New GME software

sedenion

sedenion

I never realized that. This will save me a lot of work.

Thanks.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

1) You can use the same "Mods Stock" folder for several config (you are not forced to duplicate/copy mods in two separated folders)

2) Applying mods are "config independent", you can enable or disable the same mod from the same folder for both or only one config at the same time, there is no problem.

This makes sense since you only copy from the "_MODS" folder, so it doesn't have to be duplicated. This is true only of course IF there is no functionality change between versions that affects the modded files. For mature modules this is a small IF, but for relatively new modules, especially early access, it might be a big IF.

However the backup folder location needs to be separate for each version I believe.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 2 weeks later...

I used OvGME once, set up mods etc. for 1.5/2.1 main&user folders. Now weirdly OvGME won't start up. It shows OvGME in the taskbar but it doesn't react and shows no crash in the task manager. (Moving it to focus does not work)

Anyone got an idea?

Have had this happen if i minimize the window, use windows key and arrows to snap it to a quadrant of the screen then drag and maximize it / resize it back to normal

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Modules are like Pokemon you gotta catch 'em all :joystick::lol::pilotfly:

AMD Ryzen7 3700x, G-Skills 32Gb RAM @ 3200Mhz, MSI GTX1080Ti, TM Warthog (20cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind Pedals, Oculus Rift, Track Ir5

Indeed, i am not sure (i have to verify), but i think it is sorted according config sub-folder name (which is an Md5 string). No easy way to order this list...

So there is a way :bounce:

But seriously, any chance that you can figure out a solution at some point? It would really be nice to have.

And I'm also very happy with your software as it is. Makes dealing with mods and configurations much, much easier :thumbup:

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

... - The archive must be compressed in ZIP format

OvGME does not support rar, 7z, gz or any other compression format.

Why no support for rar, 7z...?

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

There is already JSGME. Why build upon the original? What's different to JSGME from this OVGME?

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

There is already JSGME. Why build upon the original? What's different to JSGME from this OVGME?

JSGME has no technical support, no new versions. OVGME allows the use of a single Mod folder to share between all your DCS installs, thus saving disk space.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

JSGME has no technical support, no new versions. OVGME allows the use of a single Mod folder to share between all your DCS installs, thus saving disk space.
I can see how that is an improvement, but it's very little. I MIGHT try it out when I have time. Until then I will stick with JSGME, because it works.
  • Like 1

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Im with ya on that one,, I use JSGME still without issue, I most definitely appreciate the newer software, but its a learning curve I dont wish to partake in at the moment until I am forced to,,,,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

much simpler to deploy. You can easily create mods packs with ovgme... ready to be installed from a server directly.

I used JSGME before for many games. OVGME is just blowing it out of the water. You just need to use it.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

JSGME is done for, or atleast in the way we need it since the mod path change in 1.5.7. I now have to install mods into the saved games & DCS root folder, if you want to make multiple JSGME instances to achieve what OvGME does with one... Be my guest! =)

Come on folks! It's my opinion that there are differences more than "very little" between JGSME and OvGME.

And to me, OvGME is contemporary software according to JGSME.

I thank sedenion in every use.

Just try it.

• Like 1

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

I can see how that is an improvement, but it's very little. I MIGHT try it out when I have time. Until then I will stick with JSGME, because it works.

Yes, JSGME works ... but I always disliked that it forced you to store the Mods within the game folder, I find it much cleaner to be able to store your Mods someplace away from the game itself.

Also, for those of us that have several versions of DCS (I have three) its simply wasteful to have almost the same Mods duplicated on each DCS version.

Also, on JSGME you have to remember which Mods you have actually active in order to re-enable them after a DCS update ... the newer software allows you to have pre-defined collections of Mods to apply in a single mouse click, no need to remember or write it down.

For example, this is the folder where I store my Mods, located on drive E (an HDD since there is no need for a speedy drive for storing this), while the simulator is actually installed on a different drive (an SSD, of course):

ovgme_1.png

The Mod manager shows me which of those Mods are actually applied at any given time:

ovgme_2.png

And the list control on the top lets you select to which version of DCS you want to apply the Mods, on this screenshot the 1.5 OpenBeta is the one selected.

I fully understand the reticence to change ... for example I resist to migrate to Windows 10, but in this case the new software is actually much better than the old one: quicker to use, saves space, and leaves the DCS folder clean of foreign software.

:D

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Okay. The part about not having to remember is slightly appealing. I may give it a shot later. However, I think it's good to note how useful JSGME has been for a long time, and respect how well it has been while it was the "latest and greatest". You cannot deny that. I will (if I remember) download and goof off with it later today.

Thanks for the over-the-top detail, but bullet points would have worked too.

Only downside of ovgme is little control of mod activation order.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Whooooo.. what happened here ? let me take a coffee... i reply to some unanswered questions...

So there is a way :bounce:

But seriously, any chance that you can figure out a solution at some point? It would really be nice to have.

And I'm also very happy with your software as it is. Makes dealing with mods and configurations much, much easier :thumbup:

I think i can implement an automatic alphabetical sorting of the config list, but i will not implement a way to create a custom order in the near futur : too complex for a too small feature.

Please add a request for this feature here, this is more easy for me to check here than searching in this forum topic : https://github.com/sedenion/ovgme/issues

Why no support for rar, 7z...?

Because each compression format is different and need complex inflate and deflate algorithm with functions ot integrate it into OvGME code. For this i have two solution : Writing the mini-library myself, or using an existing open-source free-to-use library. Writing the mini-library myself is a work at its own, need lot of time and knowledge (in compression theory to begin), this is not reasonable. In addition, some compression formats are NOT open-source, like the RAR format, which is proprietary. I could probably implements some typical GNU/Unix format like tar.gz but no one use them in windows.

The Zip support is implemented in OvGME because i found a free-to-use open-source mini-library that implement all function needed to inflate and deflate the very common zip format, this was easy and quick to use, so i used it. There is no such thing for RAR format for example...

Only downside of ovgme is little control of mod activation order.

Already disucussed about that... i have to implements a way to create a custom mod sort in Mods Profiles... i have to create some new pop-up for that... please create new issue about this here : https://github.com/sedenion/ovgme/issues

Edited by sedenion

Okay. The part about not having to remember is slightly appealing. I may give it a shot later. However, I think it's good to note how useful JSGME has been for a long time, and respect how well it has been while it was the "latest and greatest". You cannot deny that. I will (if I remember) download and goof off with it later today.

Thanks for the over-the-top detail, but bullet points would have worked too.

I think it was never the point to deny how JSGME was/is useful and ingenious. I coded OvGME based on the JSGME main idea and this is why i called it with "GME": This is a dedication to JSGME and this is writen everywhere in OvGME Readme, Help, and home page.

The OvGME bornning history is very simple : JSGME became tiring for me to use with DCS and/or several games, I needed something more flexible and conveniency to manage (and create) my mods through multiple games... I know the programming, so i applied the adage "Do It Yourself" then shared the result with open sources and GPL license.

Because each compression format is different and need complex inflate and deflate algorithm with functions ot integrate it into OvGME code. For this i have two solution : Writing the mini-library myself, or using an existing open-source free-to-use library. Writing the mini-library myself is a work at its own, need lot of time and knowledge (in compression theory to begin), this is not reasonable. In addition, some compression formats are NOT open-source, like the RAR format, which is proprietary. I could probably implements some typical GNU/Unix format like tar.gz but no one use them in windows.

The Zip support is implemented in OvGME because i found a free-to-use open-source mini-library that implement all function needed to inflate and deflate the very common zip format, this was easy and quick to use, so i used it. There is no such thing for RAR format for example...

I understand. I just asked because I had to unpack mod-xy.rar and make a mod-xy.zip. Is not a big problem. In any case, excellent software. :thumbup:

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

I understand. I just asked because I had to unpack mod-xy.rar and make a mod-xy.zip. Is not a big problem. In any case, excellent software. :thumbup:

I know, most people use RAR format, even me, and if i had an easy way to implement RAR support, i had did it, but as i said, RAR is proprietary format, only the decompression algorithm is provided by RARlab, and there is no easy/quick way to implement it.

However, you are not forced to convert a JSGME compatible mode to zip format, you can simply extract the folder in the proper mods folder, this work the same way than JSGME.

Switched to this GME previous weekend for simple reason - running out of space on my SSD with multiple DCS installs and thus necessity to move stuff to the other drive. JSGME couldn't handle that problem, Ov did. I'm happy so far.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Switched to this GME previous weekend for simple reason - running out of space on my SSD with multiple DCS installs and thus necessity to move stuff to the other drive. JSGME couldn't handle that problem, Ov did. I'm happy so far.

Hi,

Another way to save space when you have multiple DCS, is to centralize the custom liveries that you might have, using this method (not really a Mod, since it is stored on saved games):

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=174462

Bes regards.

... you are not forced to convert a JSGME compatible mode to zip format, you can simply extract the folder in the proper mods folder, this work the same way than JSGME.

:doh: I did not try that. Now I know. Nice.