Bombs and Rockets won't drop off pylons, Crosshair won't work sometimes

Cunning_Fox

They work 50/50. I've tested every mode and I've tested the theory in tutorial: after a certain amount of time in game the F-5 just stops dropping bombs or rockets. I've tried every mode and every switch, I can hear and see the button being pressed for the laucnh, but nothing happens.

Also, sometimes the Crosshair stays in the same spot, despite setting elevation down. Maybe the Gyro got damaged in a steep turn due to over G, but the crosshair even in manual mode won't adjust. I have caged and uncaged it in other modes, switched modes - nothing.

Hi Fox, this is a textbook description of being in either dogfight guns or dogfight missile (DG/DM) mode. In both modes the AG launch/release circuitry is locked out to defer to sidewinders and and the pipper ignores depression settings, even if in manual mode on the gunsight control panel. Make sure to give a center press on your dogfight selector as you roll in for an AG attack.

Additionally the jettison switch being out of center catches everyone from time to time.

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

Actually, the DG/DM modes are off. I have made it go to search (or I just turn off the radar for ground work so as to increase stealth).

The problem with the radar is that the target designator on the radar display won't work in search mode, no matter the range. That happens only sometimes - it will get stuck and just won't move.

Jettison switch is in neutral positon (I check my cockpit and armament switches visually before starting the attack).

It might be the X-55 I am using, I am wondering if this happens to anyone else.

So far, the error has not repeated itself. I have reinstalled windows and will report back if it occurs again.

Edited by Cunning_Fox

Very good. The problem has been that people have reported intermittent rocket/bomb release problems since there has been a F5. These were the first four to come up after a quick search.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=172114

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=178446

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=192123

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208290

In every case I have seen, it has been either DM/DG, jettison switch, or a binding problem. And like I said, you described exactly what happens when the DG or DM mode is on; pipper won't move, rockets/bombs won't launch. There is no such thing as "over-G damage" to the gunsight. Furthermore, the radar being off or in standby has nothing to do with DM/DG modes. The symptoms described will occur whether the radar is emitting or not, so simply having the radar off/standby is not good enough. And if you can see the pickle button depressing on the in-game stick, I don't know what could be the problem with your X55.

But I'm glad to hear it hasn't reoccurred. Hopefully the reinstall did the trick since that is a lot of work. Sorry if I sound a little jaded but this exact question has been coming up for over three years now. If it does come back and you post a track there are lots of people to help!

Multiplayer as Variable

• 2 weeks later...

The way that I knew it was happening was because I tried the tutorial mission again, and with all things being equal - the bombs did not drop and the button was pressed. I have not changed anyhting and followed the tutorial through. So, I assumed it was not my fault, but the module or my X-55.

Are you saying it is still not working for you? My advice then is to post a track. People have been falsely claiming bugs with this module’s bomb/rocket release since it’s inception. I can assure you that while the F5 has some bugs remaining, there are none that cause the issues you describe.

But if it is working for you now then great, glad to hear it.

Multiplayer as Variable

Are you saying it is still not working for you? My advice then is to post a track. People have been falsely claiming bugs with this module’s bomb/rocket release since it’s inception. I can assure you that while the F5 has some bugs remaining, there are none that cause the issues you describe.

But if it is working for you now then great, glad to hear it.

No, I was making the situation clear. I am pretty aware of what I have experienced, so your assurance is not needed. It was a bug - whether with the X-55, the system or with the module. If it repeats - I will try to post it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problems with your system aren't F5 bugs. Problems with your X55 aren't F5 bugs.

What you described in your original post were the 100% textbook symptoms of the DM/DG switch out of center.

At some point you might consider which of these two is more likely; either (A) you made a simple switching mistake that nearly everyone who has spent any significant amount of time in the F5 has made or (B) the primary air to ground weapons of a popular module (that hasn't received any weapon system changes in months worth of updates) frequently suffer catastrophic failures that render them useless half of the time and you are the only one on the forums posting about it.

Multiplayer as Variable

I do not care for probability because it did not work in a tutorial. As a scientist I value the scientific method. Considering that the Radar lock brackets were also not functioning at some point and how buggy the half-released modules are, I’d go with “it’s a module problem”. After testing it thoroughly and switching between modes, as I’ve mentioned before, it did not work still.

The way I know it is also because a plane that landed in the same configuration would suddenly stop working after takeoff. I would fly around in circles in MP and the ordinance would not drop. After quitting MP and going for single missions, cold-starting and doing tutorial missions the same problem occurred, as if F-5 got “tired” of functioning properly. I have reinstalled the windows and the problem has not occurred, but also mainly because I am currently teaching myself to operate other platforms.

Thanks for your input.

I’d suggest you do not base conclusions solely on statistics, it’s a way to surely miss everything important. Let me remind you that many scientists were burned at the stake for telling the world that the Earth is round.

Edited by Cunning_Fox

I’d suggest you do not base conclusions on statistics...

Keep lecturing all you want. You are still the scientist who wants everyone to take you completely at your word without a shred of evidence. That's some weak science.

Going right to "its a module bug" with zero proof except your word doesn't sound like a very scientific way to go about things. But, if you really are interested in documenting bugs in a way that helps the devs (since you are posting in the bugs/problems section), here is NineLine's guide. It lays out a well defined, nicely structured way to make the report. Tracks of the "bugs" will be required though.

Multiplayer as Variable

Keep lecturing all you want. You are still the scientist who wants everyone to take you completely at your word without a shred of evidence. That's some weak science.

Going right to "its a module bug" with zero proof except your word doesn't sound like a very scientific way to go about things. But, if you really are interested in documenting bugs in a way that helps the devs (since you are posting in the bugs/problems section), here is NineLine's guide. It lays out a well defined, nicely structured way to make the report. Tracks of the "bugs" will be required though.

Sure, I’ll keep those tracks for when another “expert” tries to define logic to me. Shame I reinstalled windows and they are all gone.

Yes, reinstalling an operating system is always a surefire way to fix module bugs. You use two variables to try to troubleshoot problems when you are using "science" right? Oh, wait...

I never claimed to be an expert. You did. I simply tried to help when you asked a question with a problem scores of people have had with F5 switchology, not the module. You keep claiming the problem is with the F5 itself and aren't willing to admit the problem was on your end.

But if a track shows otherwise, I will of course admit I was incorrect. Some people can admit mistakes and grow. Some can't.

Multiplayer as Variable

If I may chime in here for a moment.

Cunning, if you would mind stating which "tutorial mission" you're flying, I will gladly check this mission out myself, test it, and give you my results. I truly don't believe this is an F-5 module issue, but will give you the benefit of doubt and test accordingly. I routinely fly the F-5, as it's one of my favorites after choppers, and I can tell you I do not have any issues dropping bombs and firing rockets, and will sometimes drop and fire both in a single pass.

As with Tom, I believe the issue is specific to your configuration. Whether that is a binding issue, HOTAS issue, or technique you're using I can't say.

Cunning, if you would mind stating which "tutorial mission" you're flying, I will gladly check this mission out myself, test it, and give you my results. I truly don't believe this is an F-5 module issue, but will give you the benefit of doubt and test accordingly.

That's a fair and reasonable assessment, I should have offered to try the tutorial myself as well. Thanks Baaz.

Multiplayer as Variable

Yes, reinstalling an operating system is always a surefire way to fix module bugs. You use two variables to try to troubleshoot problems when you are using "science" right? Oh, wait...

I never claimed to be an expert. You did. I simply tried to help when you asked a question with a problem scores of people have had with F5 switchology, not the module. You keep claiming the problem is with the F5 itself and aren't willing to admit the problem was on your end.

But if a track shows otherwise, I will of course admit I was incorrect. Some people can admit mistakes and grow. Some can't.

I reinstalled it for other reasons, because I wanted to do it anyway. It was not intended to “fix bugs”.

I don’t know where you get the notion that I value games so much that they require a system reinstallation.

I don’t recall claiming I was an expert. The rest is just pissing contest, and I’m not taking a part in it. I do admit my mistakes when I am wrong - my entire comment history shows this. Have a good day. I do hope to see you in MP so we can resolve our differences in combat and have fun at the same time.

Edited by Cunning_Fox

If I may chime in here for a moment.

Cunning, if you would mind stating which "tutorial mission" you're flying, I will gladly check this mission out myself, test it, and give you my results. I truly don't believe this is an F-5 module issue, but will give you the benefit of doubt and test accordingly. I routinely fly the F-5, as it's one of my favorites after choppers, and I can tell you I do not have any issues dropping bombs and firing rockets, and will sometimes drop and fire both in a single pass.

As with Tom, I believe the issue is specific to your configuration. Whether that is a binding issue, HOTAS issue, or technique you're using I can't say.

Laser bombing mission, when they teach you to use JTAC. It is fixed now, so really - there is no point in this thread, unless it repeats itself. I am in MiG-15bis now, trying to complete the Museum Relic. I haven’t flown in ages in F-5, but I will report if anything like this happens, as I’ve stated already.

there is no point in this thread, unless it repeats itself.

You are the one that reopened it after almost 2 weeks in post #5. I guess I just figured something new had occurred...

I don’t recall claiming I was an expert.

Sure you did. Right here.

Multiplayer as Variable

You are the one that reopened it after almost 2 weeks in post #5. I guess I just figured something new had occurred...

Sure you did. Right here.

I have listed my experience, but I have not claimed to be an expert. I know you want to get to me, but it won’t happen.

I have said what I had to, and forums don’t care for time, topics do. Anyway you are a nobody to me, and especially no one I care to explain myself to. I believe I bid you good day already. Take it or leave it. Or just leave, that works too.

Anyway, you want to test me - pick a plane and a time, I’ll meet you there. I am confident in my ability. Maybe that will get you to shut up finally.

Edited by Cunning_Fox

No need to get angry and threaten my poor digital pilot. Its the bug section. If you claim bugs without evidence and then actively protest the constructive advice you receive, you might get called out.

But I concede the point that kicking dirt at each other probably isn't the best use of the bug section either and certainly doesn't help the aircraft or the community. Cheers.

Multiplayer as Variable

No need to get angry and threaten my poor digital pilot. Its the bug section. If you claim bugs without evidence and then actively protest the constructive advice you receive, you might get called out.

But I concede the point that kicking dirt at each other probably isn't the best use of the bug section either and certainly doesn't help the aircraft or the community. Cheers.

Fly the friendly skies, my man. I’ll let you know if the bug happens again.

I was caught by this yesterday. Switchology problem as described (been away too long).

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

• 3 weeks later...

Cunning Fox, I had a bug before that on mission start the jet was already in DG/DM. I could have sworn that was patched at some point though.

When you get in, select Return to Search mode or whatever it's called even if it looks like you're already there.

Also, if everyone is telling you the same thing about problems it could be then maybe chill out a bit and realize you could have missed something. I mean, especially when your name is Cunning Fox...I mean...come on...the irony...

If it's not those problems then perhaps your stick is sending that DM/DG command on it's own with a bad switch. You could try rebinding that button to something you couldn't possibly miss if it actuated uncommanded like gear down or something as part of the troubleshooting.

Hope you figure it out if the problem is still persisting.

Cunning Fox, I had a bug before that on mission start the jet was already in DG/DM. I could have sworn that was patched at some point though.

When you get in, select Return to Search mode or whatever it's called even if it looks like you're already there.

Also, if everyone is telling you the same thing about problems it could be then maybe chill out a bit and realize you could have missed something. I mean, especially when your name is Cunning Fox...I mean...come on...the irony...

If it's not those problems then perhaps your stick is sending that DM/DG command on it's own with a bad switch. You could try rebinding that button to something you couldn't possibly miss if it actuated uncommanded like gear down or something as part of the troubleshooting.

Hope you figure it out if the problem is still persisting.

I have no problem when people are telling me if I am wrong. But, when I repeat the test several times AND the problem persists even if the conditions are different and the controls are not touched at all, except for what is described in the tutorial - I have a problem. Besides, it wasn’t the sticks fault, as I’ve seen the button for pickle pressed in the game and my modes switch is on my HOTAS for easy access - trust me, as I’ve tried that too. I didn’t throw a tantrum and post here because of some emotional outburst, the problem persisted for two days, in both SP and MP.

As for the peer pressure and crowd opinion - I don’t care. I’m in the business of telling people something they don’t know and discovering things nobody has ever found out before me in the name of Science (!), so if I would cave in to everyone’s opinion I wouldn’t be doing my job.

As for my nickname, I mean... come one man. johnv2pt0... Apostle John was spreading Christian religion among the people who have never believed in Christ, probably never seen him, and they were all trying to convince him that he doesn’t exist, and you’re telling me that I have to succumb to everyone’s “proof”? The irony.

I’m not saying Christianity is right or God exists, but the nickname game is not one you want to play here.

Anyway, it hasn’t repeated itself yet, like I’ve said.

Edited by Cunning_Fox

You're so right. I wouldn't dare take on a person so wise, humble, expert both in life and flight sims, and so charming. I mean it's not like you gave yourself a name of 360noScopEPwnMaztr or something...lol that would just be arrogant.

I'm glad the problem that was so perplexing to someone at your level and persisted to the extent of needing to make a forum post and that literally nobody has ever had before...worked itself out. It would be pretty embarrassing if it was one of the issues that the people who went out of their way to help you had discussed. Then you might have to lie to save face and the people might see right through you. It could get messy.

Cheers

You're so right. I wouldn't dare take on a person so wise, humble, expert both in life and flight sims, and so charming. I mean it's not like you gave yourself a name of 360noScopEPwnMaztr or something...lol that would just be arrogant.

I'm glad the problem that was so perplexing to someone at your level and persisted to the extent of needing to make a forum post and that literally nobody has ever had before...worked itself out. It would be pretty embarrassing if it was one of the issues that the people who went out of their way to help you had discussed. Then you might have to lie to save face and the people might see right through you. It could get messy.

Cheers

Yeah, because lying is exactly what I’d do. Hence, I invented stories just to post them on these forums, because I have no better use of my time. But hey, when your ass gets handed to you - insinuate dishonesty in your opponent and run.

You need to see the definition of “going out of your way”. And you need to work your sarcasm muscle - it can barely lift an ounce of my previous message.

Props for that “graceful” exit, as graceful as a rhino in a small china porcelain store. Maybe try to use methods other than “haha funny name” to bring your point across before you get your own medicine given back to you after which point you promptly retreat. Also, try to think less of other people’s opinions, even if that’s a crowd, because following the voice of the crowd is unhealthy to say the least. That’s how they used to justify public executions of scientists in the West way back, maybe it’s in your genes?... But I digress.

P.S. maybe before writing passive-aggressive replies, try to read the whole post? That could save you some embarrassment.

Cheers.

Edited by Cunning_Fox