I want now, but not even close of landing quickly. I need take my time to land it right. But the more I fly ... the more I start to feel the Huey. Now I am at the point where I don't get in VRS no more. Actually I don't know what I am doing differently, but it is quite difficult for me to fall in VRS state now ...go figure.

I have to say that the Huey is for me the most satisfying aircraft to fly in this game. Your skills are building REALLY slowly and you get better and better everyday. The fact that this thing is very difficult to fly well makes it VERY satisfying when you get hang of it.

Also it seems that it was also the same thing for the Vietnam pilots! I recently saw a documentary with a really old man who had the congressional medal of honor as a Huey Pilot (can't remember his name for god sake). He was saying that as a young pilot, flying the Huey was VERY difficult and that he almost crashed it TWICE in Vietnam by simply having to land when under stress. He said that he finally realize while piloting the huey in a war zone that he was not as good as he thought he was. LOT of experience came later during the war.

People not flying the Huey in DCS are are really missing something! Quite an experience... I gave a demo to a friend of mine who only play DCS with the F18 mostly. He was saying that he was "not in old relic chopper" until he tried to simply take-off and land from point A to B within 2 km distance. Obviously he was not able to ...but he got mad and had to retry like 20 times to be able to (with me beside him giving him hints). He finally said ... "wow it is actually quite fun to tame that thing" and that he will buy the module LOL

Edited by Frag

@ Frag.

That training mission, designed to hone NOE handling skills, is very difficult to achieve, but Pensoon has made it a work of art. He also has a Ka-50 version and a 2.5 version.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

@ Fragbum

RL Huey has a demonstrated skid landing speed of 60kt. so you're not far off with that one.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Oversped his rotor though...

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

he didn't set off the overspeed light.

no warning light, no foul :)

What if it doesn't latch on? hmmm? :D

It's been a while but this is about as fast as I can drop my Huey.

No Gazelles where harmed in the making of this video. :P

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

he didn't set off the overspeed light.

no warning light, no foul :)

Yes he did, at 7:00 ;)

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2