Can F-16 do this? I don't think so :D

Kusch

The CWC "strict restrictions" was the necessity of operating Block 50/52 Vipers without kill removal because they simply couldn't compete with the helmet sight/archer combination coupled with a roughly similar performance capability (Viper had the slight edge on sustaining manoeuvres). At the end of one round of sessions only one Viper scored a MiG kill in close combat and it was after that jet received 18 Archer hits.

JG73 commander Koeck said the American pilots got up and walked out at the debrief, so upset they were about the dominance of the MiG in close combat DSE.

He said, "...even compared with aircraft like the F-15, F-16 and F/A-18 the MiG is a superb fighter. This is due to the aircraft's superb aerodynamics and helmet mounted sight. Inside of ten miles I'm hard to beat (normally), but with the IRST, helmet sight and Archers I can't be beat. Period. Even against the Block 50 F-16 the MiG-29 is virtually invulnerable in the close-in scenario."

But...here is what he said about the MiG in general combat:

"Our navigation system is unreliable with TACAN updates and not very accurate (I'd prefer to call it an estimation system). It relies on triangulation from three TACAN stations and if you lose one you effectively lose the system. We can only enter three fixed waypoints, which is inadquate. For communications we have only one VHF/UHF radio." (which is easily jammed)

"The radar is at least a generation behind the AN/APG-65...it has poor display, giving poor SA and this is complicated by the cockpit ergonomics. The radar has reliability problems and lookdown/shootdown problems. There is poor discrimination between targets flying in formation (due to processor overloading) and we can't lock onto the target in trail, only in lead."

"We suffer from poor presentation of the radar information (SA and IFF problems), short BVR weapons range, a bad navigation system and short on-station times."

Thanks for that. Awesome summary from the Commander.

"Inside of ten miles I'm hard to beat (normally), but with the IRST, helmet sight and Archers I can't be beat. Period."

Gotta love the Germans :D.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They were just scared of having a grounded mki on America waiting for parts. It is not that the airplane could not operate like the Americans.

True, but it is a limitation none the less, and an illustration of the IAF's caability to operate the type autonomously.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 years later...

First thread I posted on, not sure why I keep coming back.

sVIU3beRoL8

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• 2 years later...

Just for fun

click on image to enlarge

181025-F-RH756-0051.JPG

181025-F-RH756-0051

Airmen from the 480th Expeditionary Fighter Squadron, shovel snow around several F-16 Fighting Falcons during Trident Juncture 2018 at Kallax Air Base, Sweden, Oct. 25, 2018. There was about one inch of snowfall overnight and into the morning. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Jonathan Snyder)

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..