How to choose best TGP camera option for the job?

Eldur

The contrasts are literally non-existant. I took some screenshot, well, I tried to. Apparently DCS isn't able to take them anymore on PrtScrn. And since Windows 10 simply sucks, none of my other tools I used to use are able to take screenshots anymore either, they just return a completely black image. So I can't provide those and this is not in bug reports. But it's least to say I can't make out anything really on the TGP in IR BHOT or WHOT modes, it's even better in plain TV mode.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Hm, worked fine for me yesterday(VR). That was in DCS default weather and daylight, testing TGP/Mav in the F-16 over Syria map. Also my PrtScrn function for screenshots works, i reported a LoD bug for the Mirage after the last OB update and took two screenshots with that key(tab + control+v to paste into paint.net).

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Yeah, TGP contrast is the worst of all Lighting equipped aircraft, since the previous beta everything is grayish gray.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Here is a link with a track replay showing this issue

Through_The_Inferno_CCS_v1.0.63-20200925-203823.trk - 57.8 MB

Its the second flight i took, with GBU-12's loaded.

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

TGP never been so difficult

Iv been using DCS for years iv never been so hopeless learning something like the TGP in the f-16 ..i just cant get anything working right .

iv seen so many tutorials but nothing works like in the tutorials.

the RDR cursor moves so fast i cant get it on any target.

the RDR cursor doesn't doesn't move when the SOI is on the TGP it only move when the SOI is on the HUD.

the TMS doesn't work like in tutorials.

is it a bug?

Iv been using DCS for years iv never been so hopeless learning something like the TGP in the f-16 ..i just cant get anything working right .

the RDR cursor moves so fast i cant get it on any target.

the RDR cursor doesn't doesn't move when the SOI is on the TGP it only move when the SOI is on the HUD.

the TMS doesn't work like in tutorials.

is it a bug?

SO, use the TDC Up/Down/Left/Right HOTAS controls as i find that simpler for slewing.

In TGP SOI page, TMS FWD Short to enter a tracking mode (Area first), that will allow you to slew the pod.

TMS FWD changes tracking mode. TMS AFT Short performs a CZ function

TMS Left will change TV/WHOT/BHOT

Hope this helps

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I’m with you abbod31. I just can’t seem to wrap my head around it, or any of the Mavericks in general.

Slewing with a mini-stick is near impossible with any precision. The curser on the FCR works just fine for me. It’s the same plane, I don’t get it? You would think with it being the same controller that they would work identically.

I can't even find the power up switch for the Targeting pod :cry:

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

I can't even find the power up switch for the Targeting pod :cry:

Right HDPT on the SNSR PWR panel that is just right of the side stick, flip that on to power the chin mount for the TGP.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Thanks Panther!!!

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
The contrasts are literally non-existant. I took some screenshot, well, I tried to. Apparently DCS isn't able to take them anymore on PrtScrn. And since Windows 10 simply sucks, none of my other tools I used to use are able to take screenshots anymore either, they just return a completely black image. So I can't provide those and this is not in bug reports. But it's least to say I can't make out anything really on the TGP in IR BHOT or WHOT modes, it's even better in plain TV mode.

Hi Eldur,

We are not seeing an issue, you just need to select the right camera type for the job and adjust contrast and brightness at times, IR BH or WH are much better than CCD/TV.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I’m with you abbod31. I just can’t seem to wrap my head around it, or any of the Mavericks in general.

Slewing with a mini-stick is near impossible with any precision. The curser on the FCR works just fine for me. It’s the same plane, I don’t get it? You would think with it being the same controller that they would work identically.

Yep I'm wondering the same, FCR cursor and the one on HARM is great but TGP or Maverick, well any kind of TV is a different story.

Its the same with Hornet optical sensors.

Yeah, TGP contrast is the worst of all Lighting equipped aircraft, since the previous beta everything is grayish gray.

That's exactly my problem. The contrasts generated by the auto function are useless. Usually I slew my TGP onto something that might look like a target and then it changes, literally fading away all the contrast it had just before. But I never managed to get a decent setting manually either.

And it all was daytime, somwhere around 1400-1600, clear skies.

BTW Taking Screenshots works again after that session. Don't know what went wrong there. Still miss my Fraps though. And Dxtory doesn't work either. For other games I'm literally stuck with the Windows Game Bar at the moment unless they have an own screenshot function.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

That's exactly my problem. The contrasts generated by the auto function are useless. Usually I slew my TGP onto something that might look like a target and then it changes, literally fading away all the contrast it had just before. But I never managed to get a decent setting manually either.

And it all was daytime, somwhere around 1400-1600, clear skies.

BTW Taking Screenshots works again after that session. Don't know what went wrong there. Still miss my Fraps though. And Dxtory doesn't work either. For other games I'm literally stuck with the Windows Game Bar at the moment unless they have an own screenshot function.

Auto gain right now seems like it doesn't exist. It's more like a preset gain level atm. However when manually adjusting the gain I can get a pretty decent picture, comparable to the a10.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally I've come across some footage of my issue and as I haven't been able to screenshot it myself (probably a facebook - since it's not Oculus anymore - problem, or just an Win 10 Early Access issue as usual), I'll just drop it in here from Mover's YouTube vids on the A-10C II which does have the exact same issue. Check the comments with time codes below (also in the Tube comments, somewhere deep down probably). And I do stand with my original thread title that has been redacted (and totally does not even remotely reflect my post at all, it should be like "TGP contrasts blanking/blacking out after weapon impacts", my original one was a bit too harsh I admit): With that issue, the TGP is close to unusable for me. BTW I've never seen this on pancake, but it does happen in VR everytime.

12:23 Finally I see someone else having that issue with the TGP going black after an impact. Having this in DCS for a while now, seen in both F-16 and A-10C II, but others weren't able to reproduce it yet. Also, looking at the general area where the impact happened, the contrasts are very lacking when the TGP does show something at all, and it's extremely washed out, as seen at 13:12 when you zoom the thing in and at 17:54 when you zoom out and then in again. 18:34 has the black screen again, followed by the washed out image. I agree it looks cool to some extennt, but usually it makes seeing things impossible the way it is right now. 24:58 does show it as well. This is a massive issue for me ATM and it only happens in VR. All this does not happen at all in pancake mode.

4:08 Again that issue... (I'll write that down here so it can be tracked as I'm gonna report this) 5:28 as well, 17:35 on the Mav screen also, as well as 18:42

I do hope that clarifies a bit what I intended to show up initially where I totally sucked at.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg