How bad do you want the multicrew updates?

fargo007

Yes, it's pretty urgent. I'm really looking forward to having a crew member with me that assists in navigation, comms and spotting the enemy.

The most important thing I hope it does is to serve as a bug-free basis for old and future multicrew modules. The Gazelle and the Kiowa, and later on the Bo-105 hopefully benefit from this, making multicrew (for helicopters) a well-established standard and not a very function-limited experience.

This is my most wanted feature for DCS and I'm not really a helo guy.

I really think having Huey multi crew and allowing side-gunner-only access for users that don't have the module would be a great way to get new people into DCS.

Imagine the same thing for B-25/B-17

I really think having Huey multi crew and allowing side-gunner-only access for users that don't have the module would be a great way to get new people into DCS.

None of the current multicrew-capable aircrafts (L39, C101 and F14) allows you to seat on them without owning the module, why that would change with the UH-1?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

None of the current multicrew-capable aircrafts (L39, C101 and F14) allows you to seat on them without owning the module, why that would change with the UH-1?

... "would be a great way to get new people into DCS."...

And that is a lost money possibility. Is like keeping the theme (wallpaper and music) of a plane in the main menu just for the ones who already payed. You don't need sales classes to see how wrong it is. Is like asking money to see adverts.

Put second seat as free so people are exposed to your module, let people choose the module theme so that they are exposed to it so they could be prone to buy it more.

And it is done by IL-2 with great success. You don't need to own maps or planes to join the matches and gunners.

And +1 for the OP

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

And that is a lost money possibility. Is like keeping the theme (wallpaper and music) of a plane in the main menu just for the ones who already payed. You don't need sales classes to see how wrong it is. Is like asking money to see adverts.

Put second seat as free so people are exposed to your module, let people choose the module theme so that they are exposed to it so they could be prone to buy it more.

And it is done by IL-2 with great success. You don't need to own maps or planes to join the matches and gunners.

And +1 for the OP

Consequently that would mean you'd get co-pilots flying with you who don't know how to operate/manage/fly the module. I don't want to give them a free ride, I need them to fight in that thing.

I want to rescue an injured person from the sea or mountain with my winch while my mate is driving the huey

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

... "would be a great way to get new people into DCS."...

Would be a great way of boring them to death and making them disconnect, more like :D

(That's if you're lucky... I'm already imagining the trolls/clueless players getting bored/frustrated and shooting at random stuff, depleting ammo and giving your position away, then giving you the "chill, it's just a game" attitude)

I play Red Orchestra 2 from time to time... there are multicrew slots for T34 and Panzer IV in some servers... suffice to say that all experienced tank commanders disable those multicrew slots as a rule.

Providing multicrew slots to newbies in games like Red Orchestra 2 is already a terrible idea... imagine how much worse it would be in a hardcore sim like DCS :cry:

Sure, some people enjoy being gunners in WW2 bombers and the like... but that's a minority within an already small minority.

Personally, I don't think the huey is fun/complex enough to be enjoyable in multicrew, but even if it were, I would still want to have control over who gets in my chopper.

Edited by Hardcard

Would be a great way of boring them to death and making them disconnect, more like :D

(That's if you're lucky... I'm already imagining the trolls/clueless players getting bored/frustrated and shooting at random stuff, depleting ammo and giving your position away, then giving you the "chill, it's just a game" attitude)

I play Red Orchestra 2 from time to time... there are multicrew slots for T34 and Panzer IV in some servers... suffice to say that all experienced tank commanders disable those multicrew slots as a rule.

Providing multicrew slots to newbies in games like Red Orchestra 2 is already a terrible idea... imagine how much worse it would be in a hardcore sim like DCS :cry:

Sure, some people enjoy being gunners in WW2 bombers and the like... but that's a minority within an already small minority.

Personally, I don't think the huey is fun/complex enough to be enjoyable in multicrew, but even if it were, I would still want to have control over who gets in my chopper.

The Huey being probably one of the hardest modules to learn from a hands and feet perspective, I think being able to have 2 pilots up front, with one providing demo/do instruction, would be great for new players trying to learn the module. Later, doing more complex missions with one guy flying, the other managing the radios, navigation, and flex sights will provide a lot of realism.

The gunner positions would be a lot of fun, but I don’t see a lot of depth there. I think the big improvement will come with having 2 pilots up front.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Definitely want multicrew in UH-1 to fly with friends or allow others to join when I would like. There are good examples out there on how to control or limit who joins your AC. I've not had any problems in that area in DCS World when flying my Gazelle multi since we join in the AC selection menu and then launch. On co-pilot and crew being bored... don't invite people to your AC that will get bored.... simple enough.

Everyone has a perspective and an opinion.. there's mine … Multi-crew UH-1.. yes please !

Semper Fi

AldoUSMC

Intel i7-6700 CPU @ 4 GHz, 32 GB Ram, GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Windows 10 Pro -64 Bit

The most fun I've ever had in a MP match EVER was in a Churchill tank in Post Scriptum recently, as the driver no less. We had 4 random people and coordinated teamwork (you have to have a headset to play that game) flawlessly. It has also been my WORST experience when you get some idiot that wants your position in the tank and will actually shoot you to get you out of it.

I want to be one of these people that actually knows someone (personally) that owns a desktop PC and would ever even consider DCS as a game worth playing. I must be in that age group (47) where nobody would ever consider a PC. Not one person in my entire office of 65 people, nobody in either mine or my wife's family, and none of our friends. I don't work or know anybody that works in PC or tech though, so that may be part of it. And forget my teen kids...they just laugh when I suggest something as complex as DCS.

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

Assuming the roadmap hasn't changed, will the UH-1H multi-crew be here today?

If the roadmap hasn't changed it should be in today's update as today will be the last May update and Huey multicrewing was announced for May.

However, I suspect the roadmap has changed :music_whistling:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I'm just curious on how they would implement the copilot controls. In the real thing, if the pilot moves the stick left, the copilot's stick also moves left (if I'm not mistaken).

If the pilot moves the stick left, and the copilot tries to move it tot he right, whoever is strongest gets their way.

But in multicrew, it's perfectly possible for the copilot to pull a hard left, and the pilot to pull hard right. Then who gets their way?

I guess one would need a "change control to player 2" sort of option.

But then theres the problem that when changing control, all the surfaces jump to the current position of player 2. This could cause some seriously weird maneuvers for the helo.

Anyway, sitting in back with the big dakka-dakka seems like a real niche activity; especially since you are doing nothing during the long transfer times.

malcheus,

For the short time we had access to the shared cockpit, it worked almost exactly as you pondered. Only one pilot has the ability to manipulate the controls at a time (this is fairly realistic). The other player cannot affect them. This appeared to apply only to the cyclic, pedals, collective, and twist throttle. Everything else could be manipulated by either pilot.

Changing control involved a keyboard command (and sometimes a prompt window). There was a control jump, but that wasn't that bad. In my experience the issue was that the entire helicopter would abruptly turn 90° at the moment of control change!

If the two pilots controls weren't synced enough during the change of control, and the new flying pilot was too aggressive in the correction, it was possible for the rotor to snap off.

Much hilarity was had as this was discovered. Quickly the process went surprisingly smoothly.

Doesn't the L-39 Albatros has a synced stick as well between both pilots?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Doesn't the L-39 Albatros has a synced stick as well between both pilots?

Probably; I assume all planes with two sticks have them synchronised in the real world. But with fixed-wings it's much easier to change control than with helicopters; you could just trim the aircraft so it needs no input, and then switch control. The only thing is the throttle, but abruptly going from 90% to 30% throttle isn't a big deal.

In helicopters, abruptly going from 90% collective deflection to 30% will really upset the flight dynamics.

Or the other way around, abruptly increasing the collective in a mil8 will cause both generators to fail, disabling several important systems.

For the short time we had access to the shared cockpit, it worked almost exactly as you pondered. Only one pilot has the ability to manipulate the controls at a time (this is fairly realistic). The other player cannot affect them. This appeared to apply only to the cyclic, pedals, collective, and twist throttle. Everything else could be manipulated by either pilot.

Changing control involved a keyboard command (and sometimes a prompt window). There was a control jump, but that wasn't that bad. In my experience the issue was that the entire helicopter would abruptly turn 90° at the moment of control change!

Out of sync was the Heading information.

Example.

When main pilot control to turn to HDG 90° and switch to copilot control, HDG jump to initaial value.

With back to main pilot control after copilot controls HDG to 180°, HDG revert to HDG 90°.

Repeat the above.

In addition, there is a problem that the synchronization is broken when using the sighting device.

But If we don't use sight, synchronization of almost system was good.

It raised my expectations.

Probably; I assume all planes with two sticks have them synchronised in the real world. But with fixed-wings it's much easier to change control than with helicopters; you could just trim the aircraft so it needs no input, and then switch control. The only thing is the throttle, but abruptly going from 90% to 30% throttle isn't a big deal.

In helicopters, abruptly going from 90% collective deflection to 30% will really upset the flight dynamics.

Or the other way around, abruptly increasing the collective in a mil8 will cause both generators to fail, disabling several important systems.

Right, I forgot about the collective and throttle :doh:

I was just thinking about the stick/cyclic, which is trimmable in the Huey as well :music_whistling:

Tornado3 small.jpg