This all for Viper updates? - Page 8 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-09-2019, 02:29 PM   #71
Arctander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonty View Post

@Arctander - You are in the right and I don't want to take it away from you. If I read your other posts (e.g. Hornet), a common thread of detailed complaints against ED runs through your posts. It would be a great sign from you, if you would announce here and now what you like about ED and DCS. There is certainly a developer who on Monday will be all the more pleased to make the solution to your / our problems ....
Not sure why I would need to do that but ok...

DCS is the *ONLY* high fidelity Jet combat and Helo sim.

As to positives:

The feeling I get when flying and fighting is not comparable to any other gaming experience I've had. (I use IL2 for the same feeling for WWII). As such I've spent a lot of money - both for ED and peripherals to enjoy that feeling. I fly in VR with a RiftS, Warbrd Base/WH Stick, WH throttle, 3 MFDs, MFG crosswinds in a custom made simpit.... bonus sleeping dog.

This is simpit V3 and is built so I can pack it away easily under my desk. In a month or so when I have more room I'll be building a permanent V4...

I love the Hormuz map, and the MP servers like BF that let me fly and fight against others. (Single player is of very little interest to me). SRS really helps there - ED are working on their own VOIP - I hope it isn't a disappointment in comparison so it can bring more people into comms.

Flying the Hornet and working with the systems brings a satisfaction when I make a kill that is unmatched in any other experience in gaming I have had.

The modelling and texturing is such that on a number of occasions I've tried to lean on the edge of my cockpit! That level of immersion is incomparable. I wanted to be a pilot in the RAF when I was really young, sadly my eyes were crap so it never could happen.

I also really enjoy flying the Huey - that's a lovely module. Just tooling around Dubai at low level is great fun.

I've also really enjoyed the ability to make my own skins (if only I can see them!) - my current favourite is a Hornet WWII RAF desert skin using PRU blue underbelly, with sand yellow and dark earth top. Having an 'in DCS' simple editor would be really nice.

Were ED to fail/go out of business that would be a large part of my hobby time spend and enjoyment lost, which is why I am so passionate about the downsides of the current model of EA and specifically F16/F18 interplay. I fear there is something fundamentally wrong if they are (as Nick said) predicated on EA modules to stay 'profitable' and the business model needs to change.

Last edited by Arctander; 11-09-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Arctander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:30 PM   #72
Viking 1-1

Arctander, I think we are all on the same page here.

As a kid I loved planes and played simulations like Strike Commander, Birds of Prey, Comanche and so on. But all of a sudden the military sims just died.

I found out by YouTube that there is something like DCS. And I'm so happy and thankfully that ED "reanimated" my, or let's better say, our hobby.

And while I agree that surely there's not everything perfect, I just think that all those complaining and whining threads are not making anything better. In fact, I believe that it takes time away from the actual development, because every time they want to fix something they have to react to this whining and change their plans. That for sure slows down the development as well.

I fully understand if people are impatience and they want to get the best out of their hobby, but complaining and even ranting (like some do) isn't making the problem any better.

Be here, be patient, report bugs if you find them and just be happy that ED is supporting a market that was dead already. At least that is my oppinion, whilst fully respecting yours.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:02 PM   #73
Arctander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 1-1 View Post

I fully understand if people are impatience and they want to get the best out of their hobby, but complaining and even ranting (like some do) isn't making the problem any better.

Be here, be patient, report bugs if you find them and just be happy that ED is supporting a market that was dead already. At least that is my oppinion, whilst fully respecting yours.
Thanks for the note. I agree we all want the best - I just think that without consumer pressure, my fear is that ED will not be 'forced' to improve/move with the times and consumer sentiment.

Look at Kodak. They INVENTED the Digital camera - but didn't invest in it to protect their film business. I fear that ED are entering their own 'Kodak' moment - and if the community that uses their product doesn't provide the impetus for them to improve, that they will sit on their laurels and in the end not make the business wide improvements required for them to prosper.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:32 PM   #74
MadMonty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctander View Post
Not sure why I would need to do that but ok...

DCS is the *ONLY* high fidelity Jet combat and Helo sim.

As to positives:

Arctander - you saved my day!!

Thank you very much for your wonderful post. It's nice to read how much fun you have with DCS. And I read many parallels.

I applied to the Luftwaffe, had top marks and a pilot's seat almost certainly, they noticed a heart defect and my life's dream burst. I had the chance to get my private pilot's license in early years, which is a lot of fun, but I am missing the A/A and the A/G mode in the Piper

My rig looks a bit like yours, although mine is by far not as well equipped as yours (only TM Warthog and MFD, old CH pedals that are changed at Christmas and Rift S). Imagine I just moved a few months ago and my big dream is a 6DoF platform. It just lacks time and money, but at some point I want to realize it.

And yes - I can totally understand one point with you. I myself have so little time (max. 1 evening per week) to play DCS and the worst thing that can happen is when something does not work. This refers to system- or hardware-related problems. As far as the airplanes are concerned, we are all free to fly those that work or are further developed. In this respect, it seems many of us want to protect the youngest babies of the developers...

Believe me or not, but you just collected an incredible amount of sympathy points from me. I take my hat off to you, especially that you showed us all how much fun you can have here. Great!

Thermaltake Core V1 | MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon | Intel I7700K | EVGA GTX 1080 TI SC | 32 GB RAM DDR4-3000 | Corsair H90 | 250 & 500 GB Samsung Evo850 SSD | WIN 10 64bit Pro | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | CH Pro Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Last edited by MadMonty; 11-09-2019 at 04:35 PM.
MadMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #75
BIGNEWY
ED Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctander View Post
Thanks for the note. I agree we all want the best - I just think that without consumer pressure, my fear is that ED will not be 'forced' to improve/move with the times and consumer sentiment.

Look at Kodak. They INVENTED the Digital camera - but didn't invest in it to protect their film business. I fear that ED are entering their own 'Kodak' moment - and if the community that uses their product doesn't provide the impetus for them to improve, that they will sit on their laurels and in the end not make the business wide improvements required for them to prosper.
Hi

We are well aware of the market, we also have a lot of community feedback, and we will adapt to make DCS the best it can be. Lots of improvement coming, but it will take time and hard work.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #76
Eaglewings

Quote:
Arctander - you saved my day!!

Thank you very much for your wonderful post. It's nice to read how much fun you have with DCS. And I read many parallels.

I applied to the Luftwaffe, had top marks and a pilot's seat almost certainly, they noticed a heart defect and my life's dream burst. I had the chance to get my private pilot's license in early years, which is a lot of fun, but I am missing the A/A and the A/G mode in the Piper

My rig looks a bit like yours, although mine is by far not as well equipped as yours (only TM Warthog and MFD, old CH pedals that are changed at Christmas and Rift S). Imagine I just moved a few months ago and my big dream is a 6DoF platform. It just lacks time and money, but at some point I want to realize it.

And yes - I can totally understand one point with you. I myself have so little time (max. 1 evening per week) to play DCS and the worst thing that can happen is when something does not work. This refers to system- or hardware-related problems. As far as the airplanes are concerned, we are all free to fly those that work or are further developed. In this respect, it seems many of us want to protect the youngest babies of the developers...

Believe me or not, but you just collected an incredible amount of sympathy points from me. I take my hat off to you, especially that you showed us all how much fun you can have here. Great!
Yeah I can see clearly his perspective and out of what his very direct and frequent criticisms are coming from. Deep passion.

This genre of flight sim is so rarely ventured into by software developers and Eagle dynamic being the only one providing us a good platform to enjoy this amazing hobby, they need our support in both constructive criticism and patronage.

We all have stake in their success and so should show understanding patience considering the intricate nature of software development on a scale like this but equally call out bad moves when they occur.

They are (Eagle dynamic) are doing fairly okay and I trust with time they will deliver on their promises and we all will be happier for it.

Cheers.

Edit: Eagle dynamic support for VR completely nailed it for me and I hope much improvement will come on this aspect too.

Last edited by Eaglewings; 11-09-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Eaglewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:32 PM   #77
Viking 1-1

Quote:
Arctander

Same here. First I thought you are just a typical "complainer", now I know you are just worried about the future of ED and our hobby.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:57 PM   #78
Arctander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNEWY View Post
Hi

....but it will take time and hard work.

Thanks
Thanks for the note BigNewy. This I think is the crux of the matter. It is all too easy for decision makers removed from the customer as time goes on for memories of missteps to fade, to take an easier road that doesn’t tackle the hard choices, and over time, unintentionally pressure to improve can fade, and it takes another shock to remember - and opportunity and time is lost.

Please continue to act internally to bring pressure to bear to tackle hard choices and really tackle community concerns to improve the ED internal processes, decisions and the end product we all love.

Thanks again.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:36 AM   #79
davebert

Default question on track file

Can a track file be made smaller with video editing software or some other way? The reason I ask is when we fly for 3-4 hours straight, that makes a large track file.
Thanks,
DB
davebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:11 AM   #80
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebert View Post
Can a track file be made smaller with video editing software or some other way? The reason I ask is when we fly for 3-4 hours straight, that makes a large track file.
Thanks,
DB
No, right now there is no way to edit the length of the tracks.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote