New engine sound ?

River

I just tried the new 109, and I was blown away. It has become ALIVE! It's now the beast it really is, the new sound is just perfect. The throaty roar with the whine of the turbo charger...I absolutely love it. WELL DONE!

The only thing is, it seems to sound the same with the canopy open and closed. Not that I fly with the canopy open very often :D

• ED Team

Dear all, many thanks. I'm glad you like it)

The only thing is, it seems to sound the same with the canopy open and closed. Not that I fly with the canopy open very often :D

I need to wait until one core engine bug is fixed to make sure that external sounds get into the cockpit correctly. For now yes, there are problems, not only in Messerschmidt. Then i will handle with this

Best regards,

Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)

btd great work man, it literally brings new amazing life to these Warbirds, be proud and ya we understand the core is being changed and updated so it will only get better:thumbup:

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

BTD, there might be a little problem with how whistle sound works with doppler effect in DCS at certain distance from "camera". It's easy to reproduce in Caucasus Instant "Cold Start" mission. When the first AI 109 flies over player's plane, its whisle sound fades in and out correctly (smoothly). However, when the second one flies over, about 35 seconds from the beginning of the mission, its whistle sound pulsates in a strange way instead of being smooth. I haven't checked what the difference between first and second AI plane is (speed, altitude?), but whatever it is, it causes this little sound glitch.

I know in most circumstances players won't notice it in their usual missions, but I wanted to share this observation.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Still same issue with sound level correlation with engine rpm and MP.

Bf 109 if you cruise at 1.0 ATA engine rpm drops to 1500 rpm engine level sound is very low. only you can hear is whistle. Most of bf109 flying at power levels around 1.0 ATA and they sounds much different.

In case of constant props like p-51/spit you can cut your engine out and engine sound still is loud as it was in full power because rpm are high. This bothers me. At the same time looks like hard thing to solve.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Thanks for your report. I'll check it. If it is possible, please attach the track.

Oh, one just has to look up and listen to the whistle of the second airplane flying over in this mission. Track attached.

I think the glitch might be result of:

a) interference between sounds of the first and second airplane, or;

b) the second plane "skipping" in the air a couple of times (AI units with their simplified flight models tend to behave strange sometimes) and whistle sound adjusting to every skip. Nothing you can do about it I suppose, but again, it's not a serious issue.

whistle_test.trk

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• ED Team
Still same issue with sound level correlation with engine rpm and MP.

Bf 109 if you cruise at 1.0 ATA engine rpm drops to 1500 rpm engine level sound is very low. only you can hear is whistle. Most of bf109 flying at power levels around 1.0 ATA and they sounds much different.

In case of constant props like p-51/spit you can cut your engine out and engine sound still is loud as it was in full power because rpm are high. This bothers me. At the same time looks like hard thing to solve.

Please record a video: 5 s flight at 1500/1ata then cut off both magnetos, 2 seconds and then return ignition back for 3 seconds

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Please record a video: 5 s flight at 1500/1ata then cut off both magnetos, 2 seconds and then return ignition back for 3 seconds

No point bf 109 is not constant speed so after magnetos off rpm will drop and sound will drop too.

This trick works only with constant speed, cut magnetos no change in rpm = no change in sound

Outside sound ofc, not cockpit

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• ED Team

No, 109 for my version reacts with sound very fast at constant 1500 with noticable disapperaing of exhaust sound.

And Bf 109 do have constant speed prop...

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

No, 109 for my version reacts with sound very fast at constant 1500 with noticable disapperaing of exhaust sound.

And Bf 109 do have constant speed prop...

Not exactly the same as in p-51 or spitfire. you cant drop throttle and stay high at high rpm.

Yo-Yo, as graf pointed out, disappearing of exhaust sound works OK in 109, but doesn't seem to happen in Spit and Mustang, neither with engine being turned off by mixture lever, nor by magnetos. We're just curious why. But we're getting a bit off-topic in this section of the forum.

• ED Team
Not exactly the same as in p-51 or spitfire. you cant drop throttle and stay high at high rpm.

You have this funny small lever for magnetos... :)

I can't stop flying the 109 since the last update. Thanks again for the sound revamp, it makes a huge difference!

Agreed. I wasn’t really in to ww2 birds only ever bought the spit, but after listening to the BF 109 fly past in the stay at home video I couldn’t resist.

If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough.

Flying K-4 or listening to other K-4 flying near is just a blast for me now :)

I hope that that D-9 will got this upgrade someday, major issue is that there is no jumo 213 engine running life in the world right now

• 2 months later...

Yea there is definitely problem with Bf-109 Engine sound etc, There is noise coming from engine turbo is something which is too loud that feel bad in mixing, We can't hear engine good reminds me the sound of Spitfire and Mustang (Bf109 is absolute different big engine) So i prefer update the sound of engine, propeller and external sound of this warbird...

Edited by AliPG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yea there is definitely problem with Bf-109 Engine sound etc, There is noise coming from engine turbo is something which is too loud that feel bad in mixing, We can't hear engine good reminds me the sound of Spitfire and Mustang (Bf109 is absolute different big engine) So i prefer update the sound of engine, propeller and external sound of this warbird...

The DB605 that powers the 109 is supercharged and it is very loud in real life as well.

The original in cockpit sound is in following video, ED should get idea from it. It sound incredible bass and true. Good sound naturally increase immersion also there is Viberation problem as well in warbirds, They don't give true feedback of engine (Although engine is entire plane) so... In real Bf-109 it sound big, it is one of biggest engine (bigger than mustang and spitefire) it should have big sound. You can analyse sound in following video, When he is taking off you can hear brutal sound of low pitch propeller it is so unbelievable low rpm and low pitch sound.

BF-109 Original Cockpit Sound

${1}

Edited by AliPG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

It’s great that you registered on the forum specifically to discuss this issue.

Be sure to always keep in mind that when viewing a video from a camera such as GoPro on YouTube, you get not quite the right information. Camera records sound with low-frequency vibration from the cab, which the ear will not hear. The camera has a compressor that distorts the sound level. The camera has a level limit that the microphone can record without distortion. And it is quite small.

What piston planes have you flown in life?

Best regards,

Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)

• 4 months later...

Big thanks for the new sounds from me too, superb job! Fly-by's are lovely now :thumbup: No need for sound mods anymore.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]