Jumo-213A for Dora - Page 15 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #141
Kurfürst

Quick and dirty of course and I am missing the boosted output of the BMW 801 here (2100 PS at SL IIRC), whereas the Jumo curve is for full boost, with MW -50. The normal output was around 1770 PS.

At lower altitudes there is some advantage of the 213 of course, largely due to its more efficient supercharger handling (no see-saw curve), which should show itself between 2-4 km range mostly... However it is seen that actually above rated altitude, ie. 6000+ m for both engines, the two engines are almost perform the same, despite the common myth that the Jumo 213 somehow improved the poor altitude performance of the BMW 801D. It simply didn't, where it improved over it was the much smaller cross setion and smaller drag of the engine installation. So at least at higher altitude practically all of the performance increase is due to the lower drag of the D-9 compared to the A airframe IMO.

EDIT: Added a rough estimate of C-3 injection boosted BMW 801 power levels
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chart Jumo213A1.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	114555  

Vezérünk a bátorság, Kísérőnk a szerencse!
-Motto of the RHAF 101st 'Puma' Home Air Defense Fighter Regiment
The Answer to the Ultimate Question of the K-4, the Universe, and Everything: Powerloading 550 HP / ton, 1593 having been made up to 31th March 1945, 314 K-4s were being operated in frontline service on 31 January 1945.

Last edited by Kurfürst; 03-09-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Kurfürst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:14 PM   #142
Aluminum Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate--IRL-- View Post
I love this stuff, don't understand much of it, but I love it.

Nate
Learn to understand it, and you'll love it more

These engines have a supercharger, a device that compresses the outside environment's air to above normal atmospheric pressure, so more air fits into each cylinder, so more fuel can be burned, increasing horsepower.

These graphs show:

-Engine power produced for a given air intake ('boost') pressure, and how this power output decreases as altitude increases (because the atmospheric air pressure decreases as you go higher, and the supercharger eventually loses its ability to compensate for that at higher altitudes.)

-Specific fuel consumption, which is the amount of fuel burned per hour, per horsepower produced. The higher the HP output, the dis-proportionally worse the 'gas mileage', but the better the acceleration, climb, & top speed. The airplane's range is shortened at higher power levels.

These 'ancient' WW2 piston engines (from all countries involved) were *incredibly* well understood and very highly developed for their time. People that tinker with cars today that have turbos, superchargers, 4-valve heads, etc. etc. and think they have something "high tech" are playing with 70 year old technology

In the 1930s and 40s, the P-51 was today's F-18, the Bf-109 was an F-16, and the Fw-190D-9 was an F-22
Asus Z170-P, i5-6600k at 4.5 GHz, 1.35V w/ CM Hyper 212 EVO, 2 x 8GB GSkill Ripjaws 4 @ 3000MHz 15-15-15-35, Zotac GTX 1070, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440 single screen, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS w/ Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller in place of crappy original electronics

Flying: The art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!
Aluminum Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:51 AM   #143
Nerd1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurfürst View Post
Quick and dirty of course and I am missing the boosted output of the BMW 801 here (2100 PS at SL IIRC), whereas the Jumo curve is for full boost, with MW -50. The normal output was around 1770 PS.

At lower altitudes there is some advantage of the 213 of course, largely due to its more efficient supercharger handling (no see-saw curve), which should show itself between 2-4 km range mostly... However it is seen that actually above rated altitude, ie. 6000+ m for both engines, the two engines are almost perform the same, despite the common myth that the Jumo 213 somehow improved the poor altitude performance of the BMW 801D. It simply didn't, where it improved over it was the much smaller cross setion and smaller drag of the engine installation. So at least at higher altitude practically all of the performance increase is due to the lower drag of the D-9 compared to the A airframe IMO.

EDIT: Added a rough estimate of C-3 injection boosted BMW 801 power levels
I'm curious as to how the C-3 injection worked. As I understand it the 801 already ran on C-3 fuel, so the only reason I can think of for injecting more of it would be that the engine is capable of burning more fuel than the original injection system could provide. Obviously the additional fuel would also carry some charge cooling effect, but that is useless if you end up making the mixture so rich that the engine loses power.

Am I on the right track here?
Nerd1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #144
MAD-MM

Nerd right track C3 Fuel was injected in the supercharger the spray cool down the intake air with that engine can run more rich and produce more power.
MW50 had on the 801 Radial engine much impact in reduce life span, and the more Power output was marginal.
MAD-MM is offline   Reply With Quote