If you could have one WW2 fighter module not yet implemented, what would it be?

MobiSev

On 11/21/2022 at 4:20 AM, Gambit21 said:

A6M2 Model 21 Zero, PO1c Takeshi Hirano, Akagi, Pearl Harbor, 7 décembre  1941 - Bravo Bravo Aviation

Nah dude ... I get why you want it, but it will be a sitting duck against the Corsair. The period accurate counterpart would be the Ki-84 Hayate.

Also, I'd rather they flesh out the ETO a bit more with at least 1 twin engine German aircraft. A Ju88 would be most appropriate given the time period. Bf-110 were almost all converted to night fighters by then, same for Me-410. The PTO will take a lot of time to flesh out, if they're just going to have the Corsair.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Simps.NL said:

Nah dude ... I get why you want it, but it will be a sitting duck against the Corsair.

Not as much as you might think...I don't anticipate any problems based on past experience. 😉

I find that in actual practice most human pilots can be sucked into a knife-fight.

I want them all. 🙂

Edited by Gambit21
  • Like 1

Hurricane MkI and MkII

Earlier variants of what we already have so we don't have the chronological mess that is the current state of DCS WW2. A G6 or G10 instead of the K4 that only outfitted 25% of frontline units is a no-brainer. 

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since we get a WW2 Marianas, Corsair and Hellcat I think an A6M5 Type 0 Model 52 would be very nice to have.

Other than that I think a new module should have something novel about it. 

Me262 A-1a : Jet engines, 4x 30mm cannons. Unrivaled fire power and speed.

Spitfire Mk XIV with E-type wing and bubble canopy: Griffon engine, .50 cal and bubble canopy to make it distinctively different from the MkIX.

P-38L: Medium size twin engine fighterbomber which would be historically appropriate for both theaters.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of Japanese birds would be nice to have now that we are going to have two USA Pacific birds.

But what I want the most of early to mid war birds.

I'd love Spitfire I/II, Hurricane, and Bf-109E-4 or maybe E-7. Latter would also be a nice playmate with the I-16 we have. I'd also love F or up to G-2/G-4ish 109s. G-6 I personally have zero interest in.

I'd also love some more twin engine multipurpose or attack-bombers like our Mosquito. Bf-110s, B-25s, A-26, Pe-2 etc. And maybe a dive bomber or two like a Stuka, Val, SBD etc.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Well, we're getting the La-7 and Corsair, and I like most of what you all want.  So I would like to see a P-40E Warhawk or the best variant of the P-40 for DCS World

X570S AORUS PRO AX MOTHERBOARD, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-core Processor, GIGABYTE GEFORCE RTX 3090 TI, 64GB DDR4(Corsair Vengeance LPX), DARK ROCK PRO 4 250W TDP Heatsink, Corsair AX1600i Power Supply,  2TB SSD, Windows 10 64 Bit  VR: HP Reverb G2, VIRPIL: VPC Constellation ALPHA Prim[R], VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 2:22 PM, lonegun said:

Hawker typhoon 1b

From a British point of view Tempest V and Typhoon would be absolutely fantastic. Detail about the Sabre seems scant though, Nick Grey also mentioned this being a problem suggesting a Centaurus Tempest II was more likely. I assume ED would have to commit to wind tunnel CFD work also as they did with the P47. The Spit XIV would be good also, and probably far more likely.

I still think early war provides the most balanced match ups. Hopefully ED will announce their BoB project, maybe we could have the BoF also.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 9:52 PM, Black_Dynamite said:

P-61 Black Widow. Systems simulation is one of DCS' strong points. It would be a war bird with a cool radar. Would love to do WWII aera night intercepts with first generation radar tech. P-61 can also do ground pounding.

Early night fighters in DCS would be fantastic. Dual crew aircraft with GCI or on-board primitive radar sets would be a unique product in flight simulation.

• Like 2

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

Myself, I'd love to see an A-26 Invader. Fought both in Europe and in Pacific. And in Korea. And in Vietnam. A bunch were even converted to civilian use. Last combat use? Indonesian invasion of East Timor, in late 70s. Carries up to 20 .50cals, 16 of them forward firing. Pretty decent bombload and two turrets operated by a single gunner, using a veritable Rube Goldberg contraption made up of two periscopes. Also rockets, in a fairly typical 5 per wing configuration.

Both A-26B and A-26C could be made, since the only difference was the glass nose. The C had a Norden bombsight, another very interesting thing to have in DCS. The B nose instead had eight or six guns. The rest was more or less the same, and from what I figured, the aircraft weren't modified a whole lot over the years. Turrets were removed in CIA service, but that seems to be it. The A-26A (yes, it came long after B and C) had new engines and tip tanks, but there were only 40 of those, it was a conversion to keep the worn-out warbirds flying for a little longer in Vietnam. The C was also converted to a photorecon RB-26C (by removing all the guns and putting cameras in the bomb bay), could be a nice AI asset, or even flyable, given how limited the changes were. 

Funnily enough, it also had a targeting pod. Sort of. Two of them were modified in Vietnam to test putting a FLIR in the bomb bay, for finding trucks along the Ho Chi Trail. Didn't work out, but the project had success later with B-57s.