VR REQUEST: LAUNCH HEADSET ONLY FOR FLIGHT

jojo

VR REQUEST: LAUNCH HEADSET ONLY FOR FLIGHT  

43 members have voted

1. 1. VR REQUEST: LAUNCH HEADSET ONLY FOR FLIGHT

• No, stay as currently with user interface in VR.
    • Yes, launch VR gear only for flight and keep user inteface on screen.

I have a request:

The VR headset is great for the flight, but useless for the menu and mission editor.

So i think it would be better to have, at least as option, to have a 2 steps sequence to launch the flight in VR:

- user interface on screen

-Click launch

-Choose "screen" or "VR"

And we should be able to have 2 different graphical settings for screen mode and VR mode.

Currently it's a pain in the ass if you want to design some missions you have to set your user interface to screen mode, and if you want to fly you must change the setting again for VR use.

Do you agree to have 2 different graphical setting, have a screen user interface and then choose screen or VR play on flight launch ?

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

I have a request:

The VR headset is great for the flight, but useless for the menu and mission editor.

So i think it would be better to have, at least as option, to have a 2 steps sequence to launch the flight in VR:

- user interface on screen

-Click launch

-Choose "screen" or "VR"

And we should be able to have 2 different graphical settings for screen mode and VR mode.

Currently it's a pain in the ass if you want to design some missions you have to set your user interface to screen mode, and if you want to fly you must change the setting again for VR use.

Do you agree to have 2 different graphical setting, have a screen user interface and then choose screen or VR play on flight launch ?

You can do it today. And you have two options. Copy the current ICON and set it to disable VR. Or use SkateZilla's GUI option.

BoxxMann's tips:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=164892

SkateZilla GUI

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Or use SkateZilla's GUI option.

This is what I use, works great.

I don't mind navigating the menus in VR, but if doing something like setting controls or something more complex, I just launch it with VR disabled with the above utility.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I like the idea.

As someone that spends more than a pair of minutes planning, I believe that briefing and planning should be enjoyed and executed in a 2D environment. Better planning tools would also be welcome, but that is a different matter altogether.

Think of the VR headset as your helmet. Put in on when in the cockpit.

-dolfo

• 1 month later...
I like the idea.

As someone that spends more than a pair of minutes planning, I believe that briefing and planning should be enjoyed and executed in a 2D environment. Better planning tools would also be welcome, but that is a different matter altogether.

Think of the VR headset as your helmet. Put in on when in the cockpit.

-dolfo

Copy that! Thought about the same. Mission planning is no fun in VR. So to just start up a simple mission in VR, you have to either work yourself through the bad resolution mission editor and start from there, or start DCS in non-vr mode, edit the mission, close DCS, restart DCS with VR and load mission.

Assetto Corsa has this kind of "put your helmet on" implementation, and I really like it!

Regards,

Huzzle

German Squadron "Serious Uglies"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Skyfire

Intel 10700K | SSD for system and DCS | 32 Gb RAM | Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 | HP Reverb G2

As mentioned above - just have a separate shortcut to open DCS in 2D view on ur monitor for mission editor etc - is what I did.

I realise you said it could be an option - perhaps that could be ok as you select to start every time in 2D then fly in VR. But that would be a major PITA for me as my desk/screen is a fair way from my rig.

Even the latest 'addition' of whatever that box is that pops up with 2.0 catches me out as i will be in my rig with my headset on after either clicking the DCS icon, or saying :"Start DCS" with VA....and it doesn't load...so I lift my HS and see some dialog box on my monitor...so have to take off headset, get up out of rig and walk over to monitor and click ok or w/e you have to do just to start the sim - PITA!

Well I used to - the flight rig has been turned back into a driving rig for now - maybe will be back when the F-14 releases. Guess I have too much Alpha/Beta/WIP fatigue....

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Right click on the icon that starts DCS normally and select copy.

Then right click on the desktop (any blank space) and select Paste.

You're going to see a "DCS - Copy" icon. Right click on it and click on RENAME. Name it something like DCS NO VR and hit ENTER

Right click on the icon again. Click on Properties.

In the TARGET field, you're going to see something like:

"C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\bin\DCS_updater.exe"

Click inside the TARGET field once. The highlighted BLUE will be gone and you'll see a blinking cursor. Use the right arrow to go to the end.

Change the: DCS_updater.exe"

to

DCS.exe" --force_disable_VR

In other words, you're changing the TARGET field from:

TO:

"C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\bin\DCS.exe" --force_disable_VR

Note the placement of the double quote. It's important.

HTH. BTW: This assumes you have 2.1 alpha, but the method works for all versions of DCS including 1.5.x. Just repeat the process for each DCS installation you have.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I agree. Assetto Corsa displays the main menu and settings on the monitor, and doesn't kick off VR until you're in the car. I absolutely love this and wish every game was this way!

As it stands now I start DCS in 2D using the method described by hansangb to do mission planning. Then I have to exit DCS and restart it in VR... very annoying!

Hope ED could make this an option some day. Trying to read mission briefings in VR is a pain in the neck!

I'd prefer ED's coders doing other things, like splitting the graphics engine thread off of the rest of the game engine. The current UI could be a little better admittedly, but I find it perfectly adequate as both a mission builder and player. If I want to build a serious mission, I just disable the headset for the bulk of the build and only leave it running for fine tuning and play testing.

And funny that Asseto Corsa gets mentioned, I absolutely hate the way they swap constantly between monitor and the headset. It's terribly inconvenient imho. Is there a way to switch it to HMD only? I just got the game today so I'm still trying to figure it out.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

I agree. Assetto Corsa displays the main menu and settings on the monitor, and doesn't kick off VR until you're in the car. I absolutely love this and wish every game was this way!

Interesting - as I find this a major PITA and actually stopped playing AC because of it (well that and all the other issues with it!), as I cannot really even see my monitor while sitting in my racing rig - so was completely impractical.

When you get a bit older - climbing in and out of your race rig just to use the menus is not even worth considering lol - several expletives were loudly announced following the latest DCS 2.0 update with that **** box that pops up on screen to login or w/e it does, after you have clicked the DCS s/c and settled into your rig with your rift on lol.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You're going to see a "DCS - Copy" icon. Right click on it and click on RENAME. Name it something like DCS NO VR and hit ENTER

Click inside the TARGET field once. The highlighted BLUE will be gone and you'll see a blinking cursor. Use the right arrow to go to the end.

to

TO:

"C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\bin\DCS.exe" --force_disable_VR

HTH. BTW: This assumes you have 2.1 alpha, but the method works for all versions of DCS including 1.5.x. Just repeat the process for each DCS installation you have.

Thank you very much hansangb :thumbup:

Waste of dev resources. Simply disable VR if you want to work on the monitor.

It's not a waste of dev resources, and simply disabling VR is not what was asked for. For mission planning, editing, briefing etc, you are always going to be better off with a 2D screen. VR comes into it's own once you get into the cockpit.

to

TO:

I followed every step as you perfectly described but when I launch DCS 1.5 with my new shortcut (release version) I end up in the hangar without any menu showing, same thing as when I tried once to launch DCS through Oculus home...

What did I do wrong ? :( (I haven't tried with DCS2 open alpha yet)

Oh, you have to adjust the path ast 1.5 and 2.x alpha are different.

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\

Is for the alpha version only. Try doing the same thing, but with 1.5 icon. 1.5 version will also have the ...DCS_updater.exe" in the TARGET. You just need to make the same change to .....DCS.exe" --force_disable_VR

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

And funny that Asseto Corsa gets mentioned, I absolutely hate the way they swap constantly between monitor and the headset. It's terribly inconvenient imho. Is there a way to switch it to HMD only? I just got the game today so I'm still trying to figure it out.

Funny, two of you responded that this is annoying.... guess it's a matter of taste. :) I don't think there's any way to change this in Assetto Corsa. But don't let that stop you, it's an incredible VR experience, right up there with Dirt Rally.

Oh, you have to adjust the path ast 1.5 and 2.x alpha are different.

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\

Is for the alpha version only. Try doing the same thing, but with 1.5 icon. 1.5 version will also have the ...DCS_updater.exe" in the TARGET. You just need to make the same change to .....DCS.exe" --force_disable_VR

I didn't change the whole path but just what was needed, I'm pretty sure I did well. But thanks again anyway :thumbup:

I'll give SkateZilla's utility a try :)