DCS Menu Nav

JLX

DCS Menu Nav  

234 members have voted

1. 1. DCS Menu Nav

• VERY - As a heavy HOTAS and/or VR user, this would be a big help!
    • KINDA - It'd be nice to have but not that big of a deal.
    • NOT AT ALL - Don't really see the need for anything beyond what we already have.

can someone elaborate on how to use this? i see a bunch of mp3 files. not sure where to put them, how to activate the menu nav, how to use etc.

The program isn't a mod of DCS, it's a separate utility. So, you can put it wherever you like, just keep all the files in the same directory (including the MP3).

The MP3 files simply call out the selected number. This was added for VR users who can't see the visual overlay. You can disable this in the INI if you like.

To use it, please read the docs on how to set up the INI file for your your joystick, then run the EXE. In game, use the 4 hotkeys to activate it and control your DCS menu.

If you're having trouble figuring out which controller is assigned to which ID, try this utility: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13009

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

JLX,

thanks for the explanation and the link. What seemed complicated then now makes sense. I managed to get it working!

From your link, i found that my throttle is joystick 3 while the stick is #4.

I use the throttle's slew hat push button as a modifier, and CMS on stick for the menu nav.

CMS left to toggle menu nav on/off, CMS right to select.

I set monitorPOV to 4 as the stick is joystick 4.

So my ini file is as follow:

[POV]

MonitorPOV = 4

[buttons]

BtnToggle = 4Joy18

BtnItemUp = 4Joy15

BtnItemDn = 4Joy17

BtnSelect = 4Joy16

[Modifiers]

BtnMod1 = 3Joy1

Realized i could only see the function keys appear on monitor, while in VR only hear my selection. Reviewing this thread shows that others also can't see it in VR, so i'm not missing some step.

Separately, I had to assign another button to trigger the comms start, ie. the \ command. I used the CMS press button with another modifier, the paddle switch.

So CMS press button starts the \ comms, then CMS left toggles on the menu nav, then CMS up/down to navigate to the desired F key, then CMS right to select the one I want, all with pressing the modifier. Meanwhile, hearing the navigation in VR and seeing the navigation on the monitor by peeking through the VR headset nose gap.

This utility works beautifully. Thanks again!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

hmm.. I have assigned it properly and the buttons work in (chrome) or something else. In dcs, I can't even get it to register the F keys. What am I doing wrong? I can \ and it shows the options but when I use the F keys program to click on it it doesn't register.

Gosh... I'd really like to use this, but I can't get any response even in windowed mode. I normally fly in VR, and understand the overlay won't be visible, but I'm not getting any sounds played or commands executed.

I want to have a modifier on my throttle eventually, but I'm not getting any command execution from my joystick, and I'm sure it's ID1 in Windows.

EDIT: I was right about it being ID1, and for some reason DMN isn't recognizing anything from ID1. I set my stick to ID2 in Windows and in the config file, and now it works. Now I just have to figure out how I want the keys set.

EDIT2: Any way to have multiple toggles? I can figure a way with vJoy and Joystick Gremlin, but if there's a simple way in the ini, I'd prefer it.

Edited by RogueSqdn

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

DCS Menu Nav

I don’t think that’s necessary since it works on other than ID1 for me.

As for multiple PTTs, I mapped all positions of my Winwing throttle’s comm switch to the same vJoy button in Joystick Gremlin, then made that vJoy button a modifier in DCS. Seems to work and keep my HOTAS buttons from activating while using DMN.

I’ve got more work to do on it this weekend, but last night got the F/A-18C and A-10A working. I bought every other module I didn’t own during the sale, but only have the American planes set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

If DCS -> Options -> Full Screen ON - "DCS Menu Nav" does not work!

Окурок, выброшенный в урну, гораздо патриотичнее флажочка на автомобиле

TM Wartrhog Stick + VPC MongoosT-50Base + VPC TMW Extension 150mm / TM Wartrhog Throttle / CH Pro Pedals / 2-VPC Deck Mount / TrackIR5/

i5-10600K Over to 5.0MHz/32GbDD4-3200/RTX4070/System-SSD1 DCS-SSD2/32" 2560x1440

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Your software is very useful, thanks for sharing it !

I just put here some screenshots to help newbies like me :)

1) Open 'game controller' on windows and make your throttle or your joystick as default in advanced settings :

1.PNG

2) Identify your Modifier button by clicking on 'Properties' in the same menu (here it's the 13 button because it's in ON mode while I don't touch anything on throttle) :

2.PNG

3) Map the same button for Communication Menu in DCS and for "BtnToggle" in 'DCS Menu Nav.ini' of the software :

3.PNG

4.PNG

4) Map your buttons as required in the "DCS Menu Nav.ini" file and don't forget to map the modifier too if you've found one in step #2 :

My configuration for example :

5.PNG

5) Don't forget to stop and start the software at each modification of the .ini file

6) In DCS, press the Toggle button (Joy6 in my case) and you will see something like this :

6.PNG

I hope it may help some people

• Like 1

On 6/20/2017 at 9:18 AM, JLX said:

Hey hog_driver111th,

If you're using prefixes to specify the joystick, please remember to check and make sure the modifiers (if you use any) are correct too. You may have changed the prefix on the buttons but forgotten to change the one the modifier?

If you're still having trouble getting the stick recognized. Check to see if you've setup a preferred default in Windows. Try setting it to your TMW and then just use the default joystick (i.e. no prefix number) in DCS Menu Nav. You can see my test setup as an example below.

Please let me know if this works for you. If so, I'll add a little blurb in the original post in case others run into the same issue.

attachment.php?attachmentid=164508&stc=1&d=1497913571

[buttons]
BtnToggle = Joy10
BtnItemUp = Joy7
BtnItemDn = Joy9
BtnSelect = Joy8

[Modifiers]
BtnMod1 = Joy4
BtnMod2 = 
BtnMod3 = 
BtnMod4 =

JoystickDefault.gif.4007c69638c90a1011fa8330cbfdcaba.gif

Ha this post saved me as I was trying to migrate this to a new PC.  This is a great piece of software, even more so in VR for those of us that don't want to use voice attack and the functionality should move into the DCS core. This saved me a number of times when calling 'ready pre contact'

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

• 1 month later...

Brand new VR user here (Oculus Quest2). THANK YOU for this utility.  I am getting stuff working little by little. I didn't realize just how much I relied on the keyboard as I kind of maxed out the buttons and switches on my Cougar HOTAS.  THANK you for implementing the SHIFT function using HOTAS buttons. I had used some Modifiers in DCS but they are all Keyboard modifiers so they don't work well in VR.  NOW I can operate the radios again without juggling the headset.

• 9 months later...

Question:  I upgraded my HOTAS to a WINWING ORION, and I am trying to use some of the buttons/switches on the Throttle Base. I cannot get them to work.

I suspect it is because the numbering on the buttons is above the Windows limit of 32. For example:

[Buttons]
BtnToggle = 3Joy7
BtnItemUp = 3Joy109
BtnItemDn = 3Joy111
BtnSelect = 3Joy85

The TOGGLE WORKS but the others do not.

I guess DCS gets around this.  Any way to use Menu Nav with higher numbered joystick inputs?

Edited by Recluse

• 1 month later...

I've been away from DCS for a looooong time! BUT... The AH-64 looks to be the thing that draws me me back in.

Nice to see some people are still using DCS Menu Nav after so much time!  A special thanks to all those who offered helpful tips/advice in my absence!

Even though very late, I thought I'd comment on this last question:

On 2/7/2022 at 12:25 PM, Recluse said:

Question:  I upgraded my HOTAS to a WINWING ORION, and I am trying to use some of the buttons/switches on the Throttle Base. I cannot get them to work.

I suspect it is because the numbering on the buttons is above the Windows limit of 32. For example:

[Buttons]
BtnToggle = 3Joy7
BtnItemUp = 3Joy109
BtnItemDn = 3Joy111
BtnSelect = 3Joy85

The TOGGLE WORKS but the others do not.

I guess DCS gets around this.  Any way to use Menu Nav with higher numbered joystick inputs?

Menu Nav is built using AHK and limited by what it can do. So, it only recognizes up to 32 joystick buttons.

Two workarounds I can think of would be:

1. Remap the buttons on your joystick so that the ones you want to use with Menu Nav are below 32. Or...

2. You could use other utilities to map buttons above 32 to new virtual controllers. So, for example, if you had a 64 button joystick, make it appear as two 32 button joysticks.

I know neither of these are ideal and require a bit of fiddling around. But, they might help you achieve what you're trying to do. Good luck!

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

Thank you for the reply!!  At least it confirms my thoughts.  I found some workarounds using lesser used HOTAS buttons that don't interfere too much with normal functions when being used for Menu Nav, but I may look into some other utilities.

DCS Menu Nav is true gift to VR users!!!

• 9 months later...

I can not get this to work. I have the entire folder in C:\Games and run the application every time before I play.

My joystick is my main input so I have it the buttons mapped to Joy22, Joy23, and Joy24 (Thumb wheel on my F-18 stick). I set the toggle as the same button as my Comm Menu button on my throttle, so 2Joy16.

What am I missing?

Edited by Tusk.V

Specs: i7 13700KF @ 5.5, 64Gb RAM, RTX 4090, Pimax Crystal

Not sure.  It works fine for me.  All I can suggest is to check your Joystick Mappings again in the DCS MENU NAV.ini file.

Question:  Do you get the Sound (VR)  or visual indication (non-VR) when you hit your Toggle or is that not working either? If your Toggle isn't working, check to make sure for some reason Windows doesn't think your Joystick 2 is Joystick 3 or something.

If the toggle is not working, nothing else will  🙂

If the Toggle is working but the other buttons are not, then potentially the thumbwheel isn't sending discrete inputs, though I would imagine you have used it this way before.

Also, as I mentioned some time ago on the VR4DCS discord, make sure your Windows Sound playback source is set correctly so you can hear the voice prompts. If using the VR headset as the speakers/headphones, make sure that is what the Windows output is set to. If using another device, make sure THAT is what it is set to otherwise you will not hear the Menu Nav sounds. This tripped me up many times.

Edited by Recluse
  • Like 1

I got everything working but when I push my select button (Joy23 for me) it just sends me back to the top of the menu.

I've tried different buttons on my throttle and joystick but it still goes back to 1 when I hit the select button.

Any ideas?

Edited by Tusk.V

Specs: i7 13700KF @ 5.5, 64Gb RAM, RTX 4090, Pimax Crystal

The Select seems to send a "1". So, if you have NOTHING selected and hit SELECT, it will jump to F1.

If you use the Up and Down to get to a menu selection, when you get there and hit SELECT it will "say" "1" but will select that item.

Are you getting the sound for the counting when you use your up and down keys?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have an issue with this utility.

It works fine on the desktop (triggers help page when I press F1 or refreshes the webpage by F5) but DCS does not recognise it.

Even when I enter the controls setup it does not recognise commands from DCS Menu Nav 1.2.

I jumped recently to the open beta version of DCS. It worked before on the stable version though.

Any ideas?