Stop building from following terrain

DrummerNL

Hey guys,

I have made some buildings and helipads for DCS, the problem I have with them is that unlike the DCS buildings, they follow the slope of the terrain. This poses a problem for my helipads as they need to be completely horizontal.

I know it can be done as, for example, you place the "supermarket" by ED from the static objects in the mission editor on a hill, and it will stay horizontal and not follow the slope of the terrain.

Anyone who can help me out with this?

Ok, I think I figured out how it's done using the old and non prefered method of editing the StrucTable file. Buildings have a line of code there to set it's allowed positioning:

positioning = "ONLYHEIGTH";

Is there any way to implement this into the new way of modding? e.g. Implement it in the lua file below?

--SlopePad

mount_vfs_model_path	(current_mod_path.."/Shapes")
mount_vfs_texture_path  (current_mod_path.."/Textures")

GT = {};
set_recursive_metatable(GT, GT_t.generic_stationary)
set_recursive_metatable(GT.chassis, GT_t.CH_t.STATIC);
GT.chassis.life = 1500

GT.visual.shape = "HG_SlopePad.EDM"
GT.visual.shape_dstr = "HG_SlopePad.EDM" --(no destructed model yet)

--Burning after hit
GT.visual.fire_size = 1 --relative burning size
GT.visual.fire_pos = {0,0,0};
GT.visual.fire_time = 30; --burning time (seconds)
GT.time_agony = 180;

--Name Stuff
GT.Name = "HG_SlopePad"
GT.DisplayName = _("HG_Slope Helipad")
GT.Rate = 1

GT.DetectionRange  = 0;
GT.ThreatRange = 0;
GT.mapclasskey = "P0091000076";
GT.attribute = {wsType_Ground,wsType_Tank,wsType_Gun,wsType_GenericFort,"Fortifications",};
GT.category = "Fortification";

add_surface_unit(GT)

How are you exporting it??

If it's through the file > export then yes it will.

If you use the pop up exporter then there's 3 options to use.

on ma mobile

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

How are you exporting it??

If it's through the file > export then yes it will.

If you use the pop up exporter then there's 3 options to use.

on ma mobile

I've been using file > export, but I will try using the pop-up exporter. Assuming that is the EDModelTool exporter in 3ds max. What are the options, which ones to set and where do I find those options?

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!

This is the options screen of the EDM export toolbar:

exporter.png

I'm guessing I need the export space option which seems to be missing in my exporter.

I use release 17679 because that was what seems to be recommended... Is there a newer version I should try or is this something that was taken out in newer versions?

Edited by DrummerNL

Ok, I think I figured out how it's done using the old and non prefered method of editing the StrucTable file. Buildings have a line of code there to set it's allowed positioning:
positioning = "ONLYHEIGTH";

Is there any way to implement this into the new way of modding? e.g. Implement it in the lua file below?

--SlopePad

GT = {};
GT.chassis.life = 1500

--Burning after hit
GT.time_agony = 180;

--Name Stuff
GT.Name = "HG_SlopePad"
GT.Rate = 1

GT.DetectionRange  = 0;
GT.ThreatRange = 0;
GT.attribute = {wsType_Ground,wsType_Tank,wsType_Gun,wsType_GenericFort,"Fortifications",};

add_surface_unit(GT)

GT.positioning = VALUE	
Available: {"BYNORMAL", "ONLYHEIGTH", "BY_XZ", "ADD_HEIGTH"}

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I'm either doing it wrong or it simply does not work. :(

This is what I did and I see no difference. Am I doing it wrong?

--SlopePad

GT = {};
GT.chassis.life = 1500

--Burning after hit
GT.time_agony = 180;

--Name Stuff
GT.Name = "HG_SlopePad"
GT.Rate = 1

GT.DetectionRange  = 0;
GT.ThreatRange = 0;
GT.positioning = "ONLYHEIGTH";            
add_surface_unit(GT)

Edited by DrummerNL

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks to the help of SkateZilla and SVKSniper I got some more understanding of the lua files.

Here's the result :)

Thanks guys!

slopepad_ingame.png

Hey!

can we have any infos how did you fix that and make it work? :smartass:

Thank You :)

Member of the Virtual Patrouille Suisse Since 2010. High and slow, fast and low.

Intel i9-12900k | 64GB RAM | RTX4090 | HP Rerverb G2 | T-50CM3 Base | WinWing Set

• 2 months later...

would also be really interested in this fix for transforming some old static mods so they are savedgames compatible.

Louis|Dancer, foundation member of the digital Swiss Air Force, a group of enthusiasts trying to imitate everything that has to do with Swiss military aviation on dcs. If you want to join us, contact us via instagram.

our youtube chanel:dSAF

our instagram:dSAF

my rusty pc: msi gtx1080ti / ryzen 5 2600x / ga-ab350 gaming motherboard / 16gb ram / rift cv1 / warthog

Nice work Dan, looks like a good addition for interact-able objects in DCS World. :thumbup:

Thanks, work on this has been on the backburner for a bit due to my crazy times at work and figuring out some stuff to make AI interact with landingpads as well. Only last week I figured out how to make AI helicopters spawn and land on my pads. I shared this technique with Joe_Rowe who's making some awesome landingpads and heliports himself.

In return he showed me how to add some cool functioning lights that will be part of some of my helipads now.

I have to export all my pads and ports again with the newly found technique to get AI to use them and the ability to actually spawn on them. I'll try to find some time this week to finish that up and upload the first version of the mod.

I'll also try to make an illustrated guide as to how to make helipads and other objects to stay horizontaly aligned, make them landable by AI (or set landing waypoints for players) and the ability to spawn on them. I will post that guide here on the forums.

So far my mod includes not only helipads (regular rooftop pads you can place on existing buildings, slopepads, portable pads, logging pads etc) but also some other objects to create some cool helicopter focused scenrios, like a pier that will stretch out over water (makes for some challenging landings as well), tents and campsites, liferafts, downed pilot and more.

HP_LoggingPad2.png

Edited by DrummerNL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Thanks, work on this has been on the backburner for a bit due to my crazy times at work and figuring out some stuff to make AI interact with landingpads as well. Only last week I figured out how to make AI helicopters spawn and land on my pads. I shared this technique with Joe_Rowe who's making some awesome landingpads and heliports himself.

In return he showed me how to add some cool functioning lights that will be part of some of my helipads now.

I have to export all my pads and ports again with the newly found technique to get AI to use them and the ability to actually spawn on them. I'll try to find some time this week to finish that up and upload the first version of the mod.

I'll also try to make an illustrated guide as to how to make helipads and other objects to stay horizontaly aligned, make them landable by AI (or set landing waypoints for players) and the ability to spawn on them. I will post that guide here on the forums.

So far my mod includes not only helipads (regular rooftop pads you can place on existing buildings, slopepads, portable pads, logging pads etc) but also some other objects to create some cool helicopter focused scenrios, like a pier that will stretch out over water (makes for some challenging landings as well), tents and campsites, liferafts, downed pilot and more.

HP_LoggingPad2.png

Can you please, please pretty please with cherry and sugar cream on top please, tell us how to fix this?! I am sure it will not only help introduce a couple helipads, but a ton of interesing buildings, towers, single trees, anything, if the best kept secret of DCS could be finally revealed... ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)