14th FS, WW 90-808 -Ultra Weathered- "BOB"

Ala12Rv-watermanpc

Thanks all guys!!, I will try to update the skin with the missing logos in hte laterals of hte air intake. DonJosh and I are trying to find them, just one missing in the right side of hte plane...if some of you know what they are please post them here. Thanks!!

@watermanpc:

As a member of the 14th vfs samurais, I have a little request, canI pm you and we ralk there?

Sure, please feel free!

Take a look at my MODS here

Update to v1.1 alredy available.

v1.1:

-Added the missing logos over air intake sides (special thanks to DonJosh and his wife for helping me with this)

-Minor adjustments and added some little pieces detailed weathering like EPU exhaust.

***To install update, simply drop the folder over the old one and override.

bTis86D.jpg

6SNtHkt.jpg

Bye!!

Edited by watermanpc

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The story of BOB.

In summer 2003, aircraft 90-0808 deployed from Misawa AB, Japan with the 13th Fighter Squadron to Prince Sultan airbase for Operation Southern Watch. B0B was one of eight aircraft deployed by Misawa (rainbowed between 13th and 14th FS jets) At that time, B0B displayed the red tailflash of the 13th FS. Fast forward to the fall months The 13th was relieved by personnel from the 14th FS (including myself). B0B was now maintained by an Airmen First Class crew chief named Magner. The two formed a relationship. Soon, Magner decided that the red tail flash just wouldn't do. He "obtained" the necessary materials (yellow tape) and carefully covered all red. B0B was now an official 14th FS Samurai. Another modification (since removed) squared the edges of each "8" on the tail flash making it read B0B. Soon after, Iraqi Freedom began. BOB and Magner performed well together. Day after day, BOB would kill a SAM or bomb a troop concentration only to return to his caretaker (or me when he was really broke) for repairs.

Upon return to Japan, BOB was officially traded to the 14th FS. He had flown in combat as a yellow tail and earned the right to wear it forever more.

Thanks for doing this tail. BOB will always have a special place with me. I'll never forget how much effort Magner put into that silly jet. He got out soon after the war. I sit here many years later (still in the USAF) and the memories are clear as ever thanks to this skin.

What a beautiful story sir!!, thanks for sharing it with us, and for the nice words about the skin. I'm sooo glad it could make you remember the good times with it!:) For me, it is an honour to be able to bring all these memories with this work so it makes the effort useful and makes me feel it was worth it.

Again, thanks for sharing your beautiful story with this very special unit, really appreciated!!:)

It has been a very special work for me too, I will never be able to be close this amazing plane, but after all the work I put into this skin, I also feel a nice connection with it, and if the Viper is my beloved fighter aircraft of all times, this "BOB" unit has become a very special plane for me, so it has a special place for me too.

Please, enjoy it and hope it can bring even more memories!!:smilewink:

The story of BOB.

In summer 2003, aircraft 90-0808 deployed from Misawa AB, Japan with the 13th Fighter Squadron to Prince Sultan airbase for Operation Southern Watch. B0B was one of eight aircraft deployed by Misawa (rainbowed between 13th and 14th FS jets) At that time, B0B displayed the red tailflash of the 13th FS. Fast forward to the fall months The 13th was relieved by personnel from the 14th FS (including myself). B0B was now maintained by an Airmen First Class crew chief named Magner. The two formed a relationship. Soon, Magner decided that the red tail flash just wouldn't do. He "obtained" the necessary materials (yellow tape) and carefully covered all red. B0B was now an official 14th FS Samurai. Another modification (since removed) squared the edges of each "8" on the tail flash making it read B0B. Soon after, Iraqi Freedom began. BOB and Magner performed well together. Day after day, BOB would kill a SAM or bomb a troop concentration only to return to his caretaker (or me when he was really broke) for repairs.

Upon return to Japan, BOB was officially traded to the 14th FS. He had flown in combat as a yellow tail and earned the right to wear it forever more.

Thanks for doing this tail. BOB will always have a special place with me. I'll never forget how much effort Magner put into that silly jet. He got out soon after the war. I sit here many years later (still in the USAF) and the memories are clear as ever thanks to this skin.

Edited by watermanpc

The story of BOB.

Awesome story! going to remember it until the end of my life. Thank you for sharing with us and i wish you the best.

F.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

• 2 months later...

First, amazing work, thank you so much for sharing with all of us.

One question:

I was trying to open your files to get a better look and it seems DXTBMP will not open the .DDS files. DXTBMP recognizes it and opens but there is nothing there. I haven't had issues with other repaints so it seems something you did with formating might have changed things?

Any ideas?

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10

First, amazing work, thank you so much for sharing with all of us.

One question:

I was trying to open your files to get a better look and it seems DXTBMP will not open the .DDS files. DXTBMP recognizes it and opens but there is nothing there. I haven't had issues with other repaints so it seems something you did with formating might have changed things?

Any ideas?

I didn't made anything special to the files, open them with PS, they will surely work.

yeah for some reason dxt.bmp and Gimp 2 with the DDS plugin wouldn't open the file however Paint.net did. I was reading that sometimes certain files when saved by PS can cause issues and I guess this might have something to do with it.

Either way I am in high cotton now, thanks again for your hard work and sharing.

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10

yeah for some reason dxt.bmp and Gimp 2 with the DDS plugin wouldn't open the file however Paint.net did. I was reading that sometimes certain files when saved by PS can cause issues and I guess this might have something to do with it.

Either way I am in high cotton now, thanks again for your hard work and sharing.

This has to be the best viper skin around. Geat work!

thanks both!:)

• Like 1