Smoky Engine Effects

Gecko6

Such thing should have been done a long time ago. In FC1 times I heard that engine is too limited.

In FC2 times as earlier.

In FC3\DCS: World times I hear it is still not makeable to simulate.

I don't know what can be so difficult to simulate .... engine smoke, which is one of the primary aircraft's attributes (even very lightly visible).

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

World (as ED's sims always have) lacks a readily customizeable particle engine. an efficient particle engine would be a huge improvement to the environment, but we can only hope that will happen in the future.

There may be more options available to EFM developers, although still limited to the ever-confusing HLSL. That remains to be seen.

Nono i mean i want to change smoke pod colors! if i arm my a10c or my f15 with red smoke pods it is only blue i have no idea why and maybe add custom RGB to it would be awesome! that was my question finally :D thanks finally

i found the RGB's in the file Blaze mentioned. But Red smoke pod and so on is red etc but why is it ingame blue o.O

Edited by GottHold

Have a nice day!

Its a bug with DCS world at the moment. The Lua I mentioned is right, but you'll have to wait until the bug is fixed.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Nono i mean i want to change smoke pod colors! if i arm my a10c or my f15 with red smoke pods it is only blue i have no idea why and maybe add custom RGB to it would be awesome! that was my question finally :D thanks finally

i found the RGB's in the file Blaze mentioned. But Red smoke pod and so on is red etc but why is it ingame blue o.O

The smoke pods (as well as the missile flame colour) are fixed in 1.2.3.

Sorry if I hijack this thread, but I wanted to know if it's possible to change the missile smoke trails in DCS World.

I find that the current missile trails dissipate way too quickly. A rocket motor should leave it's white smoke in the air a lot longer, similar to engine contrails at high altitude (which are simulated correctly in DCS World).

Is it possible to simulate this effect for A/A A/G Missiles?

I just wanted to add into this discussion that the smoke was caused by the type of Fuel used. Aim-120's and modern jet engines using JP-8 instead of JP-4 do not smoke. The only time I witness smoke out of the F-15's flying around all day here at Kadena Air Base in Okinawa Japan is during their takeoff with Full After Burner engaged. JP-8 is designed to be smokeless when burned.

• 1 month later...

you realize that GA prolly puts more layers of effects over his video footage than most skinners do in photoshop right?...

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 2 months later...

Anybody could indicate the parameters to change the smoke?

I have seen the file "drawinfo.lua" but not equivalent to the variables "dx" and "dy".

My interest is to get a smoke less wide and more durable. Basically more realistic.

Thanks for your work. My wingman start this thread and we are trying to put smoke to ka-50 for acrobatic flight. We belong to Patrulla Helibelula.