AUTO CCRP bombing mode very inaccurate in training mission.

DmitriKozlowsky

I am finding AUTO bombing mode with MK-82 LD and HD to be inaccurate. At least inside Instant Action bombing mission in NTTR. The target is selected and designated with TDC in DMT. SMC is set to 2X MK-82 either LD or HD and fuse as desired. Then follow the que line. Once the I see H-Bar travel down bomb line, I hold down weapon release for consent, and hold aircraft steady, until weapon release. However weapons miss by a amount large enough not to be recorded as hits. CCIP seems much more accurate provided that release button is pressed 1/3-1/2 second prior to desired release.

ARBS is supposed to be very accurate in daytime with DMT designated target. Below is a period film on ARBS.

P.S. SU-25T and KA-50 ARBIS appear to work in similar function with unguided bombs. I wonder if that is not Russian variant of American ARBS, as interpreted by ED.

Edited by DmitriKozlowsky

Dive-bombing is always going to be more accurate than straight-and-level bombing with unguided bombs. I don't know where you got the idea that CCIP is supposed to be a "backup," or that CCRP is the preferred delivery method for unguided bombs.

CCIP CR allows for shallower dive angles when carrying out a delivery, that's it. If your dive angle is such that you have a solid PBIL (the point of impact is within the HUD FOV) then CR mode is irrelevant and not used. CCIP CR only comes into play it situations where the point of impact is below the HUD FOV therefore giving you a dashed PBIL.

Without CCIP CR enabled a dashed PBIL would preclude weapon release, CCIP CR simply allows you to use the CCIP Pipper to designate the point you want the weapons to impact (by pressing and holding the pickle button) when the CCIP Pipper (held at the bottom of the HUD when CCIP CR is in use) is over the desired point of aim. Essentially the system switches from CCIP to CCRP when a point is designated.

A straight CCIP delivery is always preferable when practical as it's the most accurate method of delivering unguided munitions (there is no aiming error, the bombs will hit where the IFFCC says they will).

Next in line is CCIP 5 mil. In CCIP 5 mil the IFFCC will allow weapon release with up to 5 Mils of aiming error from the designated target.

CCIP CR 3/9 is potentially the least accurate of the CCIP deliveries as the IFFCC will allow weapon release even if the aircraft attitude/heading is such that the weapons will miss the designated target point by a large distance.

CCRP is the least accurate method of delivering dumb munitions as it combines the error margins of CCIP CR 5 Mil & 3/9 (depending on the weapon released), greater wind drift (due to the longer weapon Time of Flight caused by a level or loft delivery) and a higher potential for aiming error and inaccurate target designation.

From Here. This mentions A-10C symbology, but CCRP/CCIP are the same delivery methods regardless of airframe.

Edited by Nealius

Even in auto, you still want to dive bomb. A "level lay" is not preferred as it is less accurate. With guided munitions, yes it is perfectly acceptable. But you still want to dive bomb to give the seeker on the weapon a better chance at seeing the designator. (Think Maverick)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

Looking at RW Marine AV-8Bs and F/A-18C training at TwentyNine Palms MCAGCC, they appear to be moving fast and low, estimate between 300-500 ft. AGL at release. The MK-82HD, Snakeeyes, and baloote retardation fall quite nicely and accurately. I am not a fan of diving in AV-8B so far. THe CCIP for MK, ZUNI, FFAR, and gun is above , in level flight, of flight path marker. Fastest way to designate wi/o TPOD, is by putting flight path indicator on or near target, designate via DMT TV, which then gives us TDC box. So if I designate in a shallow dive, I then have increase dive angle to bring CCIP pipper on tgt and wait for range indicator que for firing solution. This forces me to either begin rolling onto , undesignated tgt, from higher alt , or cut my burst or salvo , in order to BREAK X escape. Or my A/C is turned into a large TVMAV weapon, if I do not.

However, looking at older films of Marine A-4M and AV-8A from 1970's, aircraft are in a shallow 5 deg dive.