Plane swerving without any input !

Set up my rudder pedals for the F-15's right and left wheel brakes. Used them for the first time to make the attached track. I need practice but I can see that there is a decided difference in how the aircraft behaves. There is no such option for the Su-27 unfortunately. At the end of the track, once I figure out how to engage the nose wheel steering (I said I rarely fly this bird), I turn around and take off.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

if its adjusting axes entering with vear being deployed, it sounds like the assists are on.

as for the F-15 NWS, hold S button.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

if its adjusting axes entering with vear being deployed, it sounds like the assists are on.

Isn't that just a setting for the free version of the P-51?

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Is there any way I can provide more information or anything ?

if you could post up some screenshots of the plane's controls settings, from the Options/ Controls section, that may help eliminate, at least ?

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

SHaDoW,

Have you been seeing anything like this? First image is wheel brakes on but the 2nd is after I've released them:

Brakes ON.jpg

Brakes OFF.jpg

Saw this in both your and BIGNEWY's F-15 takeoff tracks when I took over. In each case, the aircraft veered to the left during the takeoff roll.

_____

SHaDoW,

Have you been seeing anything like this? First image is wheel brakes on but the 2nd is after I've released them:

Brakes ON.jpg

Brakes OFF.jpg

Saw this in both your and BIGNEWY's F-15 takeoff tracks when I took over. In each case, the aircraft veered to the left during the takeoff roll.

Yup, that yaw axis has a small input to the left, that's what I'm seeing when I replay Shadow's tracks.

Edited by Hardcard

No idea what that is :?

The left brake is partially engaged even though I'm no longer pressing the "W" key in the 2nd image. Have you ever noticed anything like that? I don't think I have before this. I didn't have time this AM to look into it further and test to see if it's intermittent or even reproducable. I only had time to fly your and BIGNEWY's F-15 takeoff tracks 1 time. The left brake was partially "on" in each flight and the aircraft behaved just as you described--angling to the left as speed increased during the takeoff roll.

Hopefully I'll have time to investigate further before work tomorrow.

_____

• ED Team

interesting find Ironhand, you must have better eyes than mine, I will take a look at this

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

The left brake is partially engaged even though I'm no longer pressing the "W" key in the 2nd image. Have you ever noticed anything like that? I don't think I have before this. I didn't have time this AM to look into it further and test to see if it's intermittent or even reproducable. I only had time to fly your and BIGNEWY's F-15 takeoff tracks 1 time. The left brake was partially "on" in each flight and the aircraft behaved just as you described--angling to the left as speed increased during the takeoff roll.

Hopefully I'll have time to investigate further before work tomorrow.

That brake behavior is odd, but the aircraft goes left always, regardless of whether or not brakes are applied.

That small yaw input to the left turns the steering wheel enough to make the aircraft go left at low speeds. For the record, my aircraft also tend to go left when the landing gear is deployed (perhaps not so heavily, but it happens to me too), even though the yaw indicator appears to be centered. I think the yaw indicator just doesn't reflect the steering wheel orientation accurately. I think there might be a bug here that makes the steering wheel turn a little bit to the left when deployed and the yaw axis indicator doesn't pick it up...

Edited by Hardcard

That brake behaviour is odd, but the aircraft goes left always, regardless of whether or not brakes are applied.

That small yaw input to the left turns the steering wheel enough to make the aircraft go left at low speeds. For the record, my aircraft also tend to go left when the landing gear is deployed (perhaps not so heavily, but it happens to me too), even though the yaw indicator appears to be centered. I think the yaw indicator just doesn't reflect the steering wheel orientation accurately. I think there might be a bug here that makes the steering wheel turn a little bit to the left when deployed and the yaw axis indicator doesn't pick it up...

I have to agree with Hardcard. I set my rudder deadzone to zero and created a small input on the right brake axis as seen in other tracks (see trackfile). My plane simply rolls straight down the line so the most probably reason for the problems in Shadows tracks could be the minimal rudder/nosewheel input.

F-15 brake input.trk

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have to agree with Hardcard. I set my rudder deadzone to zero and created a small input on the right brake axis as seen in other tracks (see trackfile). My plane simply rolls straight down the line so the most probably reason for the problems in Shadows tracks could be the minimal rudder/nosewheel input.

Very interesting find. But it could also be that there's a minor left brake input not being picked up by the axis indicator. That would also explain why you were able to take off without deviating. In any case, it's clear to me that the axis indicator doesn't reflect the status of the landing gear accurately. Perhaps the nose wheel isn't properly aligned when the landing gear is deployed, or perhaps there's a little bit of left brake input, in either case the axis indicator fails to detect it...

Either that or there's physical effect we are all missing, LOL.

Edited by Hardcard

check input, axis settings, make sure a device is not assigned to left wheel brake.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

SHaDoW,

Brakes ON.jpg

Brakes OFF.jpg

Folks,

I have been unable to reproduce this. Have no idea what was going on at the time with the two tracks I was using but...this seems to be a false lead.

_____

• ED Team
Folks,

I have been unable to reproduce this. Have no idea what was going on at the time with the two tracks I was using but...this seems to be a false lead.

Same here could not reproduce. :huh:

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I think we should all say whether or not we experience a similar deviation to the left during takeoff and landing. For example, I think I've always experienced it, never seemed like a bug to me, just a physics effect related to something. Honestly , I think this deviation to the left has to do with the rotation of the turbines...

Anyway, that minor yaw input to the left just adds to the issue, so, Shadow, I think the deviation to the left is to be expected, but you should try to keep the yaw axis centered in order to reduce it.

Again, can you tell us what happens to the yaw indicator when you deploy your landing gear? Does it stay aligned or does it move a little bit to the left?

Im not sure if its the same problem I had but there is an option in misc options that you can check or uncheck stating 'synchronise cockpit controls with Hotas controls at mission start'. Whenever I check this button and load up an instant action with the A10C the plane will automatically veer left (or right cant remember) and crash with no input from myself. If I uncheck this box things will return to normal. Dont understand it but maybe it will help.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Im not sure if its the same problem I had but there is an option in misc options that you can check or uncheck stating 'synchronise cockpit controls with Hotas controls at mission start'. Whenever I check this button and load up an instant action with the A10C the plane will automatically veer left (or right cant remember) and crash with no input from myself. If I uncheck this box things will return to normal. Dont understand it but maybe it will help.

Unfortunately, that's not it. Aircraft veer left even with the option unchecked (I never check it anyway). Perhaps this creates issues for other players but I've never noticed any problem with this option.

In any case, Shadow seems so have moved on, so let's hope he has come to terms with this effect.:joystick:

veering left is induced through "torque" in a prop plane, jets have no "torque" as such... they just push forward - if the steering off centre (or the brakes catching on one side or the other [slow speed] rudder engaged at high speed ), the line is off

which leads to a question... both/ all engines are firing, aren't they?

and we're still waiting for control assignment screenshots ;)

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

veering left is induced through "torque" in a prop plane, jets have no "torque" as such... they just push forward - if the steering off centre (or the brakes catching on one side or the other [slow speed] rudder engaged at high speed ), the line is off

which leads to a question... both/ all engines are firing, aren't they?

and we're still waiting for control assignment screenshots ;)

Contrary to popular assumption, torque is not what makes propeller planes YAW to one side during takeoff and landing, the propeller wash (or spiraling slipstream), among other effects, does that.

Propellers generate a spiral air current that pushes against the vertical tail of the aircraft, the result of that is the aircraft YAWING to one side.

Torque influences the ROLL of the aircraft, not the yaw, because of Newton's third law (propeller pushes against the air and the air pushes against the propeller in the opposite direction.)

There are four effects that generate a left roll/yaw tendency in a propeller plane (assuming that the propeller is rotating clockwise), those effects are:

-P-factor (or Asymmetrical loading)> Applies when the nose of the aircraft is pointing up and the propeller is rotating fast. It generates left roll and yaw tendencies.

-Propeller wash (or Spiraling slipstream)> Applies when the propeller is rotating fast. It generates a left yaw tendency.

-Torque> Applies when the propeller is rotating fast. It generates a left roll tendency when flying (since the ground is no longer supporting the left side of the plane).

-Gyroscopic Precession> Most noticeable in tailwheel aircraft. It generates a left yaw tendency.

These guys explain it better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2NPAqbiqlA

And you can also read about this here:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Understanding_Propeller_Torque_and_P-Factor

I didn't mention torque or wash in my post, I just said that maybe that left yaw tendency had to do with the rotation of the turbines (a turbine is a "concealed" smaller propeller with lots of blades, don't forget that). Maybe this is some kind of wash effect. In the case of jets, I know that the air currents circulate through the interior of the turbine and can't push against the tail of the aircraft, but perhaps they push against the wall of the turbine itself and that creates a small left yaw tendency, I don't know, could be another thing related to the rotation of the turbines, that's what I meant. I noticed that both turbines in the F-15 and Su-25 rotate in the same direction and I found it suspicious, that's why I thought about this.

Wolf, do you experience that left yaw tendency when you take off and land with FC3 planes? Try it and tell us about it.

Edited by Hardcard