Idea regarding map proliferation

Mars Exulte

ISSUE

In my personal case, I have enough disposable income that I can pretty much grab what I want when it comes out. I've already encountered the logistical nightmare that is a clan converting to or adding a new map.

In principal not much different than any other module, in practice the maps are a lot more restrictive. As is, long term, as ED expand the available maps, I expect we'll end up with two or three popular maps and a number of rarely used ones, an issue that affects most elements of the community.

RELEVANT OBSERVATIONS

I've noted that with new major asset packs (carriers etc), the approach has been to release lower quality versions for free with high quality assets available for purchase or included in a paid for module.

I've also noted that IC in current iteration checks texture alterations as well as cfgs. I believe there are aspects of this that function offline also, correct me if I'm wrong.

SUGGESTION

Has there been thought given to a similar approach with maps? It seems to be this would resolve most the issues cropping up with the current methodology.

The specific method I propose is a straight up texture degradation, is you have a 1024x1024 texture you resize it to 128x128. It would be serviceable, but ungodly ugly, relatively easy to implement, and avoid having parallel versions of the same asset via mesh or asset alterations, complaints about graphical anomalies can be brushed off with 'buy the full map', you get the gist. The conversion can be as dirty and cutdown as necessary, it doesn't matter how ugly it is, as long as it loads. IC prevents homemade textures, forcing people to buy the full version if they want it to be pretty.

Imo, solves every issue. The only people who won't eventually purchase the maps are probably not the type to buy them anyway.

I don't really have any further ideas or notions to expound on the topic, so I'll leave you all to it.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

The specific method I propose is a straight up texture degradation, is you have a 1024x1024 texture you resize it to 128x128. It would be serviceable, but ungodly ugly, relatively easy to implement, and avoid having parallel versions of the same asset via mesh or asset alterations, complaints about graphical anomalies can be brushed off with 'buy the full map', you get the gist. The conversion can be as dirty and cutdown as necessary, it doesn't matter how ugly it is, as long as it loads. IC prevents homemade textures, forcing people to buy the full version if they want it to be pretty.
Good idea, but maps and assets could be "modable" and so they could be community re-textured hence anybody would pay the module.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Unless they changed it, after saying they weren't going to, IC checks textures now, and is at least partially operational even when offline. So no, they can't, especially if ED specifically directs IC to forbid it. That's the whole point, as I already explained in the first post.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Another simulation tackles this by making all maps playable by everybody in multiplayer, even if you haven't bought them. However, if you haven't bought the map you can't play it in single-player mode and in multiplayer mode you're stuck with the basic planes.

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

• 5 months later...