Update of the F-5E to the F-5N level?

Kongamato

Update of the F-5E to the F-5N level?  

454 members have voted

1. 1. Update of the F-5E to the F-5N level?

Isn't Garmin NS430 a civil aviation product?

Yes. It´s the kind of equipment you can find in a Cessna 172. But sometimes civilian GPS equipment is mounted in old military jets as a cheap field modification or something, so it´s not totally unrealistic.

Edited by Kongamato

I see secure crypto capable ARC radios . So that would just be simmed as normal DCS radio, albeit with better eye candy. UHF1-UHF2 radio switch on port side of HUD

The center MFD for radar and moving map display. EGI nav similar to A-10C and AV-8B/NA.

The N like Brazil's EM variant can probably carry AIM-9M. I dunno if either can carry AIM-120A/B. Probably not. Perhaps expanded ability to carry more then 2 X AIM-9P5 on outer wing pylons, in addition to wing tips.

Would be nice to have more then a handfull of chaff/flare that F-5E has. Raytheon did develop and market ECM for F-5 family.

If we're hypothetically going the EM route, it's good to note that these variants can carry Python, Derby, and Sidewinder missiles. All extremely capable missiles, and the Derby is a BVR-capable active radar missile based off of the Python. Which it can carry on all pylons.

F-5EM-Python-4725.jpg

Source: https://defense-update.com/20141023_f5tiger.html

This is not the thread to say it. The tread to say it is the one of the NS430. The place where I asked for that integration, by the way. https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=239273

Yeah, but I'm not really convinced the NS430 is going to see integration in future airframes. Which is a shame, really.

Edited by Auditor

I would kill for a Brazilian EM, with refuelling probe, Python, Derby... One can dream, isn't it?

Yeah, one can dream. I would like that version too. But it would be a total overhaul and revamp of the cockpit and the systems of the aircraft, new weapons that doesn´t exist in DCS "universe" and probably there are no data about... I thought the the F-5N was a more obtaineble version.

PS: We already have compressor stalls and flameouts, it's just that the F-5 is incredibly resistant to them in real life. Start at angels 30,000, accelerate as fast as you can then put the nose vertical and wait. You'll very often flame out both engines, which then leads to a relight scramble.

You are right. After several attempts I entered the plane into a inverted flat spin at hight altitude with full afterburner and after a while both engines suffered a flame out. Flame outs are simulated.

Edited by Kongamato

Python 4 and Derby are deadly dangerous to any Gen aircraft. Python5, AFAIK, is only in service with IDF , has basically an expanded no escape zone. Just firing missile within zone is 99% PK. It is too good fr DCS. So is AIM-9X Block II, and R-73M2. There is no evading them , if fired. Flares are no use, they all use combined IR/CCD/UV imaging. I heard of these new flares that also emit in UV band, and have very bright visible to confound CCD. But those are likely to be modeled in DCS for next decade. The supposed bagging of F-16C Blk 50 of PaKAf by InAF Mig-21Bison, was supposedly accomplished with R-73M, and radar that was kissed(upgraded) by ELBIT with Hindustan Aero for InAF. They basically turned a 3rd Gen Mig-21 into 3.75-4 Gen fighter.

The F-5 is my favorite plane to fly. Any other additions or improvements would be welcomed!

The only other thing I want from an F-5 perspective is a T-38C. It would be interesting to see how this could be used in multiplayer as a trainer to get more people into the game and team them to fly combat missions together.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130602210659/http://www.af.mil/information/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=126

Edited by Panthros

The F-5 is my favorite plane to fly. Any other additions or improvements would be welcomed!

The only other thing I want from an F-5 perspective is a T-38C. It would be interesting to see how this could be used in multiplayer as a trainer to get more people into the game and team them to fly combat missions together.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130602210659/http://www.af.mil/information/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=126

Way better the F-5B modernized that some air forces use as trainer. Better performances and the posibility os using weapons as sidewinders, rockets and bombs.

45728f78ed18c091b2aa50d5b5191027.jpg

caza-644x362.jpg

51900708_249181829301583_2368569117880869454_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fiev9-1.fna.fbcdn.net&ig_cache_key=MTk4NzIzMjk3NTMwNTQ1MzY0Mg%3D%3D.2

• 2 months later...

The F-5 is honestly my favorite aircraft in DCS and I spend far more time in it then the F-18 and F-14 combined. You're at a constant disadvantage but the moment you gain even a small advantage you can exploit it to lethal effect. I actually shot down three F-18s over on PG BF the other day using the Tiger for the loss of one F-5 to a SAM site while doing ground attack. I'd pay quite a bit for a new version of the F-5 with all weather capabilities, an upgraded radar, etc. Could also do the Norwegian F-5A's with the ability to launch Penguin anti-ship missiles (passive IR guidance), AGM-12 Bullpup missiles, and I think it could also equip SEAD missiles. Throw in the Aim-9L which was the first all aspect Sidewinder and it'd make for a fantastic fighter-bomber. It would also give us the A variant of the F-5 which would be great for Vietnam servers.

As Norway upgraded their F-5's they added ina active jamming pod. There's also this for if they overhauled the cockpit and it'd allow the Penguin missile.

"A big step forward was the installation, under an USD 20m programme awarded in February 1991, of further new avionics equipment by Sierra Technologies Inc to replicate the F-16 cockpit in use in Norway, including an GEC-Marconi Head-Up Display, GPS navigation system, a colour video data system and HOTAS controls, Litton LN-93 lasser-inrtial navigation system and 1553 databus; the program (called Program for Avionics and Weapon Systems improventes (TIGER-PAWS), involved 7 Northrop F-5A and 8 F-5B(G); started February 1991."

Got a lot of the info from here. http://www.the-northrop-f-5-enthusiast-page.info/AirForces/NorwayAF.html

Yes, I would be interested in an updated F-5. It is one of my favorites, and any additional features would be welcomed.

HOWEVER, I do love the current F-5E for its simplicity. I appreciate having to judge approach angles, speed, wind, and all other variables required to put bombs on target effectively. I think few who fly the F-5 really appreciate the skill required to handle the plane, and most don't like to use it in MP because it's so outclassed by more advanced modules. But that's what those of us fly the F-5 enjoy as well.

Rather than time being spent to update the F-5, I'd rather time be spent developing other modules, i.e. the F-4 Phantom or AH-1.

why not a brazilian tiger with CFT, BVR capabilities and modern cockpit?

I will kill for it... as someone post before.

Salute

Gavilan

The F-5EM would be amazing, but it would effectively amount to a whole new module. The reason I support the F-5N upgrade is it would be minimal work compared to installing a whole new suite of avionics and weapons.

• 2 weeks later...

I would gladly pay for an update to the F-5 IF it included the refueling probe. I have had the F-5 since the first day it came out and really enjoyed flying it but it's legs are too short. And besides, it's the AAR as part of the whole mission that I get a huge kick out of. :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1 , ALL variables will be wellcome (Brazilian to)

System:

Asus TUF Z390-Pro Gaming/ Intel i5-9600k@ Coffeelake 9a Gen/ Water Cooler Corsair Hydro H45/ Corsair Vengeance Lpx 32Gb 3200Mhz/ EVGA GeForce RX 2070 Super 8Gb Gddr6 256Bits/ 1 SSd M2 3gen 1Tb Xpg/ Headset Corsair + SoundCloud BlasterX Pro Gaming AE-5 / Corsair HX1000i W Plus Platinum/ Case Corsair Gamer Series Obsidiam 500D/ LG 32" 4k Monitor Dp/ Track Ir5 w/Clip Pro/ Saitek Hino X56

Well, I don't have the Tiger yet, but it is on my wishlist (and will probably be my next DCS purchase), and I love it.

When speaking of doing an 'upgrad' module that adds a new variant of the Tiger while building off of the current one to reduce the work needed, I'd honestly like to see something that added new capabilities and weapons to carry. So, wuth that in mind, I'd almost prefer a new F-5 addon to give us the F-20 Tigershark, which was a 1980s derivative that reengined the F-5 with a single Hornet engine and added a host of new features and capabilities. Unfortunately, it's probably almost like building a whole new airplane in several areas, and the fact that nobody bought it would probably prevent any DCS devs from going through the effort to bring it into the game.

At the very least though, mid-air refueling and an expanded weapons selection to incorporate weapons used by other nations - which included AMRAAMS and Mavericks IIRC, not to mention Russian AAMs - would be very much welcome on my end.

The F-20 is a cool aircraft, but as you say, it was only ever a prototype.

I don't think it makes much sense to build an aircraft for DCS that never saw any real world employment.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

C-101EB and CC has the same module with two versions, planned on the initial project. A F-5N has a different version, outside of the F-5E module. That require a different license, the same situation with build a F-5M claimed by a part of a ED forum. Actally has none plans to build a "new" F-5 module by others "develops plans" by ED (complete F/A-18C, F-16, Mi-24, AH-1, etc).

You don't talk about F-4E xD

I have just a question for the F-4E, Do you have a "heli" team for Ka-50, Mi-24 and AH-1 and a team for F-16 ? I have seen that the F-4E is sadly the last in the list. So does the F-4E will arrive after F-16 or does he will arrive after the helicopter because the team of the F-16 and F/A-18 was move to Mi-24 and AH-1.

The F-5N would be great for modern ACM training. But the F-5A would be good for the historical stuff. How about some Skoshi Tigers....

And I would definitely buy an F-20. I went through college with a poster of that bird on the wall.

Actually they may as well update the F5E in DCS to the F5N to make it accurate for the features that US operated Tiger would have , or alternatively just call it a Swiss F5E

F5E is already using AN/ALR 87 RWR ( export version of AN/ALR 46, that Swiss had on thier F5E's). Neither USAF or USN based F5E had RWR.

AN/ALE40 CM suite ( something that USAF or USN F5E's didn't have) F5N feature. At this point may as well just udpate the F5E with Digital radio set, and INS system, and you can either represent as Swiss modernized F5E or as vanilla USN F5N ( not 2008+ upgraded version), which as you all know were abour 30 something F5E's acquired from Switzerland, hence having features inherited from swiss upgraded F5's.

This isnt the first time. Belsimteks products tended to have a mix max of features resulting in franken aircraft: To note other examples

F86F block 35 - 3d model has korean era 6-3 wing, but has post 1956 avionics panels and weapons like aim9b, at a time when 6-3 wing was replaced by F40 type wing with leading edge slats when those other associated features came about.

Uh1H: A mix of Uh1 Aussie Bushranger features, with post vietnam US Army based UH1H that was supposed to be equipped with RWR.

Since BST has been directly absorbed by ED, hopefully they can revist these 3 aircraft, and give us more accurate products.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Well I wrote a lot, but deleted it.

You would be hard pressed to find any two airplanes exactly alike unless you got them right off the production line. It would also be hard to get drawings that match up to the hardware you are looking at.

I think they did a good job on the F-5E. I also think that if it represents a range of aircraft rather than one single type, they should have an option for air refueling.

Edited by Zeagle
too long