What Module Aircraft is your Hardest to Land ?

Igor4U

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it's the F-18. I've basically given up on it as I don't think I'll ever complete a carrier landing successfully. I find it impossible to find a throttle setting that will maintain a steady rate of decline and it seems hyper-sensitive to throttle changes so I end up zooming up and down like a possessed roller coaster.

I know it's not a help thread... but you don't keep the throttle in the same position... and you actually move it back and forth rather quickly edging toward the higher end if you need to go up or lower if down. Watch this video and you will see what I mean:

As far as what I have the toughest time landing? WW2 birds... even stalling down is really nerve wracking.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

For me it's the F-18.

I agree,

That is so strange. For me the F-18 is the easiest and most intuitive aircraft to fly. From day one I’ve been making acceptable carrier traps, my first stab at the tanker was an uneventful success, high alpha maneuvering is a blast, and field landings are the most straightforward in DCS.

To me the most challenging aircraft to learn to fly (and land) well are the helicopters. It took me a long time before my Huey landings weren’t a wobbly mess. And that Mi-8 VRS! It still occasionally gets me, though I’m much better now at slipping out before disaster.

And it’s been a while since I’ve flown them but I never felt really comfortable landing the MiG-21, and to a lesser extent the F-5. Both aircraft are unforgiving low and slow: allow the sink rate to get away from you and you’re in real trouble.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Spitfire and Fw190 for me as well. These taildraggers just won't behave. :D

+1 :D

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

Definitely the Polikarpov I-16 aka "Rata" or "Mosca". This aircraft has no trim feature at all. When the gear and flaps are down she wants to soar into the sky and you have to push the stick hard all the time. And when you have touched down you have to work hard to avoid a pirouette or worse. Even taxying is difficult. Take-off is difficult too as rudder priority kicks in very quickly. If you can manage take-off and landing with the I-16, you will not find any of the warbirds difficult.

This one for me as well exactly as described.

I find it impossible to find a throttle setting that will maintain a steady rate of decline and it seems hyper-sensitive to throttle changes so I end up zooming up and down like a possessed roller coaster.

The F-18 is harder to land than the F-14 on a carrier, that's for sure. But you need to get into the habit of constantly walking the throttle back-and-forth to counter/anticipate the engine response. There is no single throttle setting that you can just apply and ride her all the way to touchdown.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

The Spitfire for me.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Spitfire and MiG-21 for me.

Easiest are F/A-18 and F-14 :music_whistling:

Modules:

M-2000C, Mig-21bis, JF-17, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14A&B, A-10C, AV-8B, Spitfire LF Mk. IX

Devices:

Virpil TM50CM2 Grip with WarBRD Base, TM Warthog Throttle, Saitek PRO Flight Rudder

Mig21 and Mi-8 for me,

Mig21 because in the final flare before touchdown you can't see the runway anymore, and because it's kind of difficult to manage speed without lowering the throttle enough.

I manage to "land" almost every time, but I do break a wheel now and then.

For maximum fun, try landing it with some crosswind.

But anyway, now I am able to land the mig, the AV8, A10C and M2000 are a walk in the park.

The Mi-8 because it's hard to keep it pointing in the right direction, while not drifting, overshooting or ending up in a vortex ring-state.

I've been switching some hardware (got rudder pedals instead of a twist-stick) recently, and it feels like flying a whole other helicopter.

The plus side is that it allows you to really quickly get used to new hardware, as you are constantly moving all the available axes.

I'd say the easiest to land are the F-18 and the F-14 on carriers. Some of the land based fighters, new and old, take just a bit more effort to get right. Within that group of land based aircraft you still have some that are more tricky than others but all are worth the effort to learn.

TI-84 graphics calculator (overclocked) 24 KB RAM

Mi-8. UH-1H, then maybe Me-109 but i don´t have it so I would not know.

The jets are easy to land, but not tat easy to master.

P.S. carrier based Planes, easy to land with a 2 mile final (on the groove)...

Now to master the brake and carrier Qualification grade landings takes a LOT of training.

For fixed wings I find the P51 actually to be the most challenging on landings, closely followed by the 109 and 190 (i don't have the spitfire so i won't put it in the list).

Modern planes aren't that difficult once you figure out how the controls act/react to the landing configuration (F18 i'm looking at you ;) )

For rotaries, i'd say the Mi8 hand down

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

Harrier, windy day, on carrier.

I was going to say the Harrier too, I just got it yesterday and I have not landed yet :) but it is a much more complex plane than any other. I love flipping switches especially now that I have my PointControl devices but man there is a lot to remember.

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

Right now, F-14 case 1 pattern is the hardest to land for me. Getting the proper 3/4 mile groove entry is a roll of the dice until I can get better at all the prior checkpoints.

It’s been a while since I tried but I remember the F-15 was difficult for me to land without bursting a tire.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

I have most modules. For me the hardest to land are:

· · · Helicopters: Mi-8 is massive and very prone to VRS

· · · · ·Warbirds: Bf-109 being fragile, with narrow gear and the usual taildragger issues.

· · · · · · · ·Jets: MiG-21 due to poor visibility and poor low-speed handling

PS: for me the easiest are the Yak-52 (good vis, good slow speed handling, tricycle-gear, etc.) and SA342 (superb power-to-weight ratio and autohover).

Hardest to land, for me:

MiG-21 first and MiG-29 second.

Although when the MiG-29 PFM first came out, I do recognize it could be a nightmare for everyone not used to.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

BF-109 hands down. Narrow on the gears and hard to keep center. For those having trouble with the F-18, check out Redkite, Grim Reapers, or Spudknocker on YouTube. All OUTSTANDING tutorials on carrier recoveries. Helped me tremendously. And if you have not done it yet, go VR, I can not stress enough how much easier it makes carrier landing and flying helos. My first landing on a carrier with harrier was the cats ass!

The Bf-109 is easy compared with the Polikarpov I-16. The I-16 is a bit of a nightmare for taxi, take-off and landing. But if you like a challenge it'ss the right thing to buy. Once you have learned to manage it, none of the war birds are really difficult to take off or land.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 2 weeks later...

P-51. Both take off and landing is a challenge for me.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

i9 9900K | GTX 1080 Ti Strix 11GB | 32GB DDR4 | M2 SSD 512 | SSD 1T | 2x HDD 2T | TM Warthog Stick & Throttle | TM TPR | TM MFD | TrackIR 5 Pro | Rift S

The P-51 is probably the easiest of the Warbirds in take-off and landing. Especially the Bf-109 took a lot of practice and still requires my full attention during landing.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5