VKB-Sim MCG. Questions. Answers. Advice.

UIV

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was mentioned that they're shipping a container full of GF+MCG's from China in the middle of January. That means it should probably make it to Europe by mid- late Feb, so probably we'll have it by March. A bit too long wait, if you ask me :)

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

OK, so now have to locate as much info as possible for programming.

I did read some articles earlier and will search them out.

Does anyone know how to have TM Target Script ignore the WH joystick? I think I can write that into the header but it doesn't hurt to ask you guys if someone has done it successfully and left the TM Throttle active.

The MCG-pro is very accurate and I will give it a whirl for a bit but my initial feeling was to up the springs to 30 lbs because of the transfer from the WH which is very heavy in comparison.

Thanks,

Cats . . .

I noticed that the left analog slew on my MCG pro registers as an analog axis (as expected), but also as button presses in the DCS config. Is that expected? I haven't seen anyone mention that yet....

Both mini-sticks are possible to be binded as axis or as button.

That I haven't read that do you need to switch between the mode by pressing the hat or not, or is it just that you enable it either one.

But your report about being both makes totally sense, as why to make thing complicated when all that you as an user need to do, is to avoid binding it both same time.

That is the great thing with the MCG, that you have two hats that you can choose to be either buttons or axis.

Read the original post about how the both hats are different. The other is with linear motion and other has a acceleration.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I am still trying to figure out what in the world I could bind all of these axes and buttons to in the Harrier (or Hornet or Tomcat in the future)...anyone mind to share their plans? I feel like if I go with a MCG I am going to end up with a bunch of unused buttons, considering the real HOTAS mapping of a Harrier/Hornet/Tomcat requires significantly less axes/buttons.

The only thing I can think of is adding, outside of the actual functions mapped to the real sticks, are a Kneeboard On/Off with a Kneeboard Pg Up and Pg Down -- most likely on the index finger 5-way. Other than that, I am drawing blanks.

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I have a issue with my left arm so I plan on binding as much as possible. One thing in particular is the ability to flip switches on/off in vr. As well as modes and countermeasures. Vox could be another option. I'm thinking about redoing the old x36 throttle I have with a Leo board and put the switches exactly where I have some dexterity.

I can see the buttons being a little overwhelming for sure. Although I like the 4 way hat with button on every axis. It would be nice to disable the button on some of them( guess you could just not assign them).

• Like 1

| 8700k @4.9 | Gigabyte Gaming 7 | 32gb Tridentz @3000 | EVGA 1080 TI SC2 | CV1 | VKB MCG PRO

[sigpic]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FeLGqKyJ3K08k3z-7XaegWgRuGRGkKUs/view?usp=sharing[/sigpic]

I am still trying to figure out what in the world I could bind all of these axes and buttons to in the Harrier (or Hornet or Tomcat in the future)...anyone mind to share their plans? I feel like if I go with a MCG I am going to end up with a bunch of unused buttons, considering the real HOTAS mapping of a Harrier/Hornet/Tomcat requires significantly less axes/buttons.

The only thing I can think of is adding, outside of the actual functions mapped to the real sticks, are a Kneeboard On/Off with a Kneeboard Pg Up and Pg Down -- most likely on the index finger 5-way. Other than that, I am drawing blanks.

Kneeboard controls, as you say, are the big ones. Not just on/off, but page forward/back.

But apart from that, there are the "sim/game" controls that we need to account for the fact that we are, in fact, in a sim/game:

-- crew commands (ROE, burst, autopilot, etc.)

-- VR/TrackIR commands (zoom, recenter)

-- control indicators on/off

-- radio menu manipulation

-- F10 map view and manipulation (zoom/unzoom, center on A/C etc.)

Then there are secondary controls of the "other" seat, e.g., the weapons operator on the Gazelle. If you are playing SP or true multicrew is not supported, then instead of switching seats you can manipulate those controls from the primary seat if properly mapped. Again, this is a concession to the sim/game nature: in RL, someone else is sitting there to do it, but if you want to fly the a/c AND aim and launch in the sim the only way to do it now is to have controls mapped so that you can manipulate them as pilot or otherwise while flying.

Then there are actual controls that might be difficult to reach/see even if clickable due to limitations of the physical interface. E.g., I find that even with VR, switches close to the side/behind and below are difficult. In real life you could just reach down and flip/manipulate without thinking twice. But in VR you have to bring it in to the center of your FOV, which is not always easy.

Kneeboard controls, as you say, are the big ones. Not just on/off, but page forward/back.

But apart from that, there are the "sim/game" controls that we need to account for the fact that we are, in fact, in a sim/game:

-- crew commands (ROE, burst, autopilot, etc.)

-- VR/TrackIR commands (zoom, recenter)

-- control indicators on/off

-- radio menu manipulation

-- F10 map view and manipulation (zoom/unzoom, center on A/C etc.)

Regarding the F10 map stuff, am I correct in assuming that you plan to use the Sony analog stick (on the left side) to navigate the F10 menu ruler, etc, instead of the mouse? I debated that too, but determined that I don't mind (and feel I would be more time efficient by) pulling my hand off the stick to get my bearings/distance/SA really quickly...after all, I don't really gain much by having my hand on the stick when F10 is up and I can't see where I am flying anyway, haha (I've died far more times than I'd like to admit when buried into F10 bearing calcs, etc). I guess I am just looking to understand a bit more your thoughts on the benefits here?

For VR zoom, I need that to be bound on my throttle hand...why? Because I like to zoom in on my target (air or ground) before firing and I need my right hand thumb to be free to press the pickle/fire/weapon release button to achieve a zoomed in firing solution. So for that function I'll need to look to the VKB throttle :thumbup:

For the radio menus navigation I use SRS + Voice Attack + VAICOMPRO so I don't even see the menus in game anymore (I've turned them off).

This is why I'm torn on how much of a benefit all of these extra buttons would provide me...I just can't seem to think of anything that I, personally, will use them for.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Regarding the F10 map stuff, am I correct in assuming that you plan to use the Sony analog stick (on the left side) to navigate the F10 menu ruler, etc, instead of the mouse? I debated that too, but determined that I don't mind (and feel I would be more time efficient by) pulling my hand off the stick to get my bearings/distance/SA really quickly...after all, I don't really gain much by having my hand on the stick when F10 is up and I can't see where I am flying anyway, haha (I've died far more times than I'd like to admit when buried into F10 bearing calcs, etc). I guess I am just looking to understand a bit more your thoughts on the benefits here?

For VR zoom, I need that to be bound on my throttle hand...why? Because I like to zoom in on my target (air or ground) before firing and I need my right hand thumb to be free to press the pickle/fire/weapon release button to achieve a zoomed in firing solution. So for that function I'll need to look to the VKB throttle :thumbup:

For the radio menus navigation I use SRS + Voice Attack + VAICOMPRO so I don't even see the menus in game anymore (I've turned them off).

This is why I'm torn on how much of a benefit all of these extra buttons would provide me...I just can't seem to think of anything that I, personally, will use them for.

Whatever you find yourself using throttle base switches or key commands for, you can bind them to the buttons. My MCG has made it possible to keep my hands on the stick and throttle for 90% of the actions I will make when flying the harrier. You just have to experiment and be creative with your bindings ;)

It was mentioned that they're shipping a container full of GF+MCG's from China in the middle of January. That means it should probably make it to Europe by mid- late Feb, so probably we'll have it by March. A bit too long wait, if you ask me :)

But what you do, when a medium shipment container alone costs from China to Europe about 1100-1500€ (ie, when you are moving to live in a another country after decades, you ship a lot of stuff to new home) and it is super cheap, even when it takes 1-2 months.

Whatever you find yourself using throttle base switches or key commands for, you can bind them to the buttons. My MCG has made it possible to keep my hands on the stick and throttle for 90% of the actions I will make when flying the harrier. You just have to experiment and be creative with your bindings ;)

I can with a G940 already keep hands on throttle and stick 100% of the time.

Of course I am using a VR mouse to operate the both MFCD as I haven't binded the most used ones to anywhere, as I so rarely need to do so.

Just waiting that we get a 4K (per eye) HMD + support for Leap Motion device so we could more naturally operate the cockpit by pointing with a hand and pressing a button in stick to click/scroll.

A quick update:

there was no feedback from us in 2 days as we were preparing a shipment to the US which finally happened, and nearly a full truckload was collected on Friday from our facility.

Now there is only something like 15 to 20 more individual parcels, and all our pre-orders will have been served.

Your questions:

will be answered today and tomorrow.

Programming:

will (hopefully) be explained in a FAQ we are going to sit down to write as soon as I'm done with coffee and posting up this very message.

Patience, people ;)

Edited by AeroGator

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

I noticed that the left analog slew on my MCG pro registers as an analog axis (as expected), but also as button presses in the DCS config. Is that expected? I haven't seen anyone mention that yet....

1 - Have you altered anything at all in basic configuration?

2 - What are the numbers of buttons that you see pressed when you move the [left analog] slew?

What you see is certainly not a problem and does not mean anything is wrong, just the configuration needs some clean-up.

>

AeroGator

Does anyone know how to have TM Target Script ignore the WH joystick? I think I can write that into the header but it doesn't hurt to ask you guys if someone has done it successfully and left the TM Throttle active.

Programming:

Not sure what you meant by "Does anyone know how to have TM Target Script ignore the WH joystick? I think I can write that into the header but it doesn't hurt to ask you guys if someone has done it successfully and left the TM Throttle active". Please explain.

Not sure we will be able to help in programming your TM product, as our approach to programming is principally different; user doesn't have to know any programming language and can simply configure/map desired functions to controls of his choice. But anyway, I will answer better when I know exactly what you meant above.

We are working on FAQ so maybe it will help, too.

Talking springs, if you like strong resistance on your controls you can install #30 cams and #40 springs (or even double it), and the feeling will be even stronger than that of a TM joystick - but maybe systematic workouts in a gym could pump up your muscles better! :joystick:

>

AeroGator

Harrier (or Hornet or Tomcat in the future)

Within a month, maybe less, Matt and the lead tester at DCS office will receive the samples of this joystick, and I believe this will help in making optimized profiles for the birds you mentioned.

>

AeroGator

Talking springs, if you like strong resistance on your controls you can install #30 cams and #40 springs (or even double it), and the feeling will be even stronger than that of a TM joystick - but maybe systematic workouts in a gym could pump up your muscles better! :joystick:

I already asked in the general section of the VKB forum and it has yet to be answered (probably because of the rush), but since you brought up springs I'll ask here too.

With the higher height of the MCG I'm thinking I might need to increase the spring strength to keep the same feel, but I'm already using a #40 spring that came with my Gladiator Pro MkII. I know not to use multiple springs, but is the #50 safe to use with the plastic gladiator base or is it only intended for the Gunfighter?

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

ASUS PG348Q. VKB Gladiator Pro w/MCG, X-55 throttle and MFG Crosswind.