P-51 Turning?

BuzzU

annoyed.gif which only proves that if the 109 pilot lets you, anybody can out-turn an 109.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

For those who think the K4 out turns the P-51?

Have you watched this?

:lol::lol::lol: This is AI, you can clearly see the pattern of flying and the stuttering of the plane just before he got shot

so well done, he beat an AI 109 with idk what skill level...

very unlikely to see this in mp against a human

(even stated in the comments)

Edited by razo+r

If you know what you're doing its possible to out turn a K4 at any airspeed in the Mustang (including online). At least half of my Mustang victories for April were out turning K4's at airspeeds around 200 Mph IAS.

It mostly depends on the P-51's fuel state. If you artificially remove fuel from the wing tanks before takeoff the P-51 turns very well.

But with the 109's climb and acceleration it should still kick the P-51's ass 1 on 1.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

It mostly depends on the P-51's fuel state. If you artificially remove fuel from the wing tanks before takeoff the P-51 turns very well.

My standard mission fuel quantity when flying online (Burning Skies) is 135 Gallons. It all depends on the pilot.

Edited by Cripes'A'Mighty

:lol::lol::lol: This is AI, you can clearly see the pattern of flying and the stuttering of the plane just before he got shot

so well done, he beat an AI 109 with idk what skill level...

very unlikely to see this in mp against a human

(even stated in the comments)

You're missing the whole point of the video.

I know what the comments said and I know it was an easy AI.

Buzz

The point of the video is to show how to fight a 109 in a perfect world where the enemy always use the same flying pattern, no real evasive maneuver. with those things, a human can outturn it of course as is it possible for a human player outturning a human 109 under certain conditions

You're missing the whole point of the video.

I know what the comments said and I know it was an easy AI.

Please clarify the "point". Cause, I missed it.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

The point being the P-51 doesn't turn as bad as most claim. I'm the last one that would ever turn fight any plane. Even if was the best one to do it in.

I keep reading how good the K4 is even out turning the Mustang. It does, but maybe not in turning. Of course, no two good human pilots would fight like the video. Call it a turning test.

Buzz

The point being the P-51 doesn't turn as bad as most claim. I'm the last one that would ever turn fight any plane. Even if was the best one to do it in.

I keep reading how good the K4 is even out turning the Mustang. It is, but maybe not in turning. Of course, no two good human pilots would fight like the video. Call it a turning test.

Buzz

If I would do a turning test, then not against an AI who isn't even using the correct FM...

And as said, there are conditions where the Mustang outturns the 109, but also some conditions where it gets outmaneuvered by the 109

My standard mission fuel quantity when flying online (Burning Skies) is 135 Gallons. It all depends on the pilot.

That's about 32% assuming 419 gallons max internal fuel.

It all depends on the pilot, indeed! :music_whistling:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

If I would do a turning test, then not against an AI who isn't even using the correct FM...

And as said, there are conditions where the Mustang outturns the 109, but also some conditions where it gets outmaneuvered by the 109

I'd bet anything some guys are getting out turned by easy AI K4's.

The video shows they shouldn't be.

Buzz

That's about 32% assuming 419 gallons max internal fuel.

It all depends on the pilot, indeed! :music_whistling:

419 gallons internal fuel? I'm not sure what the hell kind of P-51D you're flying.

77d1ea2cbdcca9dd550e8f2ad8c6a4f0.png

92+92+85 = 269

135/269 = 50%, which is comparable to the fuel they would have had in the A/C while engaged over the low countries/NW Germany while operating from England. Min Fuel for missions to Berlin was approx 160 Gallons. I think 135 Gallons is reasonable when the two airfields on Burning Skies are only 25 Miles apart. Thats not even considering that nearly all the top Luftwaffe pilots de-fuel to 70% (which I dont have a problem with, its realistic along the same lines as de-fueling the Mustang).

Edited by Cripes'A'Mighty

In that video the AI was set to high if I remember correctly. (Not 100% sure but I usually don't mess with the AI setting much)

I think I had the regular amount of fuel that is default in the mustang, which is full wing tanks.

Edited by The Black Swan

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

In that video the AI was set to high if I remember correctly. (Not 100% sure but I usually don't mess with the AI setting much)

I think I had the regular amount of fuel that is default in the mustang, which is full wing tanks.

Glad you found this. Ever get away with that online?

Buzz

I must have looked at the wrong figure! Next time just tell me the %, please.

Glad you found this. Ever get away with that online?

Lol no...

The only decent hits I've gotten on 109s were when i joined a fight that was already happening.

That being said, I haven't done a ton of flying online in the mustang.

I do however, think I found a sweet spot for turning in the vid because the AI had been out turning me before...

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

I must have looked at the wrong figure! Next time just tell me the %, please.

P-38J & L each had ~420 gal. internal; that's where you got that number.

I may be partly to blame for your error; because my expertise was in P-38 and not P-51, I've several times used the P-38's fuel figures to demonstrate points about percentages, range, etc., during discussions on the P-51 (the fuel capacity of which I don't have memorized).

Edit: I meant that I'd used the P-38 and its fuel figures as examples in those discussions, not that I incorrectly gave P-38 figures for the P-51 during those discussion.

Edited by Echo38