Video Tutorial for Animation Setup in 3ds Max

I know it took me foooooooooooooooor ever to get the landing gear rotation to work.

and even now i dont think it's working right...

I had to rotate 90 degrees, Key frame, repeat for the 360 rotation, if i tried KeyFrame, rotate 359, keyframe, it wouldnt work at all.

^gear rotation

Key frame:-100->100

-100-->0: not set

0--> 50:180 degrees( or -180 degrees)

50-->100 :180 degrees ( or -180 degrees)

=you have 360 degrees rotation

If you are talking about the wheels, what I had to do was turn autokey on, set a key at 0, move the slider to 50 , turn the wheel 180, move the slider to 100 then turn the wheel another 180 in the same direction. Worked for me.

Hopefully I am not too late to the party. I always do increments of 90 degrees for rotation. Dont forget to go into the Curve Editor and set to Linear from the default slightly curved line. Otherwise it will slowdown slightly at the Key Frames.

i was under the impression for animations is was -30 / +30 for frame counts.

I have seen -30/+30 properly but not entirely sure why. -100/+100 is the proper way from all the documentation I have.

Edited by luckybob9

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1418067&postcount=1

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

• 8 months later...

Anyone have some tips for adding helpers to vehicle models to get the tire turn and rotation to work properly? When my models wheels spin they are fine, but when the front wheels turn they become distorted and like they are spinning around the wrong axis.

Anyone have some tips for adding helpers to vehicle models to get the tire turn and rotation to work properly? When my models wheels spin they are fine, but when the front wheels turn they become distorted and like they are spinning around the wrong axis.

What are your current steps?

Proper way is:

Add dummy helper. Allign it to rotation point of the wheel. Link the wheel to the dummy. Then animate the dummy helper at 90 degree increments. Change the curvature to liner.

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

What are your current steps?

Proper way is:

Add dummy helper. Allign it to rotation point of the wheel. Link the wheel to the dummy. Then animate the dummy helper at 90 degree increments. Change the curvature to liner.

Here you go, any assistance would be greatly appreciated:

few things to throw at you:

It looks like you have dummy squares and dummy points for the wheels, only a dummy box is needed

The rotation lock is not needed, uncheck all values to be safe if that is the issue

I dont think a bounding box is needed. It was needed in the .lom model format, but I have have never used them since

Your question about "keeping argument active". If you are referring the 'set active' in 3ds max, that is only for 3ds max and has no effect elsewhere. It is only so when you make changes, max knows what specific animation you are trying to change

Instead of having three back wheel animations, (two wheels and one axle), you can link the axle to a wheel or link both wheels to the single axle

Your axle animation needs key frames at every 90 rotation. It looks like you only have a 0 and 100 designated

Wheels rotation only about 90 in model viewer: Did you configure the animation timing in max to be custom 100fps and NOT the standard NTSC 30fps? Same thing for wheel left and right turning.

I THINK the enable animation thing you did activates all animations at once. So if this is what it does, it makes sense that since you have rotation and turning on the same dummy, and it tries to activate both at once, it will combine the two into the result that you see.

If you want to send me the model I can take a closer look

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

few things to throw at you:

It looks like you have dummy squares and dummy points for the wheels, only a dummy box is needed

The rotation lock is not needed, uncheck all values to be safe if that is the issue

I dont think a bounding box is needed. It was needed in the .lom model format, but I have have never used them since

Your question about "keeping argument active". If you are referring the 'set active' in 3ds max, that is only for 3ds max and has no effect elsewhere. It is only so when you make changes, max knows what specific animation you are trying to change

Instead of having three back wheel animations, (two wheels and one axle), you can link the axle to a wheel or link both wheels to the single axle

Your axle animation needs key frames at every 90 rotation. It looks like you only have a 0 and 100 designated

Wheels rotation only about 90 in model viewer: Did you configure the animation timing in max to be custom 100fps and NOT the standard NTSC 30fps? Same thing for wheel left and right turning.

I THINK the enable animation thing you did activates all animations at once. So if this is what it does, it makes sense that since you have rotation and turning on the same dummy, and it tries to activate both at once, it will combine the two into the result that you see.

If you want to send me the model I can take a closer look

Thanks luckybob, I know my fps was off, I believe I got it working, when I get home I'll test again.

I do have a question about creating the collision.edm file. It seems that most vehicle models have a collision.edm file but I cannot open it in Model Viewer, I get a shaderfx error. Any advise?

not sure about the error. Collision models are a basic shape of the edm. They can be exported in the same file with the proper naming, or a second file with it being declared in the .lods file

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

Suspension and weight distribution are off (did not tweak), but LOD, collision model, and destruction model functional. On to creation of up-armored HMMWVs, Technicals, & MRAPPS! Special thanks to luckybob09 and edgepilot who gave great advise!

Not to smart-ass but to avoid confusion...the "gizmo" as stated in the tutorial doesn't say much about the pivot of the object. You need to have the pivot aligned where you need it.

When set to "use pivot point center" as in the video it just happens to be the same.

EDIT: actually its possible that only the direct transformation of the object as animated is considered on export no matter where the pivot is in which case the gizmo would be the defining "pivot".

I guess luckybob9 can tell us which is the case.

Also you can set 3dsmax to automatically set linear keys right next to "keyframe filters" so you don't need to change it afterwards.

In "keyframe filters" you can actually say that max only sets keys for rotation on creation as well.

Good video! keep it up!

Edited by Weltensegler

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi to all,

I'm trying also to correctly animate front wheels as Ranger79 tried several time ago,

I'm getting the same issue, front wheel rotations & spins are activated in the same time in the sim with the result you can see in the video below :

Here is how it is set in Max :

Glvu2.jpg

If I understand well, I can't make "child" an object to multiple "Dummies Helpers".

If someone could helped me, that would be greatfully appreciate, many thanks in advance ;)

Ok, it seems that I have found the "trick"

As I observed the default UAZ model : http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2014/11/09/akj68.jpg

(with "show connectors" & "show animations")

We can see that there are no Dummies Helpers !!

So I simply add an animation (spinning) to the mesh of each wheel and kept the dummies for rotations and that seems to work !! If this can help other "modders" ;)

Would be fun, if this animation could be made, when a wheel is hit too.

i5 4670 - Sabertooth Z87- GTX Titan - Dell U3011 30" - 2x8GB RAM 1800 - Samsung 840 EVO 512GB SSD - Warthog HOTAS - CH Pro pedals - TrackIR5 - Win7 64bit

EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE :thumbup: