SFX100 DIY Motion sim - Programmer needed!

Wmacky

Helicopter: As I mentioned some posts above in my 5. version of the plugin I replaced Roll with rollvelocity and it works very well. I stated that i cant see a reason for yaw because it delivers an absolute degree between 0 and 360 so i didnt use it in my default profiles. But then i replaced yaw with yawvelocity and its perfect for helis in my opinion. In a hover you sense the slightest pirouetting movement and can countersteer with the pedals in a blink of an eye. Also very usefull for transitioning between hover and forward flight and usefull for turns. My 6. Version will contain this feature. I have to do some testing, because i always include a heli and a prop profile in wach version. And with prop i am not sure at the moment and have to do some more flights.

Please come to this thread with a announcement when Version 6 is released!

Do you have more info about your G-seat setup ? Have you posted on the forums about it?

Hi Wmacky, i copied and autotranslated what i have posted in the virtualracing-forum. I think we still are under 5 people on the planet earth who consider putting a diy gseat on a diy sfx-100 System. Feel free to ask any questions:

DeepL Deutsch (erkannt) × 2403/5000 Übersetze nach Englisch Hello, I have tinkered the last days again and again and tried my once with servos operated gseat whose movable plates I had shut down for the SFX 100 actuators, to move indirectly via the SFX actuators. I am so enthusiastic about the driving and flying experience that I would like to post the result here in the forum, where I also had the opportunity to I first heard about the actuators. The G-forces during acceleration and cornering and also in the airplane at DCS now come over permanently as long as the curve or the acceleration process (or e.g. looping with DCS) continues. This is for me again a clear increase of the experience. The lateral guides mounted almost vertically on the plates give the upper body and the legs a lateral feedback. I didn't know before. One is also squeezed correctly into the seat when driving through hollows and when accelerating. In the video you can see that I can catch the Lotus again and again when it breaks out. That didn't work out so well before. Now I can also ride without motion sickness. Before I had to take my head finally over helmet and rubbers into the movement, so I wouldn't get sick. At least for my head, the movements now seem more natural. I also like the fact that the distance to the steering wheel increases when accelerating and decreases when braking. So overall I think a diy gseat on the system could be a possible development. As you can see in the video, I don't know anything about building. Maybe someday someone will be able to find the SFX 100 Alurig construction so extended that everyone can reproduce the whole again sometime in good quality and "in beautiful"? Ideally the seat: - be adaptable to different people - it should allow a cheap mechanical coupling with the 4 actuators - but also 4 more actuators for an even better adaptable control should find space (they might come in the future?) - the same applies to 4 points (pelvis, shoulders) of the 6-point harness (mechanically attached to the floor or plates) - the center of gravity should be deeper than mine - an airplane joystick and pedals for the airplane should find their place (Sidewinder FFB Stick and FFB Wheel redirected to pedals) . The Christen Eagle 2 now also provides telemetry data and I put it into operation with my sfx-gseat. So far the whole effort has been worth it. My long and almost forgotten childhood dream to be able to fly an aerobatic plane at some point became as "real" as I could never have imagined on a simulator. The pilot, who helped with the development, also wrote that he had to stay on the ground for a month while his CE2 had to practice the Torque Roll on the sim and when he tried it out in real life everything was just right. Unfortunately the G-forces were missing. With the SFX-Gseat they are not missing anymore. Rather I use almost 80 percent in my setup only the G-forces and they are clearly too weak but always correctly present. And at least for me the rest is done by the brain. That means the weak but correct G-forces are enough for the impression that everything is right. On my last flight I would have preferred to stop the 20 min flight after 10 min, because I thought I couldn't keep it up. Maybe it sounds too positive now, and I admit I would rather fly in a real aerobatic plane if I could afford it. But I'm really happy that I can now practice aerobatics on a proper level.In my opinion the G-forces are the best supplement for the SFX and I'm really curious what Michael will come up with in that direction. Sorry to all racers for offtopic flying but I'm similarly enthusiastic about driving, though not since early childhood and I really believe that even there the G-forces can increase a lot. . that's a really difficult question, because you experience different strengths in different parts of your body. I only want to deal with the forces you can feel permanently, e.g. over the whole curve. For simplicity's sake I leave out the forces that trigger for a short time and occur, for example, during a lane change or when turning into the curve. They can be relatively high due to the speed of the actuators. I try to write down what comes to my mind. Please correct me if you think something is wrong or if you can imagine that it could be as I describe it. There aren't so many people who feel like exchanging such thought games, that's why I'm sweating in my own juice. I differentiate between real G-forces, which are caused by tilting the platform and forces, which act on the driver in the simulator and should generate felt G-forces at the driver, e.g. the compression of the upper body by the plates during acceleration and also by the indirect tightening of the 6 point belt e.g. during braking. I now assume that the simulator uses a profile via the software that only contains Heave, Surge and Sway, although I find that by mixing very, very small parts of pitch and roll or even their rate of change, even more lively profiles can be created without noticing any mixing of the effects. The mixing happens, but if you can see the cause and assign it, like with a crank you drive on, the brain can filter it out, I think. Ok, so only Heave, Surge, Sway: Real G-forces by inclination: Surge and sway => plus minus 0.1 g so very weak but correct for the brain. Heave: After Heave has moved the platform into a certain static position e.g. in an ideal hollow the permanent vertical G-force is 1g like on the couch. Forces that should appear to the brain as permanent G-forces but are not G-forces: Heave positive - all plates move into most narrow position. In my case their force depends on the preload of the rubbers, which pull the plates forwards or upwards. In a car this happens only within a hollow some longer, in an airplane constantly for many seconds: it hurts in the flanks. In the beginning I had so strongly pretensioned the rubbers that the back plates locked me in place and I didn't want to I slipped down. However, this weakens the effect of the lower plates, which squeeze the thighs together while you sink deeper. That's why I have less preloaded the rubbers and it still hurts like an aerobatic, but I also slide deeper. It feels damn real, but I don't have a dynamometer. My brain says 4g. Heave negative - in the car drive over the top, in the plane outside looping. Now the platform is moving upwards with all the power of the 4 SFX 100 actuators. The harness hangs on non-flexible thin wire ropes, which are fixed under the actuators and all plates drive into the widest and flattest position, thus intensifying the effect of the tightening harness. During my first test ride it immediately bent my metal reversing levers behind the seat. Now I have something more massive and that means only the body gives way. Pelvis, chest and shoulders and also the legs are taken by the harness in the forceps. You have to be really careful with the adjustment. In the inverted flight I estimate times - 1G and if one presses then into the vertical it becomes rather unpleasant - as in genuinely. felt -3g. Surge positive: When accelerating the force is again determined by the tension straps, which pull the back plates outside forward, so that the upper body is pressed into the seat. Surge negativev: When braking, the force is determined by the rear 2 actuators, which pull the back plates backwards on the outside, so that the upper body is pressed forward by the large surfaces into the narrow belts, which are simultaneously tightened by the rear 2 actuators. Here again only the body can give way so be careful when adjusting the harness. Feels violent. Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator[http:/www.DeepL.com/Translator] DeepL Deutsch (erkannt) × 2276/5000 Übersetze nach Englisch Sway e.g. right curve: the right lower plate and the right upper plate are moved by the 2 right actuators in extreme cases to the highest / foremost position, while the right pelvic belt and the right shoulder belt tighten. At the same time the left lower plate lowers and the left part of the back sinks back and the left lateral guides build up pressure on the flank and left thigh. This gives the feeling of rolling out of the seat to the left, which is prevented by the lateral guides and the right shoulder and lap belt. The force of the side guides is determined by the preload of the rubber and the maximum force of the harness corresponds to the right 2 SFX actuators. So be careful when adjusting. Does not feel as strong as inverted flight or brakes, but is credible for me. The harness also puts a lot of strain on you. Let's say better than in my w124 diesel on the motorway entrance. I have no experience with sports cars. I would say this system has nothing to do with my Gseat which was powered by 8 model servos with a total of 175 watts. The forces are dangerously strong and my brain sorts it so that it doesn't notice that most forces are not G-forces. I think that's because the 0.1 g forces are transferred by the SFX 100 without delay due to the inclination. With that my brain says, yes you fly/drive and the other extreme forces which are not G-forces are so sorted in this illusion that I still think - yes you fly and you have to take care in inverted flight that not too much blood is pressed into your brain - at least 2-3 g negative. I sit upright in my study. What I would still find exciting: For reasons of simplicity, my records are bound to the movement of the actuators. This always guarantees that the real weak forces, approx. 0.1 g, arrive correctly in the brain. If you now had 4 more actuators to realize pitch and roll, for example, it would be possible to make a roll more violent than a sway due to the inclination of the road. How does the brain cope with this?

• 2 weeks later...

Plugin Version 6 is now in the discord for download:

-yawvelocity instead of yaw for better tumbling and snap rolls in planes and better pirouetting feeling in helis.

-pitchvelocity for more neutral feeling in the vertical in both.

-some default-profiles to start with

Have fun!

Thanks for the update. Your doing awesome work! Keep fine tuning and hopefully we will have more DCS guys jump in.

Guys, as a reminder, this DIY motion platform can be built for around $2000 ( + cockpit) , and some feel it's even better than a $15,000.00 D-Box motion system. It only requires basic DIY skills and simple basic tools.

A website has been setup with easy to follow build steps, buying lists, how to videos, everything you need. The big focus has been racing which it is fantastic at. However, it has now enter the world of flight with the DCS support HarryHarry has added. Hopefully someone adds support for X-plane soon. Its only a matter of time.

https://opensfx.com/2019/02/20/welcome-to-our-new-site/

And here's a video showing what kinda movement is possible. Watch the whole thing. Especially from the middle to the end!

Edited by Wmacky

My motors arrive in a few days so I should be up and running shortly.

Cool. I have everything but have been dragging my feet on the build. My current computer will not support my Pimax for the visuals, so thats a key parts that needs sorting. I've just started buying parts for a I-9 9900K / 2080TI build.

okay you got me... darn!

Guess this is my new diy project!

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

@harryharry do you have the F14 Tomcat? I'm wondering whether the cockpit shake during flight translates through to the motion rig, or if it's just an animation in game?

The Cockpitshake seems to be an additional Parameter which is exported from the f14. You can feel it in the ffb and the jetseat vibrating uses this Parameter too. Unfortunately the physics modell of the f14 doesnt compute the shake into 6 dof. It only says now shake, shake more,shake less....I find this annoying.because the shaking seems to be intensive but you cant feel feel it in the movement of the plattform. So it is disturbing for me to see it and not feel it. To feel the vibrations in the ffb is ok but i would like to turn of the shaking animation. Do you now if i can disable the wildly moving Cockpit shaking animation?

I did not find anything regarding this, but anybody tried this project with Teknic Clearpath motors?

I am looking into possible substitution of the motors because with Clearpath the controller is built into the motor, also it runs on DC which is simpler for me in north america. Sourcing is much easier too.

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

I did not find anything regarding this, but anybody tried this project with Teknic Clearpath motors?

I am looking into possible substitution of the motors because with Clearpath the controller is built into the motor, also it runs on DC which is simpler for me in north america. Sourcing is much easier too.

Thanks, as I know the software will only work with the motors from the project in github. But to get then from China to germany was no problem.

The Cockpitshake seems to be an additional Parameter which is exported from the f14. You can feel it in the ffb and the jetseat vibrating uses this Parameter too. Unfortunately the physics modell of the f14 doesnt compute the shake into 6 dof.

So you confirm that the Cockpit Shake is only transmitted throught the force feedback output channel only? I have looked for export functions to link DOF but didn't find anything. (Apologies for going off topic.)

Edited by BrassEm

So you confirm that the Cockpit Shake is only transmitted throught the force feedback output channel only? I have looked for export functions to link DOF but didn't find anything. (Apologies for going off topic.)

I cant confirm that Cockpit shake is only transmitted to ffb Chanel. But i can confirm that the shaking is not transmitted to the 6 dofs.

Thanks harry², At least there is a handle to it. Just means much more effort to get at it.

i dont know how this bird behaves in reality. But i think if it shakes that much than the whole plane should shake so that you can feel it in some dofs. Or the shaking is visually exaggerated, because there are only some vibrations and the visual shaking will be corrected in the future at some point.

By the way- i find it flys really nice and i like that it needs trimming and rudder input and feels heavy.