Desperately seeking fps for BS2

BaD CrC

Thanks -

Can you please give me the monitor IDs for each display?

- Problem is that I can't associate to 100% the monitor ID's - especially for the both 1024x768 monitors. It could easily happen that I mix them up.

softthhelpB.png

Edited by PeterP

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PeterP

thanks for the info. I got it setup, surprisingly quite easy really.

I had issues with using lowerscreen with helios tho so I have changed to full camera view on both monitors.

The issue I had is the HMS wouldnt work properly, I guess something needs editing for it to work in that configuration, running full screen with helios on lower screen.

I'm liking the full camera on both screens for now and just need to figure out how to adjust for the bezels

cheers

• Like 1

I had issues with using lowerscreen with helios tho so I have changed to full camera view on both monitors.

When using Helios

the DCS render has to be spawned at the whole area of your lower (secondary) screen - but you can still define the Camera view - through the monitor-lua only be bound to the top.

That means you need a render resolution of 1920x2160 in the options.lua but have the cockpit camera at 1920x1080 in the monitor-lua. - than position your additional gauges you want to combine in Helios as usual.

If this is done correctly- Helios should now stay at top of full-screen-DCS.

Edited by PeterP

• ED Team
@spikenet

yesterday I helped already Bignewy with a very similar set-up and he was able to get a 10-20% boost :

And to keep it easy for me - without the need to write things again and again I will quote the PersonalMessage conversation we had here.

Keep in mind that he is using FacetrackNoIR instead of a TrackIR - this could be a big burden for the cpu sometimes - so I would expect more FPS with with TrackIR.

Please follow the same advises:

Thanks PeterP for your help

All great tips, and managed to get a lot more out of my sim.

Of course like you say I am using facetracknoir as I can not afford trackir, and this is where I slip up. I have managed to network my facetracknoir to a second machine and this has helped my fps big time, but the delay in movement is very noticeable.

If you follow the step's peterP has suggested you will see an improvement especially if you use trackIR.

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

ok, really like the setup with fullscreen on both monitors. Couple of issues, its crashing ALOT. Also. when it doesnt crash, when I try to exit the game the menu is right on the bezel and I cant click the buttons..

any idea's?

Apart from that, its great, running much higher GFX settings at 30+ frames.

its crashing ALOT

any idea's?

Apart from that, its great, running much higher GFX settings at 30+ frames.

Without knowing nothing/nada/nil about your system I can't comment about this.

But here are some "Ideas":

Alt-Tab is a no go with SoftTh...

Maybe your overall higher graphic settings causing this?

About the the menu:

Didn't you read the SoftTH readme?! ;)

Currently supported hotkeys are:

- Print screen: Save screenshot in TGA format

- App key + E: Toggle smoothing on/ogg

- App key + G: Toggle frame time graph on/off

- App key + B: Debug bars on/off

- App key + W: Toggle left/right monitor data copy

- App key + S: Toggle squashing, draws whole frame to middle

monitor only, helpful for using UI with games that stretch

the UI to all three monitors

- App key + F4: Force application quit

(App key is the application key next to the right windows key)

---------------------------------------------------------

known bugs

---------------------------------------------------------

- SoftTH HUD text is sometimes incorrectly placed

- Flight Simulator X: Mouse input is not working correctly

- Any scaling on the output copying is low quality

- Task switchin ("alt tabbing") usually does not work

:music_whistling:
Edited by PeterP

ok thanks, no i didnt read that far into the readme :)

can the hotkeys be remapped?

Still getting the crash. Something about effects.dll, I will persist and go checkout the softTH forum. Definately worth it.

Hotkey can't remapped - but I made a little autohotkey-script that starts when I run DCS. This script maps the "APP+S to my "home" key. -and the problem of using two keys far away from each other was solved!

- effects.dll sound like it's a internal DCS problem with a missing/wrong library and not caused, but triggered by SofTH because you run now higher specs.

Had it also some moons ago...

Solved it by updating my GPU-drivers, dot.net , Dx9 and

Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages.

Don't know what step exactly solved it but the problem was gone afterwards.

Thanks and NP -you wasting no ones time with this delay...at least not mine!

Just to prepare you for the upcoming instruction:

You will have to swap the monitor ID 3 with 1. (means the Matrox output should be your primary Display...)

This is necessary to get the Helios rendered at the top of DCS-fullscreen.

But I don't see what's against this. - and because of this you (Maybe) also have to reconfigure the ID's in Helios , but this should be no problem at all.

If the numbers stay the same after you made the Matrox your primary - you don't have to reconfigure Helios.

Hope you understand what I mean.

So long!..will come back to you in the evening.

and BTW:

Have a look at this - maybe this will become a option for you some day with your sim-pit: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1343099#post1343099

@spikenet

have a look here:

Effects.dll Crash 1.0.0.9

and here

Help Crash Effects.dll Single adn Multiplayer

Edited by PeterP

5100x1080 does seem like a mass area to render that is 5508000 (5 million) pixels that the computer needs to render several times a second. If you are getting 30 fps sometimes that seems reasonable because you would get 2.65 times the fps playing on full HD 1080p screen (80 fps) but it wouldn't be as an immersive experience.

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

@BaD CrC

You don't have to re-plug the monitors at all....

Just make sure (once I have your Config ready) to set the matrox output as your "Primary Display" or also called "main display" in windows7 properties.

Just let the ID numbers as they are - but please drop me a note if they change after you reassigns the main display.

To know the right ID's for the "primary" and each other display is very important for the SoftTH config when written manually.

in short: ID 1 don't has to mean that this is your "primary display"

But I have to know which ID is associated with which display - that's all.

Once again:

Make sure you are able to set Display 2 as you primary. and don't mess with assigning new IDs... sorry for confusing you ;)

and btw - jib is right!

But I had much more pixel on a 6870 running in the high 30ies (3840x2100).

So -don't worry about the high number of pixels right now.

Thats why we doing this "Desperately seeking for FPS"... softth thingy, -right?! ;).

If this fails - I would also tell you to run a lower res at the Matrox e.g. 3072x768 .

But we are not there right now.

First let see what you will gain with SofTH.

And I'm very sure we/you will see a boost in FPS...

because we will push all "camera" render directly on only one monitor (That's where all the action happens) with SoftTH.

We will also be able to fixate the fps of the secondary screens with a function of Softth.

This will insignificant declutter the pixel-stream against the windowed method.

Because we configure to push the the "Camera View" directly to the "primary screen" first

-if this is done - the GPU (directed by SoftTH) will take the time to deliver the secondary monitors instead of trying it all at once -like in windowed mode.

"primary screen" means first priority - but this doesn't work when in windowed mode so well.

But we will see - will finish the files in the evening.

Edited by PeterP
  • Like 1

Thanks PeterP,

The triple screen is defined in Win7 display configuration as my main display. If you are looking at my rig, the other screens cannot be used for anything else but helios.

S1010020.JPG

You might note that the USB monitor is missing on this picture. The reason is I just added it a few days ago to export PVI, UV26 and engines gauges.

Hey I want to thank you for the time you are spending to help me. I really appreciated it. :beer:

This is my first draft of a "config.SoftTHconfig" for SofTH 2.07 especially for your system.

This config makes it necessary that you set your in-game resolution of DCS to 6176x1080 in the "options.lua" - and tick fullscreen "on".

[main]

renderResolution=6176x1080

nonlocalFormat=RGB16D

keepComposition=1

smoothing=0

debugD3D=0

zClear=0

vsync=0

tripleBuffer=0

screenshotFormat=jpg

dllPathD3D9=auto

dllPathDXGI=auto

dllPathD3D11=auto

[overrides]

forceResolution=0

antialiasing=0

processAffinity=1

FOVForceHorizontal=0

FOVForceVertical=0

[head_primary]

;Camera view

sourceRect=0,0,3840,1024

screenMode=3840x1024

[head_1]

;Helios

devID=1

sourceRect=5408,0,768,1024

transportResolution=768x1024

transportMethod=auto

noSync=0

fpsLimit=15

[head_2]

;ABRIS+Helios

devID=2

sourceRect=4640,0,2400,600

transportMethod=auto

noSync=0

fpsLimit=15

[head_3]

;Skhval

devID=3

sourceRect=3840,480,800,600

transportResolution=800x600

transportMethod=auto

noSync=0

fpsLimit=15

[head_4]

;USB

devID=4

sourceRect=3840,0,800,480

transportResolution=800x480

transportMethod=auto

noSync=0

fpsLimit=15

To learn more about SoftTH you can look at this explanation I made while examine the config ( its missing only the "fpsLimit=" line that is new in 2.07 and it is missing also the undocumented "destRect" function - what is explained here :http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1303406#post1303406)

picture.php?albumid=497&pictureid=3439

------------------------------------------

I see some things that can be optimized in your setup - but we first will leave it as it is to see if SoftTH will start properly and Helios will be at the top. - if this work we can work out a streamlined version ( "streamlined" in the meaning of bandwidth/recurrences - not in complexity!!!) - but this will mean you will have to re-configure parts of the Helios appearance and some parts of your "monitor-LUA". - this can be al little tricky in the end but is doable that everything will still show at the right place in your pit- and this will make it really necessary "to think around corners"... just like in the old days - when you had a comodore64 and you had to squeeze your code into it...

What I have in mind is to lower the reselution of the Abris/Shkval image for instance.

In the real cockpit the image is about 280p - so no need to render the Shkval in 680x480 we can sure lower it to 340x240 without loosing very much visibility - this will reduce the needed data by a factor of 4.

same applies to the ABRIS ... and so on...

I already fixated the fps for all secondary screens to 15.

This should be a fair compromise to lower the needed bandwidth and the USB-Monitor won't be a bottleneck any more.

for that purpose I also set all secondary outputs to 16bit instead of 32bit colour quality. You won't notice any different on the Shkval/abris with this! - but it also lowers the needed bandwidth very much.

But...:

I'm really unsure if I made all monitors ID's right so I would like that you configure your system exactly like you would do it before you start DCS - and don't forget to make your Matrox output your "primary Screen"!!

and than visit this link:http://www.mechatronics4you.com/wp-content/uploads/tool/test.html

You will see your exact desktop-monitor setup.... If not : please press "refresh" and/or update Java!

Than please

a:

Take a screen-shoot of the Monitor schematic image

b:

Please copy and paste the code that appears under Copy this to your "config.SoftTHconfig" " file.

And post the image and config for me.

Thank you for helping me helping you!

Hey I want to thank you for the time you are spending to help me. I really appreciated it. drinks_cheers.gif

No problem mate - didn't took much time - the most time is used to write/to make the postings here. (and having from time to time little arguments with my girlfriend if it is really necessary to "chat" again with my "also so lunatic friends"... ;) )

Edit:

I don't see any reason why this thread is placed in the "Bugs and Problems" section - Its no Bug/problem with DCS at all - It's sure better placed somewhere else (hoping the different DCS-A10/BS2 threads will be unified some time...because what we are debating here can be applied to A-10 as well) ...but it's not fitting in "Bugs and Problems" at all! ;)

Edited by PeterP

Sounds great PeterP. I though about going 3k * 768 on the main display but never though about lowering down the resolution of the SHKVAL. Seems like you can do some real fine tuning with SoftTH. This is really interesting.

Can't wait to try this out. Maybe I can even try this on BS1?

I have a flight with my Squad tonight so I'll try SoftTH this weekend and I'll come back to you ASAP.

Just take your time - as I take mine. But don't forget to do this before coming back:

I'm really unsure if I made all monitors ID's right so I would like that you configure your system exactly like you would do it before you start DCS - and don't forget to make your Matrox output your "primary Screen"!!

and than visit this link:http://www.mechatronics4you.com/wp-content/uploads/tool/test.html

You will see your exact desktop-monitor setup.... If not : please press "refresh" and/or update Java!

Than please

a:

Take a screen-shoot of the Monitor schematic image

b:

Please copy and paste the code that appears under Copy this to your "config.SoftTHconfig" " file.

Enjoy your flight!

Edit:

for the sake of clarity! (just had some requests about this and what follows it is not directed to "BaD CrC"... much more directed to the folks that think about a GPU when talking about a "major Upgrade"...):

SoftTH can't make run your system faster than in pure full-screen - but it can higher your FPS significant when compared to "windowed-mode" in DCS.

But if your system is bottlenecked by your CPU and not by your GPU (please re-read last sentence to fully catch the meaning!)

- there is not much SoftTH can do about this.

This means you will still suffer from low FPS in heavy battles and so on... but your overall "smooth"-experience will be greater in areas where no heavy CPU load is done. -this is all what SoftTH can do for DCS...

- nothing more -nothing less! -

So if you get in pure full-screen mode not more FPS than in windowed mode - you have to upgrade your CPU/RAM/....

and not your GPU.

And utilizing SoftTh wont help you much.

Edited by PeterP

That's absolute OK - and what I have expected - and that's also the reason why I gave you this instruction to post this...

I also didn't trust the readout of Windows-display-properties and CCC any more...

will rework my softthconfig upon your new info -

but please also follow step b - so I really have all info and double-check 1 is rally assigned as primary - just to be 100% on the save side. Edit: maybe do a restart....

b:

Please copy and paste the code that appears under Copy this to your "config.SoftTHconfig"

Windows/CCC shows sometimes a different number as in the DX setting.

At last for me...

I think just to make sure that monitor "3" will still "3" when a user is plunging it in a different output...

That's OK from a "noob" point of view - but very frustrating when you need the "internal" DirectX address.

EDIT:

Brain-fart...

There a too many uncertain things going on in this...(maybe a bug in the configuration tool.)

Just don't believe anything...

even what I have wrote...

To get 100% the right ID's for all your monitors:

Download SoftTH 2.07 64bit and place it in the

DCS Black Shark 2\bin\ folder

start DCS

you will get a prompt to create a default softth

do this!

Close dcs again and post the default config.SoftTHconfig

that has been created in the

\bin\ folder

Than you can remove the d3d9.dll from SoftTH again - until I will have a working profile for you.

or

Leave the d3d9.dll where it is and start DCS with full-screen to see what happens.

(I'm very certain that everything will work and SoftTH will fire up when you set DCS to 6176x1080 in the options.lua)

Than we can look at the configSoftTH.config to see what can be improved ,- like:

processAffinity=1

fpsLimit=15

Edited by PeterP

urgh.. I've given up on BS2. Non stop effects.dll crashing, wasted about 1 day reinstalling and trying everything.

Gone back to BS1 and works fine, quite frustrating as with this Sim I spend more time getting it to work at decent FPS then I play it!

Good luck bad crc, your rig looks awesome, hope you get it running as you wish!

edit: BS2 32bit works fine, clearly only an issue with the 64bit version.

Edited by spikenet
update

@spikenet: sorry to hear that mate. We can only hope ED will be as diligent as for A10C to give us some regular corrective updates, at least more than what we got for BS1!! Looking forward to hear from you once you resume your work on BS2.

Thanks for the reply PeterP. Never heard about this primary screen issue before and the bug with CCC or Windows config. That's real strange.

Here is the copy paste of your "part b" from your link:

[main]

nonlocalFormat=RGB32

keepComposition=0

smoothing=1

debugD3D=0

zClear=0

vsync=0

tripleBuffer=0

screenshotFormat=jpg

dllPathD3D9=auto

dllPathDXGI=auto

dllPathD3D11=auto

[overrides]

forceResolution=0

antialiasing=0

processAffinity=0

FOVForceHorizontal=0

FOVForceVertical=0

[head_primary]

screenMode=768x1024

[head_1]

devID=1

sourceRect=0,0,3840,1024

transportResolution=3840x1024

transportMethod=nonlocal

noSync=0

fpsLimit=0

[head_2]

devID=2

sourceRect=4640,0,768,1024

transportMethod=nonlocal

noSync=0

fpsLimit=0

[head_3]

devID=3

transportMethod=nonlocal

noSync=0

fpsLimit=0

[head_4]

devID=4

transportMethod=nonlocal

noSync=0

fpsLimit=0

OK, so I installed SoftTH and launched DCS.

Got the following configsoftth.config:

[main]

nonlocalFormat=RGB16D

keepComposition=0

smoothing=1

debugD3D=0

zClear=1

vsync=0

tripleBuffer=0

screenshotFormat=jpg

dllPathD3D9=auto

dllPathDXGI=auto

dllPathD3D11=auto

[overrides]

forceResolution=0

antialiasing=0

processAffinity=0

FOVForceHorizontal=0

FOVForceVertical=0

[head_primary]

sourceRect=0,0,3840,1024

screenMode=3840x1024

[head_1]

; Autodetected as \\.\DISPLAY1 at AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

devID=1

transportMethod=auto

noSync=0

fpsLimit=0

[head_2]

; Autodetected as \\.\DISPLAY9 at ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

devID=2

transportMethod=auto

noSync=0

fpsLimit=0

[head_3]

; Autodetected as \\.\DISPLAY10 at ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

devID=3

transportMethod=auto

noSync=0

fpsLimit=0

[head_4]

; Autodetected as \\.\DISPLAY11 at ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

devID=4

transportMethod=auto

noSync=0

fpsLimit=0

Then I set options.lua to 6176x1080 fullscreen and fired up BS2.

Saw SoftTH launched OK and everything went real fine full screen, but... my frame rate dropped to 14/15 where it used to be 24/25.

By the way, I tried the 3072x768 main screen yesterday and could get around 3 to 4 fps extra, but picture is not the best....

Thanks for your help. I'll wait for your optimized config file.

OK - that's a start, Bad CrC!

but... my frame rate dropped to 14/15 where it used to be 24/25.
Yes - also had this outcome sometimes after the first try.

try this for a second try:

I marked everything I changed in bold.

[main]

nonlocalFormat=RGB16D

keepComposition=0

; try also keepComposition=1 just to compare frames!

smoothing=0

debugD3D=0

zClear=0

vsync=0

tripleBuffer=0

screenshotFormat=jpg

dllPathD3D9=auto

dllPathDXGI=auto

dllPathD3D11=auto

[overrides]

forceResolution=0

antialiasing=0

processAffinity=1

FOVForceHorizontal=0

FOVForceVertical=0

[head_primary]

sourceRect=0,0,3840,1024

screenMode=3840x1024

[head_1]

; Autodetected as \\.\DISPLAY1 at AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

devID=1

transportMethod=auto

noSync=0

fpsLimit=15

[head_2]

; Autodetected as \\.\DISPLAY9 at ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

devID=2

transportMethod=auto

noSync=0

fpsLimit=15

[head_3]

; Autodetected as \\.\DISPLAY10 at ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

devID=3

transportMethod=auto

noSync=0

fpsLimit=15

[head_4]

; Autodetected as \\.\DISPLAY11 at ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

devID=4

transportMethod=auto

noSync=0

fpsLimit=15

Be very conservative with the use of MSAA and TSSAA! (these are FPS eater!)

Try to stay first with MSAAx2 and TSSAA=off

Use in CCC -everything determinate by application.

One really good addition would be if you could get monitor 3 or 4 pluged directly into the HD 69xx - so there is no (or much less) data of the DCS render copied through the ram to your HD 58xx any-more.

But after you have done this - you must recreate the configSoftTH.config again and change it like I have done -again.

If after this there is a little boost - we should see if lowering the res of the secondary outputs will bring more. (But you should anyway try this - even without SoftTH).

And when this all doesn't help- I would suggest to unplug the USB monitor for FPS comparing -

because using a USB monitor can be the bottleneck when coping shared surfaces of a render image through the ram.

Because:

When the data of your render GPU (HD6900) is shown on the secondary GPU (HD 58xx) the data goes this way:

Backbuffer of HD6900 > pci-e-bus > ram > pci-e-Bus > HD 58xx

A USB monitor has to delivered in this way:

Backbuffer of HD6900 > pci-e-bus > ram > USB-bus

And this is much slower than hooked directly to a graphic adapter- and you loose also all hardware-acceleration because the data is handed out to a "virtual" graphic-adapter...

Many are suffering from lower FPS after using a USB device - I have none of these - so I can only tell you what I have observed by the description from others. (the system of GregP is a good example)

:)

Edited by PeterP

Its' worth a try - but I would think when doing this - and a Part of Helios is not inside the SoftTH render - you will lost focus of Helios - and you can't click/see this part of Helios anymore.

And I wouldn't expect a big boost by doing so - because you only transport a Black background - and DCS doesn't render anything on this area...

But worth a try...

you have to exclude the monitors that re not used by dcs in the softTH config (simply delete these blocks [head_X]...)- and set your ingame reselution to this new "[main]

renderResolution=5100x1080" and also in DCS...

Edited by PeterP

Hi PeterP.

Tried your customized config. Setting keepComposition=1 yielded much better results but still got short of 3 to 4 fps from my windowed configuration, with the exact same graphic configuration in the very same flight. I think the 6176x1080 resolution killed the whole thing. Going back to 5100x1080 in window mode got me back my 24 fps instead of 20/21 with SoftTH.

I think my problem is really CPU bound as pushing texture and scenery to HIGH with cockpit shadow ON doesn't take a single fps from BS2.

I am deeply sorry for taking so much time from you.