is the Viggen useful online?

conura

Hey guys,

I own the Viggen now and I'm about to start learning it. I know I'm not going to be loitering like the A10, performing CAP like the F-16 etc, but I'm very interested in employing the Viggen against single targets on servers like Hoggit and Blueflag.

Is it possible to set up targets and input them into the flight computer online or do these things need to be added via the mission editor outside of the sim, therefore meaning I can't do much with the viggen online?

Unfortunately most online missions don't really put the Viggen to good use and let it shine in its premier role (Interdiction Strike). I have high hopes that this might change when the Dynamic Campaign arrives.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

99% of the sever will not have exact target way points in for you

online you dont get the mission planner so you can do it your self

you should be able to punch the target WP in manually in the jet if you can get the cords off the map not all of them will have a way for you to do that (fog of war)

Yeah it really depends on the server. GAW where you can pull coords is pretty strightforward. Other servers not so much.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Why has no one mentioned F10 marks on the map and importing them into the data cartridge?

Failing that you can just punch them in manually.

Viggen excels at high speed interdiction with single strike passes in the right hands. Its speed is its defence.

Some of the most exhilarating virtual strike missions are by the Viggen, and certainly alot more skill than just lobbing JSOW's and JDAMS' from 30+ miles away which allows poor virtual pilots the ability to strike any targets from stand off.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Its also still the best platform of any aircraft in game for Maritime Strike sorties.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

- It was designed to Kill SHIPS. it does better thna any other.

- It´s abeautifull work of art of a module.

- You can fly recon, mark targets, go back rearm, bring hell to them. (You can create your own Waypoint via F 10 using your own intel of other...).

So YES, unless you are looking for Air Quake...

Then you would never apreciate one of the 3 top modules of DCS.

- You can fly recon, mark targets, go back rearm, bring hell to them. (You can create your own Waypoint via F 10 using your own intel of other...).

How exactly would you do that? I mean you still have to know the general location of some targets, and then you need to fly there without getting shot down (Not easy) but Im more interested in this last part, marking a target so you can come back for a strike. How do you do that?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Blueflag PG, join blue team.

They desperately need viggen pilots to deal with red ships.

Did so in the past, was a pleasure to blast the enemy ships.

I can really suggest this kind of mission, which the Viggen was initially made for (beside some other roles).

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Its a damn good a2a fighter too. The Terminator (rb75) will still continue to its locked target no matter the distance, turns or maneuvers the enemy plane will make. If you can get behind em and get the 75 to lock, its a guaranteed kill.

TJ

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Its a damn good a2a fighter too. The Terminator ( rb75)will still continue to its locked target no matter the distance, turns or maneuvers the enemy plane will make. If you can get behind em and get the 75 to lock, its a guaranteed kill.

TJ

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Nothing like Meta play and exploiting the system, why would anyone encourage using an A2G missile for A2A.

Play the game as intended, not meta it and cheat.

DCS & BMS

Nothing like Meta play and exploiting the system, why would anyone encourage using an A2G missile for A2A.

Play the game as intended, not meta it and cheat.

Yeah, it would be great if Heatblur would fix this issue. It's been around for way too long... :(

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Why has no one mentioned F10 marks on the map and importing them into the data cartridge?

Failing that you can just punch them in manually.

Viggen excels at high speed interdiction with single strike passes in the right hands. Its speed is its defence.

Some of the most exhilarating virtual strike missions are by the Viggen, and certainly alot more skill than just lobbing JSOW's and JDAMS' from 30+ miles away which allows poor virtual pilots the ability to strike any targets from stand off.

The marks are totally irrelevant if you dont have a f10 map populated with enemy targets. Which most hardcore servers don't.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 3 weeks later...
Hey guys,

Is it possible to set up targets and input them into the flight computer online or do these things need to be added via the mission editor outside of the sim, therefore meaning I can't do much with the viggen online?

Yes, it is possible. As mentioned already you can create waypoints and target points on the F10 map when playing online. You do that on the ground before startup. A data cartridge with your waypoints can be selected via the kneeboard and then entered into the cartridge slot at startup.

As others mentioned, on some servers targets are not displayed on the map, then it's not easy/useful, of course.

Take a look to Chuck's Viggen Guide it describes how this is done and also some simple use-cases of setting and "adjusting" target points via radar for some weapons like the RB-15. E.g. you can really create waypoints Bx6 to Bx9 of the RB-15 on the F10 map and load them via cartridge. When approaching the target you can adjust the target points Bx7 and Bx8 using the radar.

Chuck's Guide also describes recon missions with the U22/A ECM pod and gives a link to a nice tool (ELINT map) enabling you to display the results in OpenStreetMap.

If you want to fully understand how navigation and waypoints work in detail, you need to read the normal manual provided by HeatBlur.

If you are looking for strike rather than anti-ship, there is too few servers (at least in my eyes)

There were some Swedish guys with a server called 'RED Sands' or something like that, in the Persian Gulf.

It is missing for while now, but there is a new one I discovered 2 days ago.

Something like -=Red strike=- or similar, also based in Sweden and plays the new Syria map.

They have some pretty nice strike targets around.

The Factorys on 'Blue Flag' Syria are also nice to strike, you need a couple of passes though if you are alone.

Apart from that it's mostly CAS style servers/missions around.

Alias in Discord: Mailman

I think it’s attack style, ie in, Big Bang and then out again works well within a multiplayer aspect as it reduces the dangers associated with loitering around.

Making it for that, it’s not really going to be able to compete with the newer aircraft in A2A.

If you can find a server with some date related restrictions on weapons, then I think that it can really shine.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

For PVE the Viggen is probably the best wild weasel platform out there. I'm not sure how effective the ECM pod is, but the countermeasure pod can carry a crazy amount of chaff and flare. Along with being fast, maneuverable, and a small target, it's very good at the job.

Its only downside is the RWR. It takes some time to get used to ID all of the different tones :music_whistling:

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

The biggest problem is that mission designers in dcs consider only tanks and vehicles as targets so very few servers with troop staging areas or factories that you can obliterate. This is a situation engraved by years of only having an a10 and a ka50 to fly with and honestly makes a lot of missions feel like arcade shooting galleries.

When people actually built realistic missions the viggen is an absolute joy to obliterate targets with. It is the best antiship platform, its BK90s devastate everything they hit and the heavy mavs are good against anything.

But what matters most to me is the rush you get down low and blazing fast. NOTHING comes or will come close.....

Hey guys,

I own the Viggen now and I'm about to start learning it. I know I'm not going to be loitering like the A10, performing CAP like the F-16 etc, but I'm very interested in employing the Viggen against single targets on servers like Hoggit and Blueflag.

The real question is: is the online really useful?

Edited by Expert