Do you also feel this is a problem when learning the BS2 ?

jfri

Holton181, When I say decent rate in level forward flight, I mean, I have the collective down as far as it will go and only able to decend at no more than 600fpm unless I nose down.

No, I am not trying to fly this like a plane, totally different worlds if not universes there.

Say for instance, I am flying over a mountain ridge @ 4000ft. My ingress point is just over 10miles away and @ 500ft. I push the collective all the way down and I can only attain 600fpm. To get down to a safe ALT so I am not detected before running in. To get that low before reaching the safe ALT I have to nose down to lose ALT fast.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mb:ROG Strix GL10DH

CPU:AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.6GHz SSD: Toshiba 1tb & Intel 1tb

RAM:CORSAIR - VENGEANCE LPX Series 16GB 3.0GHz DDR4

GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER

Monitor: 40" UHD 4k TV

I generally never think about my decent rate during that kind of scenarios you describe, but sometimes my decent angle; slower forward speed with same collective configuration. So I need to test it when I get the time to see what decent rates I can get. I do decent nose down sometimes though, when dodging incoming.

But it does sound like a low number with 600fpm. Maybe it's due to the game mode, I never fly with it.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Indeed the low decent rate are due to game mode. I tested and got around 3~4m/s (600~800fpm) in game mode, while in sim mode I easily got around 16m/s (3150fpm), forward speed around 220km/h (136mph). Everything exept avionics and flight model the same.

Have you read Chuck's DCS guides? Well worth it, just do a search.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

The language spoken on the radio is defined by the nation your craft belongs to, so you could edit your mission and change the nation to something else than Russian. Try all that are on your side, as reassigning nations to sides is a bit of work.

Yes, I found out the hard way that the collective does indeed work differently in Sim mode. I darn near got sick just before I died :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU:AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.6GHz SSD: Toshiba 1tb & Intel 1tb

First, Imacken and Frederf, I know how to trim the Ka-50, it's just getting it in that sweet spot.

Yeah, it's pretty difficult. The control input to make the change and the input to maintain are always different and there's that confused hold and stick position issue that happens. You have to be pretty forceful to get a positive transition to hover. Grab it by the throat and make untimid inputs. I have a problem of getting excited about what I'm going to do after the maneuver too early, like shoot a missile, and don't focus on the maneuver to completion first.

I have the Trim set to Toggle Switch 3 and Trim Reset set to Toggle Switch 4.
I strongly recommend not using trim reset in any way. Maybe after landing to rearm but in that case it's better to bring up the controls indicator (or look at the stick physically) and put it there manually.

Something else I was wondering about. When in Game Mode and descending, what is the maximum decent rate I can attain in level forward flight? Unless I nose down, the most I get is right at 600fpm or 600mpm. I have everything set to imperial units, so I would think it would be FPM. The reason I ask this, I was in FSX and my throttle would not go all the way down to idle. Even in BS2 when sitting at the FARP the Ka-50 seems very light and the slightest movement of the stick makes me move in that direction. Another thing I noticed, when calibrating the throttle, the lower rotary at my thumb (G) is WAY off center. When I twist it to the indention the indicator on the calibration tool only goes to 35 instead of 50 out of 100. I'm just hoping this is something I can adjust and not my H.O.T.A.S. being borked up, I mean I just got it.

So many things I need to ask I can't think of all of them right now, but these are the ones that are most pressing for me at this moment.

I don't know about game mode but the Shark should exceed -10m/s easily. You don't want to exceed -3 to -5 at very low transnational speeds due to VRS but outside of that you can really drop like a rock. Maybe the game mode limits you as a way of insuring against VRS. There is a lower rotor RPM governing switch for descents but it doesn't seem to be useful except for increasing the number of hours before engine overhaul. I've never come up against a situation where I was threatening rotor over speed.

Get your throttle checked out. Of course it should give the full output range. DCS "axis tuning" can take even a broken partial axis output range and map it to the full game input if it comes to that. Make sure you're doing collective as the lift control and not the throttle. I don't think you're making that mistake but people have in the past. Throttles should be maximum just under the emergency position (auto governed) during all normal flight.

Poor maneuverability is associated with the altitude hold channel. Be aware that it gets set on automatically when entering auto hover and doesn't come off when leaving auto hover. Whenever you're using the altitude hold channel (and really at all times) get in the habit of squeezing the collective brake every time you move the collective lever. The brake is the trim button for the collective.

Taxi in the Shark is ~5% collective and rather small cyclic inputs. It should feel quite light. Don't place any importance on the 0,0 cyclic position (another reason why trim reset is useless). Trim for taxi, hover, etc. has little to do with where 0,0 is.

• Like 1

Trim Reset is something you should not use without extra caution, I myself never use it, I dont have it programmed to my Hotas at all. If you do so, prepare to break the bird apart or at least go VERY wild for a few seconds.

Game mode...dunno, never tried that, I fly DCS cause it is hard and not because it's supposed to be easy ;)

Descent rate, or in your case NOE with a steep slope down that you want to follow:

When I take the Ka-50 out for attacking a target on BF it is usually across a few ridges, along a vally and so on. When you are targeted by F-15C you better fly LOW, I mean LOW as in L O W ! The IR missiles will likely not get you by 75% chance if you fly between 2-10m height.

When I need to dive STEEP I lower collective all the way, push the nose down as far as needed and follow the terrain, no excuse and no exception, you never know ( HELLO GCI ! )

when the F-15C is circling above you looking for you. By far it is not enough just to lower collective to its minimum position, that is usually not enough to fly NOE with slopes ( Nap of Earth = NOE ). GENTLY work the collective, dont do it abruptly, apply collective early enough to not cause your Shkval to fade out ;) If you SHkval fades out you wanted too much too fast, that's a good indicator if you overdid it..aka not smooth enough.

Forget Game Mode pal, fly proper !

:joystick: Friends don't let Friends fly Game Mode :pilotfly:

Edited by BitMaster
  • Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Also, don't fear looking foolish in MP. This isn't Call of Duty and the community for the most part is nurturing and compassionate (mostly don't discuss sexual escapades with your mother). The vast majority are smart adults who want to help you fly well. Start on a PvE server like Through the Inferno where you will have lots of space to learn and make mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Also, don't fear looking foolish in MP. This isn't Call of Duty and the community for the most part is nurturing and compassionate (mostly don't discuss sexual escapades with your mother). The vast majority are smart adults who want to help you fly well. Start on a PvE server like Through the Inferno where you will have lots of space to learn and make mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 to this

90% of my DCS experience came from multiplayer. I rarely if ever go Single player... Usually just to test out some stuff.

With regards to learning aircraft; I've usually have some sort of mentor to teach me the ways. That's how I learned the Ka-50. I barely read any manuals or watched any tutorial videos. With another person teaching me the ropes.

With that in mind; I'm quite sure we're from different and inconvenient time zones. But if chance permits it. I can help you with the Ka-50.

I see it as my way of giving back to the community. :) Guess it's now my turn to teach eh ?

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and support. I have not been back in Game Mode since my last post and I'm already able to get it in an almost perfect hover. I never wanted to fly in game mode, but my schedule never allowed me the time to practice in Sim Mode and all I wanted to do was just fly and blow stuff up. But now I think I have the will to learn it more indepth.

I'll soon start joining multiplayer and would love to see you guys in there.

Blue Skies and Smooth Landings

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lazer, come check us out, we are a co-op type squad that only fly the choppers. We have real chopper pilots to help train on any chopper plus one of the helicopter Dev's in the group too. East coast time zone. Come have a flight or two and see what you think.

Click my sig for the link.

BSD Discord , BSD Website

If it doesn't hover, it just sucks and blows

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

• 1 month later...

Jafferson I definitely do agree. Personally I use Devrim´s blue variant based on Ricardo. https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1766778/

Not tried the shkval mod....guess it does not pass integrity check?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]my rig specs: i7-4790K CPU 4.50GHz, 32GB RAM, 64bit WIN10, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, SSD+

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50, F18C, DCS 2.5x OB

Dont worry, integrity check is ok :thumbup:

Good to hear.

So I tried to activate it using JSGME but no joy. Shkval still w/o colour.

The threads concerning this mod are a bit outdated and I assume that the culprit is a different folder structure in the latest build of 1.5 beta.

Do you use it with latest Caucasus Beta and with JSGME or did you copy it directly into the correspondent folders (which I do not prefer because they get erased with every update? Hope it´s not an issue with Devrim´s Blue cockpit....

if you have any ideas let me know.

EDIT - issue solved: as I am using Devrim´s Blue cockpit the 4 files for the shkval mod have to be copied into Devrim´s KA 50 cockpit folder by overwriting the old files there (and not elsewhere in DCS). As Devrim´s Blue CP is already a mod there´s no need to put the Toby thingy itself into JSGME. Same with dirty windows if someone likes that (but it´s a sign of good airmanship to clean windows before flight - makes detecting oncoming missiles a lot easier).

Checked, worked, no issues and MP integrity check positive :-))))

And by the the way....the far most realistic sound mod in my opinion (works easy with JSGME) is Isegrim´s..... https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=93588

Never again fly without

[url=https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=93588][/url]

Edited by docWilly
Found the solution

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]my rig specs: i7-4790K CPU 4.50GHz, 32GB RAM, 64bit WIN10, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, SSD+

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50, F18C, DCS 2.5x OB

Jafferson I definitely do agree. Personally I use Devrim´s blue variant based on Ricardo. https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1766778/

Not tried the shkval mod....guess it does not pass integrity check?

I really wanted the Devrim blue variant. But I like the look of the gauges on Ricardo's. Easier to see.

Wish there was some way I can combine the two...

And while I'm at it... a way to get Russian betty but still have the avionics and cockpit in English.

The Devrim blue is superb, it just opens up that tight closed in and dark oppressive work space in the KA-50!

It creates a feeling of well being and oneness when comparing the contrasts of the operating work place and ones environmental surroundings.

It simply allows a relaxed and speedy prosecution of death whilst promoting a sense of well being and achievement in the pilots mind.

What is not to like!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

It should be straight forward. PM me the 2 links you use and I can do it for you if you wish..

Thank you for the offer.

Blue cockpit

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=97425

Black cockpit

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/602834/

As a recap; I want the gauges from the Black Cockpit integrated into the Blue cockpit.

Cheers

The blue cockpit link is not working... original files probably removed..

If you have the files throw them into a google drive or something and fire me the link...

Incidentally Black Shark 2 Ricardo's HD Blue Cockpit is available with a similar blue colour and the same clocks... https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1766778/ but no matter if you want the other 2 combined...

SIGBLOCK.png

No; if you look closely at the vertical speed indicator. The gauge has that green ribbon that indicates safe descent below 50kph.

The blue cockpit does not have that.

You can use the Ricardo's Blue Cockpit Mod instead and mate it with the gauges from the Ricardo's Black Cockpit Mod (yes that almost sounded wrong lol)