Radar Elevation Control issue when assigning axis

not sure if this has been reported already, but I have assigned the "Radar Elevation Control" action to a slider on my throttle, but when i move the slider, the radar elevation moves from one extreme to the other (totally up or totally down), even with very slight movement on the slider.

I have this same slider assigned to the radar elevation control on the F-5E and it works as intended: slight movement on the slider moves the radar elevation slightly up or down. this allows fine control over the radar elevation.

maybe i'm not doing it right? but as i said it seems to work for other modules. let me know thoughts!:thumbup:

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

not sure if this has been reported already, but I have assigned the "Radar Elevation Control" action to a slider on my throttle, but when i move the slider, the radar elevation moves from one extreme to the other (totally up or totally down), even with very slight movement on the slider.

I have this same slider assigned to the radar elevation control on the F-5E and it works as intended: slight movement on the slider moves the radar elevation slightly up or down. this allows fine control over the radar elevation.

maybe i'm not doing it right? but as i said it seems to work for other modules. let me know thoughts!

It is not a linear axis, but a relative adjustment for direction. So it is a button function. Press and it goes to direction as long as it is pressed.

Now if you use axis, it is like a press of a button. Button release is same as axis would be in center of deadzone.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

It is not a linear axis, but a relative adjustment for direction. So it is a button function. Press and it goes to direction as long as it is pressed.

Now if you use axis, it is like a press of a button. Button release is same as axis would be in center of deadzone.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

sooo are you saying you can't map the radar elevation to a slider axis?

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

You can map it to a slider axis. You just have to make sure that is the ONLY place its mapped.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

You can map it to a slider axis. You just have to make sure that is the ONLY place its mapped.

hmm ok i'll mess with it some and report back

ok i cleared all mapping to the radar elevation control, then remapped it to my slider. still does the same thing :(

i have the thrusmaster TWCS (which is basically a replica of the F-18 throttle anyway for under $100!) and have the rotational axis mapped. if i move it just a little the elevation slides all of the way up or down

I just noticed this myself today.

I doubt this is the intended or correct function.

RyZen5 3600x, MSI GamingX RX 5700xt, AX-370-K7, 16 Gig G-Skil 3200 :thumbup:, Antec 650w (Still),Win10 on 256G 870 NVMe, 860+850 Evo for Apps, 2x1TB WD HDs for :music_whistling:, TR5 :detective:, Hog stick:joystick:, 3x TM MFD Bezels. a 32" AOC, @ 2560x1440, no floppy & a crappy chair :pain:. Its hard to find a chair that accepts you as you grow.:pilotfly:

ok i cleared all mapping to the radar elevation control, then remapped it to my slider. still does the same thing :(

i have the thrusmaster TWCS (which is basically a replica of the F-18 throttle anyway for under $100!) and have the rotational axis mapped. if i move it just a little the elevation slides all of the way up or down

Just out of Curiosity...What happens if you map it to the Up/Down switch on the front between the 2 push buttons and the TDC?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

See these Photos...Try mapping it to #4.

TWCS.thumb.jpg.54abc6d003f573a1ab540024ba751681.jpg

F-18throttle.jpg.00fbbd437c28fc4ce8abd089113b18c1.jpg

Edited by Sierra99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Just out of Curiosity...What happens if you map it to the Up/Down switch on the front between the 2 push buttons and the TDC?

yep that works fine when mapped to the up/down switch, though that's usually my speedbrake mapping. not sure what the circular axis is actually meant for. it seems like a good use of the radar elevation though, wish it would work there :joystick:

See these Photos...Try mapping it to #4.

oh just saw this post. thats pretty interesting, may have to re-think my mapping. though i dont have a very good joystick (FFB II) so am lacking in some HOTAS controls

Some airplanes have proportional relative motion to their antenna elevation controls, e.g. Mirage 2000. This is fundamentally incompatible with the concept of absolute position. I would be interested if the F/A-18 has a relative or absolute control in reality.

You can, but it doesn't work that way.

It is binary function and not axis.

You command radar to start tilting up/down, but not linearly. Your linear axis is acting like long button press as long it is not in deadzone (no press) to stop movement.

You should use a switch for it and not axis.

--

Some airplanes have proportional relative motion to their antenna elevation controls, e.g. Mirage 2000. This is fundamentally incompatible with the concept of absolute position. I would be interested if the F/A-18 has a relative or absolute control in reality.
I would find it odd that ED has it as axis option if not possible for absolute position mapping.

--

I would find it odd that ED has it as axis option if not possible for absolute position mapping.

It's not absolute, but a proportional control when mapped to an axis. It really needs to be on a spring centred axis.

In the centre, the radar doesn't move (needs a deadzone to make sure it doesn't creep).

The further from the centre the axis goes, the faster the radar slews up/down.

I think it works better mapped to buttons rather than an axis, but you can get the same effect by playing around with the axis curve. I think on the real hornet it's a self-centering 3-position switch(?)

It's not absolute, but a proportional control when mapped to an axis. It really needs to be on a spring centred axis.

In the centre, the radar doesn't move (needs a deadzone to make sure it doesn't creep).

The further from the centre the axis goes, the faster the radar slews up/down.

I think it works better mapped to buttons rather than an axis, but you can get the same effect by playing around with the axis curve. I think on the real hornet it's a self-centering 3-position switch(?)

Based real throttle images it looks like it is just the 3-position switch, just like TM16000 throttle has. So it ain't axis but just a switch. So two buttons is correct way to use it.

--

You should use a switch for it and not axis.

You CAN use an axis...The Slider 1 on a Warthog works just fine. Not sure why the Knob on the end of the throttle isn't working. It may not be an "Axis".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

You CAN use an axis...The Slider 1 on a Warthog works just fine. Not sure why the Knob on the end of the throttle isn't working. It may not be an "Axis".
On everything out has been so far an axis. Be it windows or any other game, including DCS. So why it wouldn't work just with hornet, unless hornet has a error?

--

This is really bugging me also, pun intended. Seeing as there are probably only a handful of people in the world who have an accurately modeled Hornet throttle hooked up to DCS, and almost all commercial flight sim throttles have a standard slider axis instead, wouldn't it make sense for ED to optionally adapt the control scheme to make it usable for the masses?

This is really bugging me also, pun intended. Seeing as there are probably only a handful of people in the world who have an accurately modeled Hornet throttle hooked up to DCS, and almost all commercial flight sim throttles have a standard slider axis instead, wouldn't it make sense for ED to optionally adapt the control scheme to make it usable for the masses?

The Thrustmaster TWCS throttle is based on the Hornet's and I think more than a handful of people run that very popular throttle.

Just map the radar elevation to two buttons or a hat on the throttle, and it would be realistically mapped.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

I have the TWCS throttle and a warthog flight stick.

One of the reason I bought the twcs throttle cost of a complete Thrustmaster warthog hotas aside is its resemblance to the real Hornet throttle.

In my setup, I have the radar elevation control mapped to the button 4 & 5 in the reference picture posted earlier just like in the real Hornet.

I had tried mapping to dial with axis functionality but did not go well as experienced by fellows here too.

The only use of the dial I could think of is for the camera absolute horizontal zoom in and out.

This oftentimes distort my view during critical moment as it can easily be touched while moving the throttle forward and aft. So I am thinking of disably this and leaving it unused.

Perhaps with target script, the dial can made to function differently from what it is presently in dcs Hornet.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

An absolute axis would be great. Yes it is more in line with controls found on the more high end controllers. But seeing as ED seems to be going with realism over all else I wouldn't hold your breath on it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

They keep adding options for other things, so why not this one?

If we want to pursue ultimate controls realism then we should:

- remove the ability to control both engines with single throttle. The real aircraft has two levers, deal with it.

- remove the ability to brake both wheels with single button or axis. The real aircraft has toe brakes, deal with it.

- remove TDC keyboard shortucts, the real aicraft has analog controller, not keyboard, so buy one.

And in the end only people with full cockpit replica will be able to fly the thing.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro