Dear ED! No love for KA-50?

Devrim

Ok.

Isn't it the time to re-new the cockpit textures of Ka-50?

We fly with Ricardo's awesome cockpits for years but, even they are based on an old texturing technology. Because of the absence of specular map texture lighting is imbalanced and button lights are weak.

Maybe we can say those for A-10C, too.

Especially with Deffered Shading feature, cockpit looks bad, and this wipes the magic of this beautiful sim.

So; Is there any plan to do something about this issue?

Thanks a lot.

EDIT: An official reply from SiThSpAwN in page #6

Ka-50 is scheduled to have the cockpit updated for the new graphics engine.

Edited by Devrim
  • Like 2

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree.

Ka-50 deserves some love with cockpit textures. Everything started with the Black Shark. Now is outdated.

• Like 1

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Totally agree.

Ka-50 deserves some love with cockpit textures. Everything started with the Black Shark. Now is outdated.

So much has changed with DCS since BS but I suspect ED may give it an overhaul one day even though I also suspect it's sales are not great which means less priority. That's business folks. I am waiting for the Mig 29 to have PFM, that is what I am mostly waiting for. In short, we all want improvements ! Patience is a virtue until you become too old to wait :-)

Mizzy

Yes. KA-50 makes DCS look like 1.2 in a 2.5.

Refreshment is required, but when, that is the question not to be answered.

Maybe when they get the fragmentation modeled, so we can finally get the KA-50 features implemented like the A/A mode so the Vikhr fragmentation sleeve is used with proximity fuze against air targets, and we can actually use the Vikhr capability to engage as well Head-On targets where Vikhr fuze trigger is predicting so it doesn't fly past the fast target.

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Are you willing to pay for these updates? Bear in mind that this is an old module yielding no revenue to speak of anymore.

Yes I would pay for some updates. If BS would be updated, to be on par with the other, more modern modules, a small fee would be acceptable, IMHO. I really don`t understand, why everybody wants everything for free these days? :huh:

Ryzen 5800XD - 32GB RAM - Sapphire RX 7900 XTX - VKB Stuff + MFG Crosswind Pedals

Homebase: Southwest Germany 🇩🇪

I think I don't agree on "Ka-50 is an old module". Yes, it's old but very robust module in terms of its system, weapon technology, flight model, external model etc. etc.

It has still different place in other helicopter (in this sim) and it can't be compared to other modules. So, in my honest opinion, this module still deserves high priority and care.

Forget about all things, come on! Look at the textures of default cockpit. Definitely it doesn't fit ED's reputation.

Please, ED! :)

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Regardless of your opinions, it's an old module producing no revenue anymore. And that means ED probably won't do anything, unless you pay them extra. Are you willing to do that?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Regardless of your opinions, it's an old module producing no revenue anymore. And that means ED probably won't do anything, unless you pay them extra. Are you willing to do that?

old module, as you say, but now is full priced, so this mean who buy it now want an updated module.

And how much sales do you think such an old module generates anymore, say on a yearly basis?

No. I'm pretty certain ED won't develop it further - at least substantially - unless users are willing to pay for the upgrades. Tough, but it is what it is.

This is not the question. To pay or not for an upgrade. The question is keeping DCS modules all under the same standard of quality. We are not asking for more systems modelled, more versions, night sensors or new features.

The Ka-50 is done regarding Flight Model, 3D external model and systems.

What im asking is. We have now a new terrain engine with new light system and new modules with cockpit interiors up to date. The Ka-50 cockpit model, textures and lights are sub standard, heavily outdated and looks way to bad and old compared to the DCS standard.

So the thing is , prices going to the original values taking in count, there is one product at least with cockpit quality under the min quality that causes severe handicaps, specially at night and lowers the overall quality of DCS products.

The former DCS module, the origin of the saga deserves a cockpit on par with the actual quality. And of course for free because most of the original users of the Black Shark had payed twice at least for It. BS1 and BS2.

I think is fair enough. And i can wait. Im not asking for a new cockpit tomorrow, i understand the time needed for that, but in the actual situation the Ka-50 seems another product, not DCS quality anymore.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

And how much sales do you think such an old module generates anymore, say on a yearly basis?

No. I'm pretty certain ED won't develop it further - at least substantially - unless users are willing to pay for the upgrades. Tough, but it is what it is.

I genuinely hope ED don't have this attitude.

This would defeat the whole purpose of DCS World. I still want to be flying the aircraft we have now in 10 years time.

All they need to do is update the cockpit textures to bring them up to 2.5 standard. I don't consider that substantial.

• Like 1

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Pretty sure since the most of the F/A-18C Textures are finished and the devs are working so far only on the system integration and coding, the 3D-Design team cant be that busy. I would apreciate a retexturing of the KA-50 cockpit and would be even willing to pay for that.

Flightsim Community is small. And realistic Combat Sim Community is even smaller. If we dont support them they might fall into that blackhole were all the Simmarket fell into more than a decade ago.

• Like 1

This is not the question.
Of course it is. Put in work, you get expenses. You get expenses, you'll need to cover them somehow. An old module doesn't generate much sales, so you'll need to cover them by charging for any substantial redevelopment work you do.

Now, we may still see some updates to the module free of charge. Never said we couldn't. But anything major? Nope, not unless us the punters pay for it.

And that's really all I've got to say about this, since I don't want to get drawn into a Yours Truly vs. 10000000^2 Ka-50 aficionados handbag war ;) :D

Nice comment. Truly yours

PFM for Su-27: Free

PFM for Su-33: Free

PFM for Mig-29: Free

New Caucasus map: Free

New EGT model: Free

New cockpit textures in FC3: Free

But asking for new cockpit textures in the Black Shark is a major, substantial change that should be payed.

Nice logic.

Edited by Esac_mirmidon
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If ED / Module devs can't be bothered to keep their modules up to date, they shouldn't be selling them.

People expect module parity to a greater or larger degree. Look at Mig-21 when it languished without updates.

Such an approach is terrible for long term viability of the sim and therefore long term profit with a stable product.

Thats why I don't think ED will neglect it in long run at all. Look at all the updates FC3 gets.

V.O.D.K.A. Squadron: Northern Wolves - Red ones go faster!

ED once planned to deliver an overhaul of the Ka-50 for free.

Seeing as that plan failed, and they turned it into a paid upgrade and received quite a bit of blow-back for it, I'm sure they're not going to make any promises unless they're quite sure.

AFAIK, the problems with the lamps/lights have been acknowledged as a bug and will be fixed (hopefully soon).

IMO, most of the Ka-50's cockpit interior is below today's standards as set by newer modules. I'd certainly applaud ED if they upgraded it for free, but I'd definitely be willing to pay a reasonable price for BS3, too. :thumbup:

Msalma, I could see your point if DCS followed a traditional game format. Why work on Call of Duty 17 when everybody is buying Call of Duty 18. Airframes in DCS are not only task specific, but persistent. How old a module is does not really have anything to do its viability in the game. When a new airframe is introduced there will obviously be a sales spike from the current DCS customer base. However, for someone late to the DCS game like myself, I am looking at what airframes interest me, when it was released has nothing to do with my decision. The DCS business model gives completed modules very long legs in sales. My first purchase just a few years ago was Blackshark 2, followed by A10C, then flaming Cliffs. 20 modules later I am part of the growing DCS customer base, buying the latest modules only because I don’t have them. My point is the old modules were new to me, and they are new to every other customer who is new to DCS. People who are just getting into DCS and purchase Blackshark as there first module may be disappointed and judge DCS unfairly and not become part of their loyal customer base. Expanding a customer base is the only way a company can survive. So DCS has three choices. 1) Reduce the price of the older modules as they have done for the flaming cliffs, so customers know they are getting a budget model. 2) Upgrade the current module for free and continue to sell at full price. 3) Upgrade the current module, charge for the upgrade, and continue to sell the upgraded model for full price. I think they have to pick one, and it would be in their best business interest to do so. DCS is like a Crack Dealer, they offer a taste for free, get you hooked, next thing you know you are hovering over your keyboard pressing F5, or buying modules that aren’t even out yet. Of course, it exercises your mind instead of destroying it, and is about the cheapest thing out there for personal entertainment.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by MilesD
  • Like 4

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/05/15

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Huh, guess we should pay for patches as well, if we follow your logic.

I am certain that if ED asks a higher profile texture mod creator in the community and give him the resources he will do it for free

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

We should give credit where credit is due. If DCS wasn't a labor of love for ED, it wouldn't exist at all right now. They haven't always made profit in equal measure to effort. I would venture to say that they still aren't. They're playing the long game. Wags has discussed many times in the past that you don't develop Sims to make max revenue. Candy Crush didn't require a team of artists, mathematicians, and subject matter experts... but I would bet that it's made more money. What they've done for the sim community is a significant breakthrough, and it was done at much personal sacrifice. These are people who see a value which is beyond a "bottom line". I would have to agree with the other folks in this post when they say ED will take care of the KA-50 textures.. it's just a matter of time and resources.

• Like 1

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm