VKB Flight Controls

SnoopyTheAviator

VKB Flight Controls  

25 members have voted

1. 1. VKB Flight Controls

• Track IR
    • VR

Might wanna check the thread "input and output /VKB"...

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I own TM Warthog and tho I am so far happy with it, there are things that owners of "better" sticks say they do not suffer, like too much friction around centre which is important for helicopters and precise formation flying. Also, you can get a longer stick right away and many more options our kind of breed look for and pay for, just TM doesnt have those options ready.

The rudders, I dont know, I own Saitek and they sure miss some fidelity for helicopters. It's plastic more or less, old style potentiometer, I am actually lucky they still perform as good as they do. I would not buy them again but look at MFG Crosswind or some from Bauer, which i think are the best from reading reviews, tho the crosswind aree excellent too. You have to check their variants and pick the one you need most,with toebrakes or not, wide, narrow..etc... . I should get some too tbh. I could live with a Warthog Hotas for 10 more years but the rudders...if you like helicopters get some good ones, not TM and not Saitek. They are ok for taxiing Jets and good enough for occaisonal propeller times. If WWII props are your main thing, same as helicopters, get good rudders.

VR and TiR. I own both but havent used the Rift for like 2 month by now. I got motion sickness and until I have some more free time I may leave it aside and use TiR. The difference, well, hard to describe, you simply cannot.

VR is a huge experience for your senses, you will be blown away by it's effects and affects maybe too ( like motion sickness ). The immersion is a magnitude above what you have seen before, that different it is and that is what wants me to go back, go back to VR despite the motion sickness ( I may get over it eventually ), despite the much lower level of detail and clearity of the picture, oh yeah, you have to dial back your graphical expectations but will be rewarded with a different thing, real 3d experience.

If you suffer fear of height, you will encounter this fear in VR, with Oculus right in the Intro..lol...if not the Trex will get you LoL. i mean, its 449 bucks and if you can spare them, it's well worth it, the family loves it, some are too young to wear it yet, their skull is too small, but the older ones, like 12y + really enjoy it. 2 persons I had put it on had to take it down after 10 sec. They couldnt stand it at all, totally disorientated etc.. . So I have mixed results across like 30 people who have tried it at my place.

For VR you need a beefy card, at least a 1070, better much bigger, sad but true. The CPU load is modest, if your CPU runs DCS well, it should be ok. More cores help in VR, so does 32GB. I would not try VR and MP with 16GB.

In VR you wont see much detail, enemies appear VERY late, they are almost impossible to vis-ID until you are stuck in his tail pipe, it may be not the best suited for actual combat with complicated situations and Furballs etc.

It is ok for Jets and modest threat environments or helicopters like Mi-8 & Huey, Ka-50 too. A flight across caucasus, nothing beats that in VR, hopping the tress and rivers & mountain ridges, unmatched experience, that 1 flight with VR alone was worth the 449€. That and spinng the L-39...not the same with TiR. A totally different level of experience, despite all the catchbacks.

TiR is much less demanding, actually, some of us think TiR has a bug and needs to be locked to 60fps or you will have stutter when looking L and R out of the window. So for now, if you can hold 60fps at your desired LOD, you are all set for TiR. I would not want to ever ever fly without either TiR or VR, not being able to look around one or the other way is the single most severe disadvantage you can have. TiR 5 Pro is great, my recommendation, if you can afford, simply get BOTH. VR for the experience and TiR if you fly missions where the VR`s low LOD and pixel density is a huge drawback.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Great responses.

My hardware is plenty good. I have 8600k @ 5.3 with a 1080ti.

I race in Vr at iracing. No motionsickness. I bought track ir anyway. So will try both.

Now to figure out how to change my rudders from being assigned to my thrusters!!! Absurd.

In the settings, the thrusters are just called left thruster right thruster correct?

For the time being I want to use my twist in flight stick as rudders

Can't comment on the pedals, but the VKB Gunfighter is excellent especially when paired with the MCG Pro grip.

Virpil is very good also.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

VKB Gunfighter is amazing, lots of buttons and the base feels really good, very smooth and always returns perfectly to center as long as you adjust it properly and calibrate with their software.

I have crosswinds instead of the VKB Pedals so I can't really comment on that.

Track IR would be a fantastic item for you to buy as well.... VR with the current gen isn't "there" yet imho. The new pimax devices may change that but I am still waiting on mine to arrive and they don't go on sale to the general public until next year some time.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Ok so did some flying and a lot of crashing last night in the SU.

I tried in VR and also Track IR.

I had no difficulty at all seeing dials in VR at 1.5 on their slider. I had graphics turned all the way up.

In Track IR I could not see the dials. It was too small. I am in 2560x1440 (2k).

From everything I heard this was supposed to be the other way around. Why would I not be able to see the dials well? They were crystal clear but just tiny.

Thanks everyone, trying to learn.

1FD5E13D-2EAC-4B22-8F5A-28949BDE0104.thumb.jpeg.0982a974d070b17ce94f1182a086a93f.jpeg

8EB337F0-21FA-44C0-B892-A5A7779BB310.thumb.jpeg.9b133c528622c8d19178e39e015cb410.jpeg

14B6C4E3-5021-468B-ABD9-617A365F274B.thumb.jpeg.6c830aba79f6678c585d35815047c53e.jpeg

Zoom is your friend. Map it (altough different) for use in both TIR and VR.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10