M/71 LYSB fails to release

Burnhard

Has anyone here successfully deployed the M/71 LYSB? Tried for an hour with no luck. Is this a bug?

Running the latest release version of DCS.

Burnhard

Periferals - HP Reverb - Viper/Warthog grip on VPC WarBRD base - Virpil Mogoos T-50 Throttle - MFG Crosswind rudders - Gametrix KW 908 // HW - 7700k@4.8 - 32GB@3200 - RTX2080TI // DCS Favourites - AJS37 - SA342 - F-16C :thumbup:

Great! Let me know how it goes:) then if you make it at least i know it's me :D or opposite. I hate wasting more hours upon hours if it's impossible due to a bug

DCS favorites: AJS 37 - A10C - SA342

PC: Oculus Rift CV1 - 7700K @4.8 - 1080TI - 16GB @3.8GHz - M2SSD Intel 600p

member of TAWDCS.org

Burnhard

Periferals - HP Reverb - Viper/Warthog grip on VPC WarBRD base - Virpil Mogoos T-50 Throttle - MFG Crosswind rudders - Gametrix KW 908 // HW - 7700k@4.8 - 32GB@3200 - RTX2080TI // DCS Favourites - AJS37 - SA342 - F-16C :thumbup:

One has to think "These are not bombs".

Setup Wpn Selector to ATTACK and "Spacing" to LYS RAKT

Then set your waypoint as target waypoint (TAKT/in 9 on B1 in example) and stay in TAKT/out to see you still have the 4 bomb-racks (0 1 1 1 1 0) since this delivery will NOT give you a "FÄLLD LAST".

ajs-lys1.png

As you approach your target steerpoint flip over from NAV to Attack

ajs-lys2.png

Now, usually you drop/launch on the blink since you're supposed to pull-up pretty hard but here I am just keeping level flight and still holding the trigger.

Just as I pretty much pass M1 I can see the (0 1 1 1 1 0) indicate drop by going (0 1 0 0 1 0) and finally all zeros.

ajs-lys3.png

After release it takes quite a few seconds before the illumination starts:

ajs-lys4.png

ajs-lys5.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

theOden man thanks for that in depth explanation/tutorial! I'll for sure follow it to the decimal! (When back from vacation.) Thanks again :)

Burnhard

• 3 weeks later...

Solved by the help of theOden! Thanks for the tutorial. I'm embarrased to say it was the VÄ/RA/HÖ I failed to set, because I could not find it. Thanks alot:)

Burnhard

• 1 year later...
One has to think "These are not bombs".

Setup Wpn Selector to ATTACK and "Spacing" to LYS RAKT

Then set your waypoint as target waypoint (TAKT/in 9 on B1 in example) and stay in TAKT/out to see you still have the 4 bomb-racks (0 1 1 1 1 0) since this delivery will NOT give you a "FÄLLD LAST".

ajs-lys1.png

As you approach your target steerpoint flip over from NAV to Attack

ajs-lys2.png

Now, usually you drop/launch on the blink since you're supposed to pull-up pretty hard but here I am just keeping level flight and still holding the trigger.

Just as I pretty much pass M1 I can see the (0 1 1 1 1 0) indicate drop by going (0 1 0 0 1 0) and finally all zeros.

ajs-lys3.png

After release it takes quite a few seconds before the illumination starts:

ajs-lys4.png

ajs-lys5.png

Okay so this made sense to me, and I was able to figure out the missing step which seems to contradict one thing you said here.

The biggest key is the CK37 requires the 4G turn to strip them off - if you fly level over the target area they won't release but if you create 4Gs up or down (didn't try sideways) they release like happy little not-bombs.

---

AJS37 Viggen, F-16C Viper, Adobe Premier.

X56 HOTAS, Ryzen 7, GTX 2070S

youtube.com/leadnapgaming

• 2 weeks later...

I tried several times with a 4g pull and only got them to release once.

Maybe it's bugged.

Attached is a video of the pullup and release. Maybe you can see the parameters and reproduce the release reliably. (you'll have to download a free ts video viewer if you don't have one already.)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12SgHXKfIW4SWaP5rt4mPZzHN-H9H1lBl

Edited by rooster328
attach video

I tried couple times and it was working -- BUT I still had bombs on the racks after the attack. Not sure if just visual bug or half of the bombs failed to come off? It was always that the back rows of the bombs stayed on the racks on all of the racks.

>ATTACK & ANF

>LYS RAKT

>Altitude 150m

>Speed mach 0.9

>Pull trigger when distance line is blinking (and keep holding)

>Pull 4g (follow ADI needle)

>Stop pulling trigger when 'Fäld Last' light comes on

What a beautiful string of lights!

A-10C Warthog | AJS-37 Viggen | F-5E Tiger II | Mig-15bis | MiG-19P Farmer

>Pull trigger when distance line is blinking (and keep holding)

This is what you're doing wrong! The blinking line is a 4 second warning, not a release indication.

This link will play the video from the part where I explain HUD indicators (specifically the blinking line) though I later at the end correct something from the next slide.

The result is you are probably still holding on when the actual firing point has arrived, but the parameters are off.

---

I tried several times with a 4g pull and only got them to release once.

Maybe it's bugged.

Attached is a video of the pullup and release. Maybe you can see the parameters and reproduce the release reliably. (you'll have to download a free ts video viewer if you don't have one already.)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12SgHXKfIW4SWaP5rt4mPZzHN-H9H1lBl

I'll download the video later (at work, can't see vid now) to look at your release, as mentioned above - a lot of people confuse the selector switch or the release indications in the HUD. Since making the tutorial I consistently release them with no issue.

---

This is what you're doing wrong! The blinking line is a 4 second warning, not a release indication.

This link will play the video from the part where I explain HUD indicators (specifically the blinking line) though I later at the end correct something from the next slide.

The result is you are probably still holding on when the actual firing point has arrived, but the parameters are off.

Are you sure? Reading the manual I understand it so that blinking line is the 4 second warning to pull up - but you start pulling the trigger right away? Atleast I've hit spot on with that method - could be beginners luck too... :D

Well made video BTW! Viggen stuff can be bit tricky - videos like that are really helpful.

Are you sure? Reading the manual I understand it so that blinking line is the 4 second warning to pull up - but you start pulling the trigger right away? Atleast I've hit spot on with that method - could be beginners luck too... :D

Well made video BTW! Viggen stuff can be bit tricky - videos like that are really helpful.

:huh::book::doh::joystick::doh:

Guess who is going to be redoing a tutorial.... this guy.

I must have read that stupid section like 10 times and it just seemed to contradict a lot of other stuff. Excellent observation. Sorry to all who are following the tutorial (which still releases them - just not as effectively I suppose). That is strange though because behind the scenes I probably spend about a day reading and researching, another day flying around testing everything - then another actually flying it for the film - then I make the slides, script and record. Edit. Release. <- so in all of that process I was getting good effect with them not pulling at 4sec.

Thanks for the observation!

---

Well I went ahead and did a lot of testing - and releasing the trigger at the 4 sec mark made no discernable difference, except 50% of the time even during the pull up there would be no release. For radar release the line flashes at 2 not 4 seconds so we're going to need someone who either speaks Swedish and can read the actual manuals, a dev, or a former SAF pilot to tell us what the difference would be because as far as the sim goes I can't differentiate between doing it wrong and waiting to pull the trigger until pop-up and pulling it a whopping 5 seconds before hand.

I also just doing simple math in my head think an early release would be counter productive - they fall at 7.5m/s so 5 seconds early from the expected 150m AGL means a low opening - while if released in the 4g climb at M0.9 you're bringing them higher?

---

I haven't tried deploying LysB, so take this with a grain of salt.

When reading the section about procedure in the manual, I interpret it like it really doesn't matter when the trigger is pressed (and held), as long as it's done before the 4g pull-up. The 4g pull-up is what makes the system to release them. Does it make any noticeable difference if you pull the trigger well ahead of the 4s or 2s cue?

I can't see a reason for the two different times (4s and 2s) given in the manual. In the first section "Illumination bomb HUD display" it says 4s. In the "Radar release" it says nothing to differentiate it from HUD mode above. But in "Illumination bombs checklist" it says 2s, but nothing about if HUD or radar release is used. To me it's a bit ambiguous. But as I said, I don't think it really matter as long as you press the trigger before pull-up.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I haven't tried deploying LysB, so take this with a grain of salt.

When reading the section about procedure in the manual, I interpret it like it really doesn't matter when the trigger is pressed (and held), as long as it's done before the 4g pull-up. The 4g pull-up is what makes the system to release them. Does it make any noticeable difference if you pull the trigger well ahead of the 4s or 2s cue?

I can't see a reason for the two different times (4s and 2s) given in the manual. In the first section "Illumination bomb HUD display" it says 4s. In the "Radar release" it says nothing to differentiate it from HUD mode above. But in "Illumination bombs checklist" it says 2s, but nothing about if HUD or radar release is used. To me it's a bit ambiguous. But as I said, I don't think it really matter as long as you press the trigger before pull-up.

In this you are absolutely correct, because as the manual states the munitions will release when the parameters are met - so it's basically a "any time now" button. The part that doesn't make sense is WHY you would trigger 5 seconds from the 4g pull if the 4g pull has to release them

---

In this you are absolutely correct, because as the manual states the munitions will release when the parameters are met - so it's basically a "any time now" button. The part that doesn't make sense is WHY you would trigger 5 seconds from the 4g pull if the 4g pull has to release them

I would guess the flashing line is just supposed to work as an early reminder in this case. When you say 5s, do you count 4s+1s (phase 3 and 4 page 322)? I interpret the 1s as part of the 4s, i.e. when 3s pased the line gets long momentarily and then return.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I would guess the flashing line is just supposed to work as an early reminder in this case. When you say 5s, do you count 4s+1s (phase 3 and 4 page 322)? I interpret the 1s as part of the 4s, i.e. when 3s pased the line gets long momentarily and then return.

Yes - when I've done all my testing for it the flash runs for 4 seconds, the long line on dist indicator for 1 second for a total of 5. As previously mentioned - there are certainly other (more clear/logical) ways to utilize HUD iconography to tell the pilot when to pull up complete with warning (hell there are for other weapons on the Viggen!) but this was produced by Saab engineers, so strange ingenuity is the name of the game.

If you watch closely the 1 second indicator (long even line through whole distance indicator) drops and then the distance indicator works as it does on anything else as far as envelope dimension - with the distance line between the limits directly inside them and shrinking as you go.

I suppose as the topic goes on and I continue to think about it - the best rationale for pressing the trigger at the 4 Second mark (5 seconds out) is that if suddenly enemy ground fire directed you to climb immediately the release parameters would be met and you would illuminate roughly near the target area - which follow on strike units could exploit.

---

I must have read that stupid section like 10 times and it just seemed to contradict a lot of other stuff. .....

Viggen stuff can be bit tricky... nothing more to add.

And BTW: this thing is called learning :smartass:

Don't take it too serious, I think we all had moments like yours when learning about the Viggen ...

Now imagine you have to model that beast for DCS ...

What must they have gone through ... :weight_lift:

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Viggen stuff can be bit tricky... nothing more to add.

And BTW: this thing is called learning :smartass:

Don't take it too serious, I think we all had moments like yours when learning about the Viggen ...

Now imagine you have to model that beast for DCS ...

What must they have gone through ... :weight_lift:

I totally agree, my only concern was that I had published a tutorial on it - which said to release ON the 4G pull up. The learning part is the part I love so much, it is what makes DCS what it is. I have no idea where to even begin thinking about what the HB and other developers have done to make this a reality.

---

Yes - when I've done all my testing for it the flash runs for 4 seconds, the long line on dist indicator for 1 second for a total of 5...

but this was produced by Saab engineers, so strange ingenuity is the name of the game...

As I said, haven't tested LysB yet (and off for the holidays at the moment) so I definitely trust you regarding the 5 seconds.

Strange ingenuity, it's one of the reasons I love SAAB! That and that I was growing up with a yellow SAAB 95 station wagon from -80 I believe, my first car was a SAAB 96 from -69, I now drive a SAAB 9-5 from -05 and a 9-3 from -02.

And the HB Viggen of course ;-)

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I must have read that stupid section like 10 times and it just seemed to contradict a lot of other stuff. Excellent observation. Sorry to all who are following the tutorial (which still releases them - just not as effectively I suppose). That is strange though because behind the scenes I probably spend about a day reading and researching, another day flying around testing everything - then another actually flying it for the film - then I make the slides, script and record. Edit. Release. <- so in all of that process I was getting good effect with them not pulling at 4sec.

Yeah well @Holton181 is probably right - probably doesn't make any difference if the release will be at 4G in any case. Most likely there just to make sure that the trigger is definitely being pressed once the release parameters are met (bit like A-10C CCRP release) - so that the trigger pull doesn't happen in the last possible second and release might fail because if the timing was bit off. Just guessing.