Mod needed for disabled pilot

BlacleyCole

I suffer from diabetes and neurotrophic numbness in my legs, feet. And hands. So using the rudder pedals are. Difficult. If a foot slips off I have a extremely hard time getting it back on especially while wearing the vr hmd. Can someone come up with a huey mod that will apply the correct torque pedal for coordinated flight.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

I'd try the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas. You can choose to either control the rudder with that seesaw-like thing on the throttle - or you can choose to twist the stick as a rudder Control.

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR

Yeah I could use the hat on my cyclic but I would prefer a software method

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Only problem with a software fix is that it would take away a large part of helicopter flight control benefits...the ability to fly sideways, for example.

Of course, only you know what parameters you'd need, which are indispensable, etc. Hope someone out there can take up your wishes....

Fwiw, I have a TM T-Flight HOTAS X, and can vouch for its twist-grip and paddle-axis on the throttle. Only issue I had was the cable connecting the two parts was too short when using right-side stick and left-side throttle (with a seat in-between). Relatively easy fix found on YouTube, use two lengths of Cat-5 internet cable (which have 8 wires inside each) and splice in the length needed.

Ie tried twist grips but my puma doesn’t have one actually side ways is the cyclic the torque pedal would rotate the helo around the rotors shaft.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

I. Using a pro flight trainer puma atm and will not be tearing a 1k plus system apart it would be cheaper just to use the hat on the b4 grip or a pair of buttons on the collective. I’m not at the totally disable status yet just at the extreme difficult to use my Legs ad Spence what they are doing without concentrating on the controls display but as is the sim is difficult for those that have lost the use of one or both lower extremities. I would think someone would want to help those users out. In a fixed wing the pedals are needs but not as much as in a rotary wing with the exception of maybe the harrier.

I know member of the military who have problems would love to loose themselves in this sim if they are able.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

As a fellow disabled pilot I think DCS and all video games have given our demographic huge resources. If keeping your Puma is a requirement there is also two keyboards keys that control rudder, the longer you press the more rudder they add, may be possible to bind them to collective buttons. I don’t know if your collective is also something your not willing to replace, but if so lots of throttle have additional rudder axis, the hardest part is maybe finding one with two throttle that can control pitch and rpm. I would definitely try binding the keyboard commands for rudder to a hat on your cyclic and see if that works for you. If not I know you don’t want to replace your puma with something that has but you might have to if that would work best . Lots of people here willing to buy decent used equipment in good condition.

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

So your problem is mostly keeping your feet on the pedal? For that I would suggest modifying your pedal pegs to full footed pads that have a spill lip of sorts.

IF your interested in that sort of thing I'd be happy to help. I'm pretty handy.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

That’s only part of it I’m trying to workout a pedal slippage Conter fix I’m almost to the point of buying a huey collective and the tm pedals but that around $1500 with shipping in addition to the. Pieces I’ve alres bought

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

I would say get a pair of cheap shoes or flip flops and screw them down to the foot rests on your existing rig.

GENIUS! I was wondering how to secure my feet comfortably “toes out” because my CH Pro pedals are too close together and straight up and down...I’d thought about making a triangular foot pad but was stumped by what to use for comfort and anti-slippage.

Flip-flops or even “beach shoes” contact cemented to the footpads...err, feetpoods...would work perfectly!

I notice most replies (including my own) are focused on hardware work-arounds...

I know nothing about software mods, but perhaps you can describe what you’d like to have the mod do?

You mentioned earlier about using it for “coordinated turns” and I compared that to the helo’s ability to fly sideways. My flight time in the KA50 is under 5 hours, but I know helos can do both. How would you let the computer know which one you need at that time?

I have exactly what you need, but I don`t have Huey, so I don`t know will it work or not.

My software uses PID-controller for nulling the craft slide. I`ve tested it on planes only.

For setting up, you need to put manually path for saved games\dcs folder

and DCS world 2 folder

Click to low bars.

After - on middle tab assign your pedal axis.

XQkjZef5NwE.jpg cra_UXFopkw.jpg

Software has some logic for correct work, when your hardware physical pedal ~0 (middle) then software trying to zero ingame slide, when your hardware physical pedal not centered then you have ingame pedal control from hardware pedals.

It`s some kind of flybywire system but for pedal only.

First tab has three coefficient (component)for PID-controller, read about, there are some math need to understand to tune it.

Kp - proportional

Ki - integral - I`m not reccomend it to high, as I remember my software doesnt include integral windup safety. less then 0.1 - 0.2 I guess

Kd - derivative

Start from Kp, slowly increase it.

Of course this software can make your helicopter wagging, but tuning pid-controller can solve it.

Important - software uses export.lua for work, so no garantees it work in multiplayer. server have to enable export.lua for clients.

General info about PID-controller https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller

Methods for tuning - https://www.electronicshub.org/pid-controller-working-and-tuning-methods/

Hope it works, and help you.

Edited by BR=55=Sevas

Br55 thank you so much I’ll load it up later and provide feedback thanks again anf if it works I owe you

Our do I save the mod? I understand tat I need to link the dcs saved games folder and the dcs root folder o the pidpanel and the other panel is for tuning the controller. The one shown in Russian. Can I place the files in your mod almost anywhere like a folder next to the dcs root folder or next to the saved games folder.

Or could I used under ovgme like a skin or static mod?

Edited by BlacleyCole

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

You can put my program anywhere, this is simple exe file. unpack it somewhere and run as administrator, program uses TCP-socket, so windows could ask you give rights to program.

All stuff with pathes, coefficients and axis inside this program.

All settings saves to windows register, there are no need to manualy edit or put some other file.

First of all check if software recognized your pedal device, it should be ok. click to wrench symbol and move pedal axis, the same as DCS do.

If everything is correct then trackbar will animate your pedal position.

Also I`m affraid there are some risk of difference between ours OS, I use russian localization, so fraction part for the coefficient we assign as 0,1, in your case you need to use 0.1.

Trial error path is best and only one way to tune it.

I have Mi-8, so I will test does it kill slide for helicopter.probably for heli need to use another function fot slide exctration from the DCS

Important - DCS pedal axis need to be cleared ingame!

Edited by BR=55=Sevas

If it works fr the mi-8 I’m sure it will work for the others. I did feel up to testing it last night but hope to install and test with vkb gladiator tonight if all goes well.

Note: I nstalled it tonight and tested it out. I’m not sure if I have things setup right. I couldn’t see It working like I expected I did both directories and told it what the rudder was. I wasn’t sure what else to do the huey was rotating around the drive shaft to the blades not maintaining the heading as expected

I’m not re hat setting you are using to make inputs from imo the ball guage where the ball slips in one direction and a pilot would use the pedal to center it . I think reading this gauge would be my first source to read and counter the reading on it until the ball is centered. I’m sorry I do not know the official name for the guage

Edited by BlacleyCole

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Run program and check Saved Games\DCS\Scripts\ folder. there are should be file as export.lua

If you don`t have popup message with some errors then everything was setup correct.

Also try to use integer values for coefficients to make sure software recognize it and works.

Put Kp=1 only, Ki = 0 and Kd =0;

I think in hover mode its normal that software rotates the heli, in this mode slide ball always away from center, so rudder trying to catch it.

Try it in horizontal straight flight.

I did get an error initially about the export.lua file after that I assume it corrected it since I didn’t get it again how do I rebuild the file?

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

I have very good news about testing my AutoRudder.

I have tested it with Mi-8, and everything works correct, you can easy fly straight line almost without slide and not using your physical pedals.

But as I wrote before I dont have Huey, thats mean I not sure it works, there are could be difference between Huey and Mi-8.

I need to know animation argument number of ADI ball.

Mi-8 has #15

BlacleyCole if you can check Huey cockpit 3d model in ModelViewer and tell me argument number then I build Autorudder for your Huey.

Edited by BR=55=Sevas

I need to know animation argument number of ADI ball.

I opened Cockpit_UH-1H.EDM in Model Viewer and passed the mouse over the ADI. There is info only for the ADI knobs. I'm not very with Model Viewer. If you provide instructions, I can re-try.

attachment.php?attachmentid=192982&stc=1&d=1535654755

2018-08-30_20-42-35.png.374a0ec5c4a8e67f307d441e2c6e889a.png

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync