How to Keep Engine from Overheating Climbing to Altitude ?

I usually fly 109 to target area in MP, usually "Burning Skies" , down low and fast at 550 kph at 25 revs on the dial. I leave radiator set to auto.

My issue is evading enemy fighters, climbing out to higher altitude and eventually seizing the engine.

I cannot fly leisurely when trying to out distance enemy fighters. And since I mostly kill ground targets, I am usually out of ammo when jumped.

So how do you guys manage your 109's engine in this environment?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I usually fly 109 to target area in MP, usually "Burning Skies" , down low and fast at 550 kph at 25 revs on the dial. I leave radiator set to auto.

My issue is evading enemy fighters, climbing out to higher altitude and eventually seizing the engine.

I cannot fly leisurely when trying to out distance enemy fighters. And since I mostly kill ground targets, I am usually out of ammo when jumped.

Keep the prop pitch in auto mode, as the flaps and just climb with enough speed to cool your engine

I personally do not set power by the rpm indicator. I go by the manifold pressure. Max continuous power (with radiator in auto) is between 1.25 and 1.35 ata. This should give you around 2300-2400 rpm as long as the auto prop pitch is still working.

Whenever I know I'm going to be using full power with the mw-50 injection a bunch, I will just fully open the radiator.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

29 October 2009

CGNR-1705 / USMC Cobra

Semper Memoria, Semper Vigilens

If you're going to concentrate on ground targets you need a couple of wingmen to protect you. Then get out of Dodge.

Buzz

I find the 109k to be a "monster" climber! Just keep your ata 1.30, and maintain your climb rate at a level where your speed in the climb is sufficiently high to cool the engine.

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.