DCS FC3 Questions & Answers Thread

Milene

You guys don't remember 1.2.16 then. :D

Didn't they make FLOOD just a lock tone only now? That's what it should be, at least. It's HRPF STT without the "Single Target" or "Track". Edit: It used to be the funniest troll weapon ever when it gave a launch warning.

Lord of Salt

Because it's the same signal that would be used to guide the missile if the radar was properly locked on.

The intensity is actually quite a bit less than that of the radar itself (the FLOOD horn is a separate emitter)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Because it's the same signal that would be used to guide the missile if the radar was properly locked on.

The intensity is actually quite a bit less than that of the radar itself (the FLOOD horn is a separate emitter)

I see thank you

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really good at using all of the F15's systems and I have a pretty good understanding of how radars and missiles work. If you were to give me a pen-and-paper test on it, I think I'd do well.

However, all the knowledge I have is pretty useless as I have little experience in-game and have trouble applying the concepts I've studied to actual in-game combat. I ALWAYS get shot down quickly, no matter how hard I try

Any tips for me to get better?

Edit: do you guys think my bad performance may be due to the fact that I do not have a track IR and use an old Logitech 3D Pro?

Edited by MRaza

no, this is your problem.

I just need more experience?

Edit: well that's not entirely true. I have plenty of experience against AI and non maneuvering targets but not against real people and SAMs

Edited by MRaza

and you need to be perceptive and resourceful, because air combat doesn't accept standardized test answers.

Yeah I understand that a dogfight is a dynamic environment and not a chess game, but I just suck

"i just suck" doesnt mean anything, if you actually want to improve you need to figure out what exactly you're failing at.

for most its a lack of situational awareness.

I honestly think that's it because I have to use my hat to look around

i personally disagree because i myself was a hatter for over a year, and i know several great pilots who are hatters too. trackir didn't magically improve my sa, it just made it easier to keep eyes on things that i already knew were there. it doesnt help you find things that you wouldnt have otherwise noticed, nor does it give you eyes on the back of your head -- plenty of trackir users still stare through their hud all the time and get waxed by passive attacks.

trackir is nice and definitely makes the experience more enjoyable and you should get it, but it's got nothing to do with being a smart pilot.

Edited by probad

It is a chess game. The difference is that there is a lot more information that you have to process and the board is not necessarily fully visible.

Like probad said, the number one way to figure out what's going on (especially since you are claiming mastery), is to start doing analysis. Tacview helps.

Yeah I understand that a dogfight is a dynamic environment and not a chess game, but I just suck

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I'm really good at using all of the F15's systems and I have a pretty good understanding of how radars and missiles work. If you were to give me a pen-and-paper test on it, I think I'd do well.

However, all the knowledge I have is pretty useless as I have little experience in-game and have trouble applying the concepts I've studied to actual in-game combat. I ALWAYS get shot down quickly, no matter how hard I try

Edit: do you guys think my bad performance may be due to the fact that I do not have a track IR and use an old Logitech 3D Pro?

You need more experience.

And test all the options to the fullest.

But the most important things i noticed is:

1. Bad SA. They don't know what's going on, they don't know the capability's and tactics of other planes. They don't expect the worst.. Always expect the worst. Always expect the guy you are fighting is a ACE. Learn how to anticipate moves.

2. Launch speed. If you can launch from Mach 1.1 or above.

3. React immediately to any threat.

4. Wait for pitbull and run. Don't look if your target is going to be hit. i love to watch my target explode adn confirm the kill visually. But this is what gets me killed a lot.

5. Prepare your attack. Start already cranking. Get good speed. Get proper altitude.

6. Use your radar to the fullest. Keep scanning up, down, left, right, far, close. Work your radar and remember that information and try to anticipate what their next move will be. But not everything is black and white... So they might do something totally different then you expect.

7. Always check speed of target and what plane you are fighting, so you can anticipate what weapons he is going to launch.

8. When fighting SU-27 or MIG-29 always expect ET shot.

9. Grind your tactics so you know what go's wrong when and why. Tacview will help with that. If you don't use tacview you might be practicing for 8 years like me. The only advantage of that is that you will be able to stand your ground in many planes at the end (somewhat). Even when you fight your F-5, A-10, SU-25T or any other old plane against Flankers or F-15.

10. Never give up. And always try to fight better opponents.

11. If you master these things you can make people fool into thinking you are a noob and they will be careless. But even that they start to figure out now because i'll blab all my tactics.

EDIT: What gets me killed is my cockiness and not knowing the exact numbers and a shitty computer. I fly on experience. I don't fly on exact knowledge of the plane. Some people now all the limits and advantages ( they are hard to kill but they stop thinking out of the box at one point so still defeatable). I don't fly on procedures and i will fight a 5 ship. Not really smart.. But aggressive smart and intimidating helps when you et the experience. Also i know how to break SA and how to disrupt people's thought process.

Edited by winchesterdelta1

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

The only thing I would add to Winchesterdelta's above contribution is start being involved in the community. If you want to increase you player vs. player success - then get on the servers, get on the TS, and participate. IMHO this is one of the best online communities around. You've already taken a big step by reaching out on the forums...and look what happened; you have great advise and knowledge being offered up by some of the best around.

Ask for help. Ask for explanations if you don't understand. Research here, google, youtube, and don't be scared to be "new". Every single person you will meet started in the same place with many of the same frustrations.

Set goals. WinDelta talked about the grind; the sim has a steep learning curve. Virtual pilots here are doing stuff within the hour of their first time in the sim that would take a real pilot years to get too. So set those basic goals and keep adding to your tools. As with anything, there's no substitute for a good set of properly executed basics. Oh and have fun.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/JINX1391/jinx%20f99th%20sig_zps2hgu4xsl.png[/sIGPIC]

"90% of the people who actually got to fly the F/A-18C

module there (E3 2017) have never even heard of DCS

or are otherwise totally undeserving pieces of trash."

-Pyromanic4002

Well guys I've been practicing with the F15 and I think I've improved. Got 3 kills today in quick succession before dying. Yesterday I got 2 kills and was RTBing but crashed as I was taking a bite of cheesecake :lol::doh:

How long are your guys's flights, on average?

Hey all,

Does anyone know the CL Max AOA for the FC3 F-15? We clearly have the ability to pull excessive AOA in game, but in order to max perform the jet we need that number. Is it listed anywhere? My guess is somewhere in the 28-30 region.

Thanks!

Leroy

Sorry for the late reply. By using the STR charts in the manual, you'll get CL of about ~1.75 give or take. As for the AoA, i haven't flight tested the ingame FM into that much detail but, you should be able to pull this at around 40 degrees (true) alpha. I have no idea how much units that is (never bothered to look up the conversion formula).

Hope it helps!

Cheers mate :pilotfly:

It is a chess game. The difference is that there is a lot more information that you have to process and the board is not necessarily fully visible.

Perhaps one way in which it isn't a chess game is that unlike chess, all sides act simultaneously, thus winning the initiative is a bit trickier.

Edited by captain_dalan

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Perhaps one way in which it isn't a chess game is that unlike chess, all sides act simultaneously, thus winning the initiative is a bit trickier.

I guess it depends on which chess you're playing, if it's just responsive childlike chess then ok but real chess is played out in the head. Just as in BFM you're trying to predict what your opponent is doing long game and responding with your own long game to create problems for him. In one turn you may think you've won the initiative but you may actually be playing into his hands.

Also in both contests just one mistake should leave your opponent to capitalise to the end game, depending on the severity of the mistake this can be immediately or several actions later providing you read the situation. So yes I believe BFM is very muck like chess.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

I guess it depends on which chess you're playing, if it's just responsive childlike chess then ok but real chess is played out in the head. Just as in BFM you're trying to predict what your opponent is doing long game and responding with your own long game to create problems for him. In one turn you may think you've won the initiative but you may actually be playing into his hands.

Also in both contests just one mistake should leave your opponent to capitalise to the end game, depending on the severity of the mistake this can be immediately or several actions later providing you read the situation. So yes I believe BFM is very muck like chess.

That is true, however it's not what i had in mind. In chess white is always given the first move, thus automatically winning the initiative, at least in the first several moves. Also, unlike chess that always makes you have your "turn" to make your move, BFM doesn't give you the same luxury. Think of a boxing match, the other guy gives you a jab.....you are not by default given your chance to strike back, you have to grab it yourself.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

• 2 weeks later...

When I'm flying, I like to stay low so that if I get fired upon I can notch or maybe duck behind a mountain. But how does one defeat a missile if they are at a high altitude and are fired at from below?

When I'm flying, I like to stay low so that if I get fired upon I can notch or maybe duck behind a mountain. But how does one defeat a missile if they are at a high altitude and are fired at from below?

Depends on the range to the launch aircraft. If you're just inside the enemy Rmax then it's fairly straightforward to simply turn away which will kinematically defeat the launched missile. Inside Rtr it's a different matter. The usual response is to put the missile on the beam (your 3-9 line), descend as fast as possible, increase speed, release countermeasures and if you can see the missile coming carry out a last second maximum ITR turn.

It's much easier to defeat a SAM: you need to place the computed intercept point for the missile at below ground level so that the SAM will crash in to the ground before getting to you. If you're at high altitude this normally requires a maximum effort dive. The longer you have to do this the better, so in this instance defeating a Patriot or S-300 can actually be easier than defeating an SA-11 or similar.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

I don't think he is talking about a SAM but A-A where the shooter is low and he is high.

My take is: Stay fast enough to have enough IAS for maneuvers. For me that means around 450 IAS. Don't be too high on the guy you are engaging. IIRC i read somewhere that you should keep the altitude difference proportional to the distance of the bandit. If he is 20NM out you should be 20K feet higher, no more, no less. That way the bandit will be around 10° below the horizon.

Never go in a stright line towards the bandit. That will give the bandit an optimal firing solution and might turn your advantage into a disadvantage.

Of course this is only helpful if you see the bandit. If you are surprised then dump a lot of chaff and maneuver away from the threat while you pick up speed and head for the deck.

It doesn't always work and depends much on the distance between you, but I guess that is why surprising the enemy is the most effective way to win an engagement.

Edited by Svend_Dellepude

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

• 3 weeks later...