VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

This mod no longer works for me on the latest beta, after recompiling no air or ground vehicles are rendered, and cockpits are gone. I did try to delete the shader cache just in case, no change.

Had this too. Just quit the mission and restart the mission, no more problem (for me at least). No need to quit DCS.

It does work.

What have you done already to correct it? Are you using motion smoothing /vectoring?

If you look at your frame times for cpu and gpu... That might help.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

It does work.

What have you done already to correct it? Are you using motion smoothing /vectoring?

If you look at your frame times for cpu and gpu... That might help.

I am using the Reverb with motionvector reprojection. I basically use your VR settings plus high terrain textures and no shadows. I have been considering trying 70% render resolution or something. Frametimes are high on the GPU while CPU seems to keep up okay. I could try low terrain textures but according to some of the settings comparisons people have posted it doesn't make that much of a difference. I'm also playing on Syria a lot lately, so that never helps getting good performance.

i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz

RTX 2080 Ti 11GB

32GB 3000MHz DDR4

Edited by laertesson

I have been fooling around with lower frame rate projections as well.

But you have the same cpu and a better gpu, if you are running my settings then something else is amiss, have you followed the nvidia settings too?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

I have been fooling around with lower frame rate projections as well.

But you have the same cpu and a better gpu, if you are running my settings then something else is amiss, have you followed the nvidia settings too?

There has been so much conflicting information about nVidia settings, the only ones I am using are prefer maximum performance and 4 pre-rendered frames (I figured the more pre rendered the less stuttering, and I could not care less about input lag if it’s smooth, not sure if this is really true)

What mask size are you using with the reverb if you don’t mind sharing?

Edited by laertesson

mine is set at .650

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

There has been so much conflicting information about nVidia settings, the only ones I am using are prefer maximum performance and 4 pre-rendered frames (I figured the more pre rendered the less stuttering, and I could not care less about input lag if it’s smooth, not sure if this is really true)

What mask size are you using with the reverb if you don’t mind sharing?

That's in my settings as well, currently it's set to 0.600

Currently this mod is the only way to get a playable framerate in Incirlik during night time. During daytime there are no problems whatsoever; apparently it's the lighting that kills the frame rate.

Too bad that it still hasn't been backported to the base game so multiplayer is out of the question.

Umm...I get decent frames in Incirlik by bringing my MSAA down to 2x and it doubles my frame rates. Whatever the issue is, lighting is an issue as I have a thread opened for that particular issue (albeight slightly different than what you think) and honestly dont think its optimized quite yet.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

That's in my settings as well, currently it's set to 0.600

It seems like lowering my resolution below 100% is the only way my micro stutters will go away on Syria close to the ground. It’s too bad. I may try a bit of GPU overclock but I’ve heard DCS is not a big fan of that.

It seems like lowering my resolution below 100% is the only way my micro stutters will go away on Syria close to the ground. It’s too bad. I may try a bit of GPU overclock but I’ve heard DCS is not a big fan of that.

DCS doesnt mind it at all providing its a stable OC and the faster you can get those cores spinning the better ... hence my 5.1 OC

Hey guys, is there a plan to improve or update the shader mod? The last shader mod is working well, but i noticed an issue. Don't know, if it just occures on my pc or not.

I fly the F/A 18C and inside the Hornet cockpit when i use the HSI or SA Page on any DDI (left, or right) when you set a CRS (course) as example in a landing pattern for the carrier to set the BRC.

Or when you place the TUC in the SA page on a target or friend you see details showing up in the right down corner on the ddi.

There the informations are overlapped. In carrier approaches you cannot read the distance between the plane and the course, or the information which aircraft you interrogate on the SA page.

I noticed this issues also in the older version of the VR shader mod. I already repaired DCS, or disabled and enabled the shader mod, recompiled the FXO, metachash etc....

But the issues doesn't dissapear.

Any solution or recommendation what to do. If i disable the shader mod, the issues dissapears, but the performance is shitty.

Thanks for your good support and help, greetings to all pilots out there.:pilotfly:

Hey guys, is there a plan to improve or update the shader mod? The last shader mod is working well, but i noticed an issue. Don't know, if it just occures on my pc or not.

I fly the F/A 18C and inside the Hornet cockpit when i use the HSI or SA Page on any DDI (left, or right) when you set a CRS (course) as example in a landing pattern for the carrier to set the BRC.

Or when you place the TUC in the SA page on a target or friend you see details showing up in the right down corner on the ddi.

There the informations are overlapped. In carrier approaches you cannot read the distance between the plane and the course, or the information which aircraft you interrogate on the SA page.

I noticed this issues also in the older version of the VR shader mod. I already repaired DCS, or disabled and enabled the shader mod, recompiled the FXO, metachash etc....

But the issues doesn't dissapear.

Any solution or recommendation what to do. If i disable the shader mod, the issues dissapears, but the performance is shitty.

Thanks for your good support and help, greetings to all pilots out there.:pilotfly:

Picture of what it looks like? This mod has file that can enable/disable parts of it. Open

\Bazar\shaders\deferred\_HMD.hlsl

And change 1 to 0 on each #define to troubleshoot which part of the mod is causing the issue.

Picture of what it looks like? This mod has file that can enable/disable parts of it. Open

\Bazar\shaders\deferred\_HMD.hlsl

And change 1 to 0 on each #define to troubleshoot which part of the mod is causing the issue.

// optimisations: change 1 to 0 to disable

#define ENABLE_HMD_MASK 1 // Enable hidden area masking for HMD (adjust MASKSIZE to fit your headset)

#define ENABLE_SIMPLE_SHADOWS 1 // Use less samples in shadow mapping

#define ENABLE_SIMPLE_GRASS 1 // Simplified grass

#define ENABLE_SIMPLE_CANOPY 1 // Simplified canopy glass

#define ENABLE_SIMPLE_HG 1 // Simplified histogram calculation

#define ENABLE_NO_BLOOM 1 // Disable bloom & color grading

#define ENABLE_SIMPLE_TRANS 0 // Enable simple transparent object shading (propellers, smoke, etc.)

// improvements

#define ENABLE_DITHERING 1 // Use dithering in HDR tonemap to reduce banding, may cause moire artifacts at edges of lenses

#define ENABLE_DIFFUSE_SS 2 // Albedo texture supersampling. 0=off, 1=2x, 2=4x, 3=6x, 4=8x

#define ENABLE_TERRAIN_SHADOW_MS 1 // Read multi-sampled terrain shadows

#define ENABLE_ATOC 1 // Enable alpha-to-coverage

#define NVG_GAIN_ADJUSTS_POSITION 0 // with this enabled the NVG gain control instead adjusts the vertical position allowing in-game adjustment with fixed gain (NVG_VERTICAL_OFFSET is ignored)

// other settings

#define MASKSIZE 0.580 // change this to adjust the size of the mask, 0.525 seems to be ok for the Vive, 0.600 should be ok for the rift cv1

#define NVG_SIZE 4.0 // size of the NVG scope (larger value = smaller scope)

#define NVG_VERTICAL_OFFSET 0.07 // vertical position of the NVG scope, for allowing to "look under" the goggles at instruments

#define NVG_NOISE_STR 0.035 // NVG noise strength

#define NVG_HOTPIXEL_THRESHOLD 0.99983 // NVG noise threshold for "hot" pixels

These are the current settings in this file. I use the valve index, looking forward to upload a screenshot where you can see the issue.

These are the current settings in this file. I use the valve index, looking forward to upload a screenshot where you can see the issue.

I meant turn those off to see which of those values are causing the issue. Test them in halves to narrow it down.

You have to reinstall the mod after you change those values.

First off, thanks to Kegetys and Speed, and everyone else helping to make this mod work. It is a difference maker for me. That said, I still have places where my CPU Frametime just tanks and I am trying to learn why. Can anyone tell me what drives CPU Frametime the most? Is it number of objects like planes?

As an example, in Instant Action/FA18/Nevada/Ready on the Ramp as I enter the cockpit my GPU & CPU Frametimes are around 10ms. As I look to the left where all the planes are on the tarmac, the CPU frametime jumps to around 25ms and solid red. Look back to right, goes back to around 10ms. Likewise in the air as I fly over that area CPU just blows up for a few seconds. Of course when that happens the actual framerate goes to around 23 and we get the typical ghosting and stuttering etc...

I pretty much use Speed's settings for my machine (i9-9900k at 5.0GHz/Aorus z390/32GB RAM/m.2SSD/EVGA FTW3 Ultra 2080ti hybrid) with an Index and it all works pretty well (mostly 45fps) except these weird CPU Frametime spikes. I've got Process Lasso going with hyperthreading disabled on DCS, this mod, I've reduced most every setting and this one spot (and quite a few others in various missions) always blow up.

Is it just me or is it just that spot/mission?

Thanks and happy flying!

Hi Daddio,

(p.s. Waited nearly all my life just say that)

Cpu frames can be eaten by a lot of things, I breaknit down into three camps:

- internal,nthats mostly unit count,the more ai units the more the cpu has to "do"

- supportive, little applications things that add to export lua typically can have a lot of cpu impact, as well as making sure that the USB hot plug setting is disabled in auto exec.

- environmental, this is a pig to track down, but for example icue eats between 3-5% of my cpu cycles.

I suggest you start with supportive first as that's 'easy to control, make a backup of export lua and the delete it from your saved games directory and make the addition to auto exec.

Then start looking in task a manager for processes that are grabbing chunks of cpu time...my cpu is about 2-3 % on an 8 core cpu, when idle at the desktop...

In game settings, I can't remember of shadowsnhot the cpu or cpu and gpu... But looking to redcuce the unit counts may help...

P.p.s. Glad it's been helpful

While digging around just saw this.

// When rendering shadows camera pos is nonsence. But according to this issue https://jira.eagle.ru/browse/GS-71

// currently view matrix for shadows is broken (and so is TerrainContext_cameraDir), so we take camera pos during shadows rendering

// assuming it is something close to validness.

// ... Or take sundir which should be equal to camera dir in view matrix

In one of the fx file. Haven't checked if this is true or if it's outdated note. But if this is true, somewhat explain why shadows are so fps hungry. Also why it sometimes gets distorted.

This mod is a massive improvement for me, much thanks for all the work in creating and updating it!

The improved readability in the F-16 cockpit is one of the things I love about this mod, but I’ve noticed glare on the MFDs is so bad if the sun is anywhere close to behind me that they’re sometimes completely invisible. I just see a solid square of reflected white light. Does anybody else have this problem? Do any of the config options alter this? I typically run with 2.2 gamma and if I crank it down the MFDs do become visible again, but everything else is way too dark, especially after turning to where the sun’s no longer behind me. Any suggestions?

Thanks again guys! Yes RE: export.lua I was (am I guess) a Helios user in 2D so all that got pulled out and there is no export.lua currently. I'll continue to run down these others. Appreciate the help!

Dcs automatically creates one... In saved games? Do you mean you have removed the content from it?

While digging around just saw this.

In one of the fx file. Haven't checked if this is true or if it's outdated note. But if this is true, somewhat explain why shadows are so fps hungry. Also why it sometimes gets distorted.

Interesting! I don't think its outdated as a comment because of the shadow performance... And shadows repeating on parallel blocking surfaces etc...