New Damage Model irrelevant if...

...The AI is not able to integrate with it.

Given that this is currently possible:

(for the TL;DR crowd a Player P-51 denudes an AI 109K-4 of BOTH ailerons and it's rudder yet somehow it still manages to maintain full lateral manoueverabilty and ultimately bests the P-51 guy)

What assurances do we have that this sort of complete disconnect between the AI behaviour and the physical airworthiness of the AI aircraft will not simply be carried forward into the New Damage model?

I've been singing the praises of DCS and trying to support the branching to WW2 era for sometime now and I knew the AI had these issues but seeing this vid and just brings home how ludicrous it is considering that even 20 years ago we didn't see this kind of disconnect in WW2 combat flight sims.

Surely the process of tying in a the loss of even one major control surface with a "disengage & evade" routine - as I think most of us here would agree, is the only sensible course of action we'd take in a similar circumstance - is, if not simple, at least achievable, yet 6 years after the P-51 was released...

I'm a loyal and paying customer ED, whose repeatedly demonstrated his willing to overlook a few bumps and bugs on the road to development but I'm starting to get the feeling I'm being played.

Change my mind.

Edited by DD_Fenrir

Many people fly in multiplayer, so the new DM would not be irrelevant if it would not apply to the AI.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Many people fly in multiplayer, so the new DM would not be irrelevant if it would not apply to the AI.
Many is not all and probably nor the majority... With my Squadron I play pvp and even pve... Sometimes sp... Pretending the AI fixed when there are other products on the market that have a decent AI is not a kid's cry, is a loyal customer (own pratically all the modules apart the Heli and 3 or 4 airplanes, all the maps, CA and so on..) that want something for wich I payed usable in all the possible contest...

Forgive my bad English...

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

DM AND AI are the 2 reasons I never end up playing DCS WWII, Both need fixing, not just one.

Sorry for the PvP MP crowd but AI is as important as DM

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

For a PvP airquake server, you would be correct.

But anytime you introduce AI, be it in fighter or bomber aircraft, either in Multiplayer matches to flesh out historical scenarios PvP+E or as an absolute pre-requisite for Single player Air-to-Air then we run up against this issue.

To dismiss is at as only affecting SP is a) disingenuous and b) doesn't satisfy those of us who want a fulfilling SP/MP experience with the AI - which I suspect is a considerably greater number than the exclusively Airquake crowd.

For a PvP airquake server, you would be correct.

But anytime you introduce AI, be it in fighter or bomber aircraft, either in Multiplayer matches to flesh out historical scenarios PvP+E or as an absolute pre-requisite for Single player Air-to-Air then we run up against this issue.

To dismiss is at as only affecting SP is a) disingenuous and b) doesn't satisfy those of us who want a fulfilling SP/MP experience with the AI - which I suspect is a considerably greater number than the exclusively Airquake crowd.

I fully agree. I just said it wouldn't be totally irrelevant if it would not apply to the AI. Having a new DM for players only is still better than having no new DM at all.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
AI will have the same DM, would not make sense otherwise.

While on the subject, will the AI's FM be tweaked to be more in-line with the player's PFMs? The new damage modeling is fine and dandy, but if the AI continues to to be able to out-maneuver the player, the player is the only one who will end up seeing his plane degraded and shot up while the AI flies rings around the player's plane... :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com