IFF Transponder description-curiosity

TripRodriguez

This question is purely out of curiosity and for conversation's sake. This isn't about learning to operate the IFF system (since it isn't implemented in DCS).

It's just that I noticed when going through the manual (page 90) that the image of the transponder has fourteen numbered items indicating descriptions of each, but there is no text to go with it! Am I missing something?

Please remember, it doesn't actually matter! I just had to ask.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

... I noticed when going through the manual (page 90) that the image of the transponder has fourteen numbered items indicating descriptions of each, but there is no text to go with it! Am I missing something?

I guess ED/BST decided to leave all the IFF description out.

The switches are labelled, so that's no issue.

jHA2OdC.jpg

This is my understanding of the different IFF modes as used in the F-14

F-14B IFF

=========

Not modelled in DCS

Mode 1 - Mission Type/Number - first 2 numbers.

Mode 2 - fixed code set on reciver/transmiter box thumb wheels in avionics bay. 1 digit Air wing, next 3 modex.

Mode 3/A - civilan ATC i.e. 'squark' "1724" means mode 3, code 1724

Mode C - ATC altitude reporting - sends pressure altitude to ATC SR, so altitude shows on ATC's radar.

Ident switch to send ID, can be tied to mic switch

Mode 4 - encrypted Military IFF

Alert switch - if set, gives a warning lamp or audio 'beep', that IFF interrogation has be recieved but not replied to.

Wiki also describes the different modes but I'm sure there are plenty of other sources (3/A and C are civilian).

There have been a number of modes used historically, but four are in common use today: mode 1, mode 2, mode 3/A, and mode C.

• Mode 1 is used to sort military targets during phases of a mission.

• Mode 2 is used to identify military aircraft missions.

• Mode 3/A is used to identify each aircraft in the [ATC] radar's coverage area.

• Mode C is used to request/report an aircraft's altitude.

Two other modes, mode 4 and mode S, are not considered part of the ATCRBS system, but they use the same transmit and receive hardware.

• Mode 4 is used by military aircraft for the Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) system.

• Mode S is a discrete selective interrogation, rather than a general broadcast, that facilitates TCAS for civilian aircraft. Mode S transponders ignore interrogations not addressed with their unique identity code, reducing channel congestion. At a typical SSR radar installation, ATCRBS, IFF, and mode S interrogations will all be transmitted in an interlaced fashion. Some military facilities and/or aircraft will also utilize Mode S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_traffic_control_radar_beacon_system

Edited by Ramsay
Add picture

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080