[REPORTED] RWS radar stabilization and tracking loss

KungFu

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Footage of the APG-63 (same radar family as 65/73) shows lock-ons averaging about 2 seconds from initiation to lock-on.

Look around the 6 minute mark here:

Yes, that is not realistic. ED must think that the antenna must be stable (or oriented upright from the earth) in order to detect and track targets.. This is not the case. In the same sense, the target does not need to be in level flight for the radar to detect it. As long as the target is in the cone of the antenna, it can continue to track it, regardless if the antenna cannot roll anymore. The antenna only rolls in the first place to keep the guard antenna towards the ground (sidelobe reduction). Once a target is being tracked, sidelobes dont really matter because the radar will use range gate tracking (ignoring returns not immediately around the range of the target) and thus not be affected by close range returns from the ground.

The extreme antenna roll would only have a minor effect in search modes in at low altitude (strong ground return) where range gating isnt being used (because your searching all ranges). Even then it wouldn't necessarily prevent you from detecting targets, it would just lower your detection range/probability (due to worse than normal signal to noise ratio).

If they applied this same logic to the Flanker (which has its guard antenna fixed to the bottom frame of the aircraft, meaning it doesn't rotate to keep facing the ground) it wouldn't be able to use its radar at all if the plane wasn't in perfect level flight.

I imagine that has to do with similar coding to the rotation issue mentioned above.

Ed seems to have set the lock-on mechanic to the area on the display rather than the range/cell (ie position in space). When you turn, the radar should continue to look for the target at that position in space, not at that column on the display. Meaning if you turn right when trying to lock a target, the radar beam should look like its moving left. (its using the true bearing from your aircraft to find the target, not the aircraft relative bearing.

Im also not sure if ED realizes that the radar is also only trying to lock a target at within the range cell of the brick, meaning it should be impossible to lock a target on the same bearing that is at a different range. It'll also used the doppler information attached to the brick to sort even further when trying to lock it.

Same as my first statement.

Not implemented yet.

Something else that no one has brought up before. The radar bricks move properly in azimuth when you turn, but they dont move in range as you fly closer to them. I'm not sure if this is accurate or not.

But what this means is that if your closing in behind someone who is flying away, the bricks will actually look like they'll flying toward you as the newest bricks will be closer. This can confuse the pilot as to the direction the contact is flying via bricks alone. If the bricks were locked to a position in space (that was my initial assumption) they would appear to slowly move toward you as you flew toward that position in space until they aged out.

What I do know is that bricks are a static representation of raw hits at a precise time in space. The question is, is it static to a position on the earth (like a LAT/LONG) or static to the display.

We know its not static to the display in azimuth (bricks "move" side to side when you turn. real footage shows this to be true). So if the brick moves relative to your aspect, shouldn't it also move relative to your position.

I can't believe after everything you've written this has been marked [NOT A BUG] - surely this isn't how they're intending for it to work?!

Is this the same thing as the thread that they said isn't a bug for radar stabilization? Haven't seen any confirmation from officials about this issue.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

No, it's quite different. It's a complete freeze of the track after lock as if it was locked in time and space, but moving away from you (range does not decrease on hud or scope)

I might have to make a nice video on this if it's not acknowledged soon.

Is this the same thing as the thread that they said isn't a bug for radar stabilization? Haven't seen any confirmation from officials about this issue.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

No, it's quite different. It's a complete freeze of the track after lock as if it was locked in time and space, but moving away from you (range does not decrease on hud or scope)

I might have to make a nice video on this if it's not acknowledged soon.

Yea apparently that other thread was about holding lock while moving and after the update now you can lose lock much more quickly when moving like when it was first released.

I see the same issue you describe with the f18 aim 7's and aim 9. Hopefully they can confirm because there was a hotfix today but none of this stuff was in the patch notes.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Confirmed, and not fixed in the Update 7 hotfix. I have this problem every time I try to use AIM-7.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Guys, this seems to be mission related, I created a new test mission and it works fine there however it does not on the missions i have that worked before the update and loading them up and saving them doesn't seem to fix it.

So not sure what the deal is, something the new version no like in the mission I guess.

Win 11 Professional, I7-12700K, 32GB DDR5, 3090, 2x 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe , 2x VKB Gunfighter mk III, MCG Ultimate, SCG, Orion 2 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Pimax Crystal 

Guys, this seems to be mission related, I created a new test mission and it works fine there however it does not on the missions i have that worked before the update and loading them up and saving them doesn't seem to fix it.

So not sure what the deal is, something the new version no like in the mission I guess.

Confirm...i just tryed and is like that for me too..now i have like 20 mission made with MOOSE to throw away

:cry::cry::cry:

Did some more testing earlier.

Radar was fine in a "simple" mission that I put together myself.

Ran an Inferno mission, and the radar for the Aim7 is "locked up". Fine with the Sidewinder.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I did some more test.

If i put in a mission JUST A COUPLE of targets all runs fine. If I put several targets, then we have the wierd beheavour.

Hmm, you might be on to something, the mission I made only had one bandit in it, Inferno and the Persian Gulf training mission I downloaded from user files don't work and they have tankers and awacs by default so there are many planes in the air.

But, if it were just target count then I think we'd have more complaints from multiplayer...maybe it just number of AI planes.

I haven't done any multiplayer lately, might just jump on the 104th and see what happens. Also add a few bandits to my test mission.

Win 11 Professional, I7-12700K, 32GB DDR5, 3090, 2x 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe , 2x VKB Gunfighter mk III, MCG Ultimate, SCG, Orion 2 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Pimax Crystal 

Up in the thread i put also atemplate i use to set up my scenarios. It use MOOSE framework scripts. In this mission there are several units and there i have the wierd radar beheavour.

I hope is not connected with the use of lua scripts.

Multiplayer has been mostly ok for me.

The worst one is the F15 1v1 BVR that I adapted to the F18 (just changed playable aircraft from F15 to Hornet). It happens every time on that mission.

Maybe it’s something to do with spawning scripts? That’s the mission where you can use the F10 menu to spawn various enemy aircraft for 1v1. They all spawn in the same place, just only when you select them from F10. Just spitballing though...

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Multiplayer has been mostly ok for me.

The worst one is the F15 1v1 BVR that I adapted to the F18 (just changed playable aircraft from F15 to Hornet). It happens every time on that mission.

Maybe it’s something to do with spawning scripts? That’s the mission where you can use the F10 menu to spawn various enemy aircraft for 1v1. They all spawn in the same place, just only when you select them from F10. Just spitballing though...

Wich scripts are used to compile this mission? MYST?

Maybe it’s something to do with spawning scripts?

If it always happens with scripts that spawn aircraft, and the point in space is fixed, is it locking as yet unspawned aircraft (which are by definition stationary)?

Off Topic, but WRT the slow HUD refresh rate questioned earlier - that's as intended

Cheers.

Wich scripts are used to compile this mission? MYST?

Not sure, it’s the stock ED quick action that comes with the F15, I just changed the playable aircraft.

That being said, just played multiplayer for awhile and it happened a lot, so disregard my previous assessment...

If it always happens with scripts that spawn aircraft, and the point in space is fixed, is it locking as yet unspawned aircraft (which are by definition stationary)?

Off Topic, but WRT the slow HUD refresh rate questioned earlier - that's as intended

No, the HUD freezes and doesn't care if you're moving or not, it just stays the same way the moment you lock a target, it just freeze.

The locked target stays in the same spot relative to the HUD despite changing attitude or heading.

No, the HUD freezes and doesn't care if you're moving or not, it just stays the same way the moment you lock a target, it just freeze.

The locked target stays in the same spot relative to the HUD despite changing attitude or heading.

I had this weird bug yesterday for the first time in my little training mission, no scripts or trigger - just some AI units waiting to get shot down and get bombed. I locked my first AI airplane and it froze. Attached is a video showing the issue and a track file wich thankfully is also showing the bug if i replay it. I started the video recording as soon as i realized that i see the bug after locking the enemy airplane. this mission was opened and saved after the latest Open Beta patch.

Video should be 1440p soon.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings